944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

Interior Door Card Vinyl Repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 04:18 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Interior Door Card Vinyl Repair

So I had a slight lifting of the vinyl at the top of my door card so I figured that should be a simple fix only to find my efforts only made it much, much worse! Wish I hadn't touched it but now that I have, does anyone have any experience fixing this mess? The initial problem was that the vinyl has shrunk possibly because it was not originally stretched and fitted under the window scraper trim that also holds the vinyl to the door card. I thought I could heat the vinyl and wet it, stretch it in place and glue it. But every time I heated it, it seemed to shrink back, maybe even more than when I started. It also made the vinyl slightly stiffer so now I don't think it's fixable without using heat. I've seen vinyl fix videos where heat seems to be the solution but that's always with new, modern vinyls and not 40 year old heat cycled German vinyl.

So if anyone has any ideas or links, I would love to hear and hopefully I can restore this back to tolerable. Not looking for absolutely perfect but one look at the following pic will show what I'm dealing with at this point.

Many thanks in advance. (Yes, I did search but everything deals with torn/ripped vinyl or damaged door card particle board.)

Last edited by superloaf; 02-29-2024 at 04:19 PM.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:39 PM
Zirconocene
Rennlist Member

Received 639 Likes on 477 Posts

By any chance, did you find anything on the 928 board? There tend to be a lot of posts about fixing the door card itself, but there's also some information on how to reglue material to the door card.

I don't have any good ideas for you about your current situation apart from perhaps just re-covering the door card, which would have a number of drawbacks.

Good luck
Old 03-08-2024, 02:03 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Zirconocene
By any chance, did you find anything on the 928 board? There tend to be a lot of posts about fixing the door card itself, but there's also some information on how to reglue material to the door card.

I don't have any good ideas for you about your current situation apart from perhaps just re-covering the door card, which would have a number of drawbacks.

Good luck
Thanks again for the help with this problem and in my other thread, you're 2 for 2! Lots of threads in the 928 forum dealing with this. Strange as not much in any of the 924, 944, 951 threads at all and I tend to forget about the 928's even though I've always been a big fan of the car.

Stand by for more info on this problem after I get a chance to read some threads from the 928 folks.

Cheers and thank you.

(Wish I could get some info this quick and relevant about my 986S; argh, that's a troublesome car!)

Quick Reply: Interior Door Card Vinyl Repair