944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

New Car

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 03:32 PM
allstar_02
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Car

I need a suggestion for a new car. I was thinking of a porsche 944 but then people told me that it probably wasnt the car for me. This is what I want in a car: FAST acceleration it doesnt have to be fast stock but with some mods it should be able to get up to 60 in under 6 seconds it doesnt have to go over 200mph but at least 120mph. I also want great handling something close to a 944. It should have alot of aftermarket parts. And NO asain cars
Old 06-18-2004, 07:37 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pls give us the following info

1> use of car

2> budget
Old 06-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A 944 turbo can get to 60 in under 6 seconds. An S2 does 0-60 in 6 stock. However, these are NOT cars you will want to do drag-style launches with. You will kill the clutch, fast, and in an expensive manner. A 944 will cruise at 130+ all day long, comfortably.

Secondly, Porsche aftermarket is NOT cheap. You can easily make a 550hp/550tq 944 S2 turbo that SCREAMS towards triple digits before you know what happened. Its only one phone call to powerhaus. Unfortunately, it will also cost you about $15,000. Supercharge is about half of that in parts.

There is no real bolt on aftermarket for these cars, and the conventional tuning companies dont produce much (if anything) for these Porsches. We have our own set of 944 tuners, and most of it is for the 944 turbo. The only real upgrades worth the money are suspension and safety. These cars are made 100% for handling and have amazing limits and balance.

My recommendation is to go with an older BMW 3 or 5 series car or a Volkswagen. Check out www.vortex.com and you can catch the whole VW crowd. GTIs can be picked up cheap, and modified cheap for big numbers. I can bring my GTI into the 300hp range for less than $5000. The car already weighs 2800lbs. Some weight reduction and it would seriously move. And you can even feel good about driving a VW, because who makes them? Ferry Porsche's brother sister and brother inlaw! Its all one family. Therfor, driving a VW is about as close as you can get to Porsche without one! (crap, they drive great too, especially with a little suspension modding! and most parts are interchangeable! You can totally put porsche brakes on most VWs)

EDIT: Oh and by the way, dont get discouraged if you get some really off posts from this board. It seems rennlist has a funny attitude towards "modding." Modding from inside Porsche companies seems ok, but anytime consideration is given from outside companies people circle like vultures waiting for the flames to begin. YOu might also want to try posting on the main 944 board, or the turbo board. Those get more traffic.

If you have questions and people are being retarded on here, feel free to PM me. I am somewhat familiar with the tuning scene, as most of my friends are in it. (and my last daily car, and current havent been able to remain stock for more than a week...) You can also do a search for 944 tuners, or just ask on the main board, so you can see what you would have to work with.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:34 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 193 Posts

Used BMW M3

Quick Reply: New Car