To swap or not to swap... That is the question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 11:06 AM
choupette.944
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default To swap or not to swap... That is the question

Hello,

Now that I managed to revive my 1989 944 2.7, I am facing a terrible decision, should I leave it intact or should I upgrade it a bit...

I know that the transmission will probably need to be rebuilt. The engine is good now, compression went from 167, 86, 125, 131 to 186, 187, 188, 189 and not leaking oil anymore. But you know, it's a 8v 2.7... Not big on power!

I might have the opportunity to get my hands on a S2 engine and transmission, I am thinking about doing a swap... I would like your input on this, is it worth it?

The rest of the car has been completely redone or in good condition. It is scheduled for repaint later this summer and there is no rust at all.

Thanks

Martin
Old 04-09-2024, 02:05 PM
walfreyydo
Burning Brakes

Received 239 Likes on 207 Posts

S2 will be night and day difference over the 2.7L, but for todays standards it wont be "fast" but it will be much more "fun". Much more torque

The head on the 2.7L is valuable for a 3.0 turbo swap (its the only 8V head that bolts to the 3.0 block without modification), so selling the head and/or engine could help fund your S2 swap.
Old 04-09-2024, 02:36 PM
choupette.944
Instructor

Originally Posted by walfreyydo
S2 will be night and day difference over the 2.7L, but for todays standards it wont be "fast" but it will be much more "fun". Much more torque

The head on the 2.7L is valuable for a 3.0 turbo swap (its the only 8V head that bolts to the 3.0 block without modification), so selling the head and/or engine could help fund your S2 swap.
Thanks for the advice,

Exactly what I thought. I rebuilt the head of my 2.7, I intend to get as much as I can for it! I was not planning on racing with it anyway. But more torque would be more than welcome!

But as a Porsche owner, is it a sacrilege to replace the engine with something other than the original one? I believe it is less an outrage than to place a GM engine in!

M.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:09 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 83 Posts

Since you have a good, rust-free tub, I don't think there is any significant downside, assuming the new engine and transaxle are good-to-go condition. There will probably be a few minor packaging issues to deal with. The S2 air cleaner housing will go under the nose panel. Apparently it does fit in the NA body, but is a tight squeeze. Will add a bit of complication for routine maintenance.

The S2 did come with the 4-pot fixed calipers & larger rotors from the Turbo, and if it were me, I would want to do the brake upgrade as well. Probably the stock NA brakes are OK, assuming condition, but Porsche did feel the need for the more powerful brake system with these cars and brakes are the area I feel most conservative about.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:29 PM
choupette.944
Instructor

Originally Posted by 500
Since you have a good, rust-free tub, I don't think there is any significant downside, assuming the new engine and transaxle are good-to-go condition. There will probably be a few minor packaging issues to deal with. The S2 air cleaner housing will go under the nose panel. Apparently it does fit in the NA body, but is a tight squeeze. Will add a bit of complication for routine maintenance.

The S2 did come with the 4-pot fixed calipers & larger rotors from the Turbo, and if it were me, I would want to do the brake upgrade as well. Probably the stock NA brakes are OK, assuming condition, but Porsche did feel the need for the more powerful brake system with these cars and brakes are the area I feel most conservative about.
I saw the air filter location for the S2, that’s not something I won’t be able to deal with.

I thought about the brakes, surely they are a stronger on a « real » S2, but as there is no significant weight addition, it all comes down to how fast and aggressive you drive it. I know for a fact that I won’t push it to the limit. My wife would not let me anyway! 😂

Thanks for your input

Martin

Quick Reply: To swap or not to swap... That is the question