Starting a 1986 944 non turbo after 10 years Garaged

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:30 PM
tom4152
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting a 1986 944 non turbo after 10 years Garaged

please tell me what you think
New wires, plugs oil change good timing belt new fuel , fuel filter, fuel pump working delivering fuel to rail, new rotor cap, coil tests good delivers spark to plugs, can hear injectors clicking, turns over nice,
dumped old coolant from the radiator filled with distilled water for now.

Will not start. I suspect its the fuel pressure regulator and the injectors arent under enough pressure. What do you think.
BUT
Also there is a mystery wire sheath that is brown and cut. The two wires are "blue and blue with a white stripe" and located popped up from behind the rear timing cover what are those for???

Thanks,
Tom4152
Old 06-25-2012, 04:41 PM
944hal
Pro

If you have spark to the plugs then look at fuel delivery. You say you have fuel to the rail, do you have a fuel pressure gauge? How do you know you are getting fuel to the rail. Are the plugs wet after cranking? I've seen a bad wire on the injector harness prevent the injectors from firing. In a pinch, I've pulled the fuel rail, with the injectors attached, and cranked the motor to see if the injectors fired. Be careful if you do that. Have an extinguisher handy. Also, pull the coil wire and crank the engine until you get oil pressure.

No idea on the wires. Some pictures would help.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:47 AM
tom4152
3rd Gear

Thanks for the reply. I pulled plug 1 and there was no evidence of fuel. i am getting fuel to the rail since I replaced the fuel pressure regulator still with no luck starting. to check the injectors are you saying to pull it with them on, and with the fuel lines? still connected? I guess i will either see fuel or hear them firing without . Could the injectors then be clogged? The fuel pump runs. Is it possible it can run, but not well enough to put up necessary pressure?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 AM
xsbank
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Ten years no-run, probably varnish in the injectors. Spraying fuel in your garage is probably the best way I can think of to blow yourself up...
Old 06-29-2012, 11:06 PM
BradS(IN)
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im still working through my car having not been driven as it should for years. But I will say, every day it drives better and better, and driving it up to expressway speeds seems to help work out all the kinks of sitting for sooo long! Put good gas in, fuel injector cleaner, but most of all, just drive that baby!
Old 07-08-2012, 10:10 PM
cjonesmo
Cruisin'

Hey Tom - I just went through the same thing. Did you drain all of the fuel from the tank and clean it out before you started all of this? Either way, I would agree that the injectors are probably clogged with varnish - pull them out (keeping attached to the rail) and have someone give it a crank and see if anything comes out. If not, either replace them - or remove them and run some denatured alcohol though them to clean them out. There's a youtube video out there with a step by step on this cleaning process. Not sure about your mystery wires though. You can buy new injectors for around $40 each refurb if you google them.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:50 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have your injectors cleaned and flow tested by a professional. It's not expensive.

Quick Reply: Starting a 1986 944 non turbo after 10 years Garaged