944 & 944S Forum 1982-1991

DME issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:37 PM
Rebelprincess944
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DME issue

My 1984 944 has been incredibly difficult and pricey this past year. I am now being told that the DME in it has gone bad. This makes sense due to the starting and other electrical issues that I have expirenced with it, but am apprehensive as to whether or not spend the hefty amount to fix or not. I can't find this part anywhere new and am not to well versed on the reliability of used parts or if they would even work on it. My mechanic is quoting me $2000 for a new one. Sounds pricey to me. Any input, advice, or referral is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!!!
Old 10-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 126 Posts

Go to Rogue tuning and check in with Josh. He can do a checkout for you or o'haul your unit. the DME's are different between the early and the later cars. If you decide to go with a later unit, be sure to change the Air flow meter also. Early to early or late to late. oil and water..they don't mix.

Josh is on this forum, BTW..I think his handle is Rogue ant. If you have a buddy with an early model car put your DME in his harness. If it runs OK...then that is not your problem. It's a quick and easy thing to do. Hope this helps some.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:54 PM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebelprincess944
I am now being told that the DME in it has gone bad. This makes sense due to the starting and other electrical issues that I have expirenced with it, but am apprehensive as to whether or not spend the hefty amount to fix or not.
So...get a new mechanic.

Where are you located? Can you turn a wrench/ratchet? Do you know how to use a volt meter?

Why don't you start by telling us, in detail, what your issues are. Do not leave anything out...cold start, warm start, never start. Explain what diagnostics you have accomplished and what is missing from your engine no-start equation...fuel, spark, or compression.
Old 10-12-2015, 08:38 PM
cambria
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a no start condition with my 88 944na starting late spring. Would always start in the morning but would not start in late afternoon. Found that the flywheel sensors had a intermediate ground. Longer than normal period between indications. Replaced the sensors, replaced the ignition switch and still had the same problem. Since this was in my opinion was heat related, I pulled the DME and removed the cover. Found many suspect solder joints. I re-flowed several joints and re-soldered many. re-installed the DME and have not had a problem since. I examined all of the joints under high magnification, some appeared that they had gotten hot, others flux had seep away from the joint some the flux covered the solder and some had pin holes thru joint and the board. I used a solder station with a temp of 350 and a small beveled tip.

Quick Reply: DME issue