Notices
944 Cup/Spec944 For discussion involving the 944 Cup series including drivers, officials, and other interested parties.

Boiling gas

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2021, 01:00 PM
Glenn R
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Boiling gas

I've run into this a couple times. But last Friday there was a new development.

On some hot days, I'll pull in after a session and when I shut down, I can hear the gas in the tank boiling. Yes, boiling. It happened a couple times during the 2019 driving season. I didn't drive in 2020. But this year, I've had it happen again. Only on hot days and even with the heat shielding I added on the engine compartment fuel lines.

In addition to the insulated fuel lines, I tried to run a fuller tank on really hot days and that seemed to help. However, last Friday, I was at Pitt Race for a track day. The afternoon was one big session where we could enter or leave the track at anytime. It was hot but I wanted to run a long stint. I went out with better than 3/4 tank of gas. At the 45 minute point, the tires were obviously too hot and I came in to check tire pressures and take a look at the "tread" (Toyo RR).

When I shut down, I heard the boiling sound and it was quite vigorous. As I walked around the car, checking the tires, I ran into the new development. Fuel was leaking onto the ground behind the left front wheel. I assumed it was one of the connections between the stock lines that run to the tank and the SS lines I ran from about that point on the car to the engine. I called it a day and headed home.

I have now had a chance to inspect the situation and discovered the fuel did not come from the fuel line connections. It was coming from the carbon canister!

I'm running premium pump gas. And I know the boiling point of gas, especially with ethanol, is pretty low. I don't notice any performance issues. And it happened so rarely that I wasn't to worried. But now that it resulted in a fuel leak and the fact that I'd like to run some endurance races, I need to fix it.

Has anyone run into this problem and how can I resolve it?
Old 12-01-2021, 12:21 AM
aventari
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What muffler are you running?
Old 12-01-2021, 10:44 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Remove the carbon canister.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:28 PM
Glenn R
Instructor

Originally Posted by aventari
What muffler are you running?
It is a stock muffler

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Remove the carbon canister.
I can do that. But how would that cause the gas to boil? I don't understand the relationship.

Old 12-01-2021, 04:54 PM
CL944135I
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you have the heat shield above the muffler in place? Early or late car? If you have the late fuel tank/plastic, does it have all the heat shields on it?
Old 12-02-2021, 08:57 AM
Glenn R
Instructor

Originally Posted by CL944135I
Do you have the heat shield above the muffler in place? Early or late car? If you have the late fuel tank/plastic, does it have all the heat shields on it?
It is an early car (85.1) and has all the heat shields in place.
Old 02-24-2022, 08:20 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

So on a related issue that im working on. I will say that you need to install a fuel pressure gauge. I think what is happening is that your residual fuel pressure is dropping to quick when you shut off the car. More pressure= higher boiling point… i was working on my audi S4 and was having a weird issue were the coolant was boiling in the small hose at the back of the engine after i shut it off … low and behold i found a small leak.. not big… but just enough to hold “ some” pressure but not enough to raise the boiling point where the hose doesnt go.. snap snap snap for about 10 second after i shut it off… not sure about the carbon canister, but in any case, they are meant for vapor and not liquid..
Old 02-25-2022, 03:01 PM
Jeff951NJ
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Are these problems happening while you are driving at Pitt Race buy chance? I only ask as 80+% of our race field has had a issue with there tank pressurizing only at this track. Our ATL fuel cell actually expanded so much hit our driveshaft causing the cell to rupture.

Quick Reply: Boiling gas