Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

HELP 86 951 Turbo Oil Seep ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 04:07 PM
Spegr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP 86 951 Turbo Oil Seep ???

Have a clean well maintained 1986 53K mile 951 Turbo and a oil drip is driving me crazy, and causing it to ever so lightly smoke like hoopty car when I'm not moving. It smokes oil on the exhaust header over the rear pax side exhaust manifold where the EGR port screws onto the exhaust flange/port. It seems worse when I start it up until it warms up. I get a constant drip on the floor after I drive it more like a weep or slow slow drip over days(see pics) It smokes on the pax side exhaust near the EGR extension valve on the header pipe. But the cam tower looks good, is it possible the turbo is leaking inside and dripping down the exhaust pipe?

There seems to be oil collecting on the low point of the oil pan as well but the drain plug is sealed tight? Am I missing something simple here?

Ive pressure washed the engine, and was hoping for a definitive seep somewhere but I can't seem to find it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I want to fix this this week.
Attached Images      
Old 08-21-2017, 04:30 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a significant amount of smoke and could potentially lead to a fire. Please address that leak ASAP. Look at the cam tower gasket, or the cow-shaped cork gasket on the rear of the cam cover.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:13 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 27 Posts

It sounds like the symptoms of a cam tower gasket leak. They are cork and go bad quickly and it is hard to see where the leak is coming from. Plus it is a cheap and easy DIY. Put a new gasket in and see what happens.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Spegr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the Tip: After running some UV Dye thru the oil last night it looks like its the dreaded oil pan seal......its actually only a seep (about 20 drips per day) where the exhaust passes by and deteriorates the seal. Both cam cover seal's were dry and everything is solid except for this drip oil leak around the pan seal
Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2017, 11:28 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 114 Likes on 72 Posts

My oilpan gasket was toast, had the same problem.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:13 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for $hits and giggles, check the back of the BS cover. That little wafer/o-ring can also start to seep. If you do try to tighten the oil pan gasket any, be aware of the torque and pattern.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:22 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 687 Likes on 476 Posts

I lived with a leak from this same area and it was a known to me RMS leak. I chose to live with it until my clutch died. It died back in Feb 17. I just this week replaced both and it all dry back there now. The RMS will drip right onto the hot crossover pipe when stopped. but at idle.
As others have posted here the rear cam cork gasket is also a well known leaker.

Quick Reply: HELP 86 951 Turbo Oil Seep ???