Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

balance shaft belt tension/idler question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 11:59 PM
Bob Price
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default balance shaft belt tension/idler question

Howdy. Water pump went kablooey on my '87 944S, which led to other trouble under the t-belt cover (including a horrifying flat-spotted plastic t-belt idler pulley, and a t-belt shaved to within a hair of snapping). Result was me spending this whole fine Saturday putting in a new water pump, t-belt, balance shaft belt, and so forth. Everything came out fine, except that the t-belt and/or balance shaft belt is singing loudly. Very noisy. From what I find in the archives, I suspect the balance shaft belt. The problem is, I don't have the tensioning tool, and I don't want to get one. So, anyone want to take pity on a stubborn cheapskate and tell me: 1) Is the new belt _really_ supposed to be nearly as floppy as the old one that came off? The old one was looser than a broen in t-belt - felt downright slack to me. 2) How should the idler sit in relation to the balance shaft belt? Just looking at the thing, it seems that the belt should just barely ride on it enough to make the idler spin. Is that right? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob Price, Austin, TX
Old 01-04-2004, 10:08 AM
mochman
Pro

The search tool is your friend.Also try Clark's Garage.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:25 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

the idler should clear the top of the lower bal shaft pulley and belt by .5mm at the same time it should deflect the bal belt upwards by approx 3mm. Put something approx .5mm thick (that is 1/2 mm not 5mm) between the top of the belt, where it rides on the lower shaft, and the idler, and then slide it to the right until it just makes contact with the bottom of the long stretch of belt and lock down the nut ot 35ft.lbs. Some of the new style bal. belts are very noisy, esp. the ones with the scalloped teeth edges. The belt should not be floppy loose, but it should not be as tight as the cam belt either.

Good luck

Quick Reply: balance shaft belt tension/idler question