Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Running super rich - smoke test?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 06:50 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrenD
Joshua just gave me a new chip for my setup. The car ran ok with all the stock parts in place but the turbo was worn out so I had it rebuilt.

I agree Tom , I'd love to get the datalogger working, it was extremely useful on my SC car. I have it hooked up but I cant seem to get it to connect. I'm going to work on getting it to function and get some logs.

I'd be tempted to put the stock parts back on to confirm it is ok that way still. If so, you can focus on the m-tune parts/tune. If not, you can focus on leaks, sensors, etc.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:20 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it were mine, I'd troubleshoot and fix the inability to get more than 8psi through pressure testing. Troubleshooting the logger may also be worthwhile. Both of these are great tools, so I hate to see them bypassed for other options.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:32 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tedro951
If it were mine, I'd troubleshoot and fix the inability to get more than 8psi through pressure testing. Troubleshooting the logger may also be worthwhile. Both of these are great tools, so I hate to see them bypassed for other options.
I agree. I'm going to focus on finding the leak. So I have access to a smoke tester. Where would be the best place to inject the smoke? What should I block off?
Old 07-24-2018, 11:37 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I'd be tempted to put the stock parts back on to confirm it is ok that way still. If so, you can focus on the m-tune parts/tune. If not, you can focus on leaks, sensors, etc.
I just don't have the energy to go back to stock. Even as it is, it's still far better than it ever was stock. The car pulls hard, I'm just not happy with 10-1 0r less AFR's and regardless of what setup have, I'm pretty sure it's a boost leak.
If all else fails, I may go this route, but for now I'm searching for a boost leak.
Old 07-24-2018, 11:43 PM
DarrenD
Racer

I keep going over in my head what it could be. It has to be a boost leak. It idles really well, steady state cruising is fine. Once I go WOT, it goes rich. That means I am loosing air that has already been measured and the DME is dumping in fuel for the air it has seen. The air gets lost, the fuel mixes with what's left, BAM. 10-1 AFR's.

Now to find the leak.

All hoses have been replaced. Al clamps verified for tightness and alignment.
Vacuum lines checked and double checked.and triple checked.
Comp test done, results good.
rebuilt turbo, lindsey wastegate.
Pressure test cant seem to build past 8 psi. I have a fairly large compressor so I doubt that's the issue.
Leaks sounds as if it's in the vicinity of the AOS.
IACV has been disconnected.

What am I missing? Do I have a big fitting on the bottom of the IM that has come off or that I never connected?
Old 07-25-2018, 12:00 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrenD
I keep going over in my head what it could be. It has to be a boost leak. It idles really well, steady state cruising is fine. Once I go WOT, it goes rich. That means I am loosing air that has already been measured and the DME is dumping in fuel for the air it has seen. The air gets lost, the fuel mixes with what's left, BAM. 10-1 AFR's.

Now to find the leak.

All hoses have been replaced. Al clamps verified for tightness and alignment.
Vacuum lines checked and double checked.and triple checked.
Comp test done, results good.
rebuilt turbo, lindsey wastegate.
Pressure test cant seem to build past 8 psi. I have a fairly large compressor so I doubt that's the issue.
Leaks sounds as if it's in the vicinity of the AOS.
IACV has been disconnected.

What am I missing? Do I have a big fitting on the bottom of the IM that has come off or that I never connected?
If you disconnected the IACV, did you block off the ports? It seems obvious tho.
Since you are hearing a large air leak in the vicinity of the AOS, please pursue it. You may have found your leak, you just need to narrow it down more.
Try spraying soapy water in the area and watch for bubbles. I also like to wet my fingers with a damp rag and feel around in the area of a leak, it's easier to feel the direction and location of air blowing against wet skin.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:25 AM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you disconnect the AOS hose from the MAF or J Boot and cap the port before you pressure tested?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:22 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Did you plug the tail pipe when smoke testing? Just tape a ziptie to a cold pipe & remember to remove it. Then it doesn't matter about valve position if intake manifold is sealed also.
ECMs typically spray too much fuel if they have a ****ty ground. Do not use the bellhousing for it's ground, or any other "shared" source. Go straight from the batt or a dedicated clean ground very near the ECM. Same with the WB02.
Old 07-25-2018, 10:40 AM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

If your afrs are good at vacuum and low boost, ia smoke test probably won't reveal much. The leak sounds like it occurs in mid to high boost. In other words, until you pressurise the system to 15 psi or more, whatever is leaking won't leak. A vacuum leak isn't the same as a boost leak.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:05 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I got one of these a while back to diagnose a CIS car and it seriously helps find leaks. Smells odd though.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-25-2018, 06:57 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

I still don't understand how the smoke machine will find a boost leak without 15psi.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:10 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I still don't understand how the smoke machine will find a boost leak without 15psi.
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was saying it wouldn't hold more than 8psi when pressure testing, so I figured the smoke machine would let him "see" where are the rest of the air is coming out (even if just the exhaust).
Old 07-25-2018, 07:49 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

He said his test wouldn't get past 8psi, but his car runs great with great AFRs until boost gets significant. This leads me to believe that a hose or bov or whatever only opens up under boost, not vacuum.
Old 07-25-2018, 08:20 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

He said his test wouldn't get past 8psi, but his car runs great with great AFRs until boost gets significant. This leads me to believe that a hose or bov or whatever only opens up under boost, not vacuum.
Certainly possible. I had a split in an I/C coupler once that would let air out under heavy boost but otherwise be just fine. It was at the bottom of the hose, and even with the hose in my hand I had to bend and flex it get the split to reveal itself. I had checked it many time before I found it. I was reacting to him saying that when he tests the intake with compressed air, he can't build more than 8psi and didn't know where the rest of the pressure was escaping. At least with smoke, he'd know where it's going.
Old 07-25-2018, 09:42 PM
DarrenD
Racer

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought he was saying it wouldn't hold more than 8psi when pressure testing, so I figured the smoke machine would let him "see" where are the rest of the air is coming out (even if just the exhaust).
That's the thinking. Above 8psi it starts leaking badly, If I add smoke it should show me why?

Quick Reply: Running super rich - smoke test?