Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust temps at head

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:44 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts
Default Exhaust temps at head

The laser temp tool was 70% off so of course, I bought it! Immediately put it to work measuring temps where the header meets the head.

Significant and repeatable differences occur with cylinder 3 running hotter than the others and 1 cooler. Do the following results indicate an issue or are these still all ok?

Pics are in order cylinder 4, 3, 2, 1:

Old 08-13-2018, 06:38 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Those versions that don't do Fahrenheit are always 50% off....

T
Old 08-13-2018, 06:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

first thought is that the temperatures, in descending order, match inversely to the pipe lengths.

longest pipes (more material to dissipate heat): 1,4,2,3
hottest pipes: 3,2,4,1
Old 08-13-2018, 07:47 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's normal at idle.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:39 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tedro951
It's normal at idle.
That’s what I wanted to hear

The pipe length idea just adds to the confidence. No need to pull the head again lol
Old 08-13-2018, 10:41 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by 951and944S
Those versions that don't do Fahrenheit are always 50% off....

T
It’s the Canadian Way... both scale and percentage lol!
Old 08-14-2018, 01:57 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

You need to get the IR thermo gun closer to the exhaust pipe.

The instructions should give you a "cone" of measurement based on distance. The greatest accuracy is when the lens is closest to the target, otherwise the sensor sees too wide of a target, which lowers the average temperature the sensor sees.

While the IR guns are great for quick readings, if you seriously are concerned about the temps, you need to buy a thermocouple module for your digital voltmeter. You clamp or hold the thermocouple directly on the header pipe wall and to get an accurate reading. It won't be as accurate as an EGT probe in the exhaust stream but it will be very accurate for making cylinder to cylinder comparisons.

Having said all that, the IR guns are great for quick and dirty temperature readings. Have a couple of them myself.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:36 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
You need to get the IR thermo gun closer to the exhaust pipe.

The instructions should give you a "cone" of measurement based on distance. The greatest accuracy is when the lens is closest to the target, otherwise the sensor sees too wide of a target, which lowers the average temperature the sensor sees.

While the IR guns are great for quick readings, if you seriously are concerned about the temps, you need to buy a thermocouple module for your digital voltmeter. You clamp or hold the thermocouple directly on the header pipe wall and to get an accurate reading. It won't be as accurate as an EGT probe in the exhaust stream but it will be very accurate for making cylinder to cylinder comparisons.

Having said all that, the IR guns are great for quick and dirty temperature readings. Have a couple of them myself.
This is good advice.

An IR gun is also a great way to quickly identify a misfiring cylinder---the exhaust manifold pipe temperature of the offending cylinder will be much lower than the others due to incomplete combustion.

Also very handy for checking coolant issues. But again, they are not always 100% accurate (especially the cheap ones), and different materials and colors emit IR radiation differently, so it's not always an apples to apples comparison (most IR guns come with a chart for converting readings between different colors and materials).
Old 08-14-2018, 11:25 AM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Droops83
An IR gun is also a great way to quickly identify a misfiring cylinder---the exhaust manifold pipe temperature of the offending cylinder will be much lower than the others due to incomplete combustion.
How much is "much lower"? 50%?

I wasn't concerned about exhaust temps--just trying out the new purchase. I'll try and get closer with it.. but it's tight & hot in there! In any case, if these values seem pretty normal as already suggested, I won't worry about it
Old 08-14-2018, 11:14 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
How much is "much lower"? 50%?

I wasn't concerned about exhaust temps--just trying out the new purchase. I'll try and get closer with it.. but it's tight & hot in there! In any case, if these values seem pretty normal as already suggested, I won't worry about it
How much lower depends on the severity of the misfire, but if you had a misfire bad enough to lower EGTs in one cylinder, you'd know it! The IR gun is handy for telling which cylinder is misfiring, not if one is!

For accurate measurement of EGTs for datalogging, etc you need proper EGT probe(s).

Quick Reply: Exhaust temps at head