Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch pedal stayed down....now works fine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 02:38 PM
second wind
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch pedal stayed down....now works fine?

1989 Porsche 944 Turbo.....supposedly sat for years...have been restoring for two years....runs great and recent brake job.....drove to Rennsport and clutch pedal stayed pinned down...used toes to pull back up and pump to get some pedal back...managed to drive with only one inch of pedal.....then all of a sudden pedal starts working normal and comes all the way back and works fine. Would replacing brake fluid and bleed remedy problem. What fluid is best?
Old 10-10-2018, 03:10 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds like your clutch master or slave (or both are failing). Replacing brake fluid is not going to fix it. Most people replace both the master and slave together. If you only do one, it will cause the other to fail in short order.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/clutch-04.htm

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/clutch-02.htm
Old 10-10-2018, 03:34 PM
second wind
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 87944turbo
Sounds like your clutch master or slave (or both are failing). Replacing brake fluid is not going to fix it. Most people replace both the master and slave together. If you only do one, it will cause the other to fail in short order.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/clutch-04.htm

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/clutch-02.htm
Thank you very much for your reply. Some other members claim bleeding is the answer and I was hoping for the best. There are no visible leaks......the fluid could be really really old. Any idea why it started working again? New to hydraulics......thank you again.
gg
Old 10-10-2018, 11:27 PM
michael7810
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine did that a few times after sitting for extended periods when I bought the car. Previous owner did not drive it much. I flushed the fluid and the issue has not recurred in 3 years.
Old 10-11-2018, 01:55 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Sounds like you did a brake job recently. The clutch is hydraulic and uses the same reservoir that the brakes use. I am assuming that when you did your brake job you also bled your brakes. The symptom that you describe is air in you hydraulic clutch line. You should be able to flush your clutch line and cure your problem.

At times the problem can be intermittent, I think that may have something to do with where the air bubble is in the system. I have pumped the clutch pedal up and had very good clutch play but after sitting for a while having to pump it up again.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:59 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

This post is for anyone that may have similar issues and who doesn’t know what and where to check. Check for brake fluid possibly leaking out of the clutch master cylinder(CMC) by looking behind the clutch pedal at the firewall, behind the carpet and thick padding, where the clutch master cylinder pedal rod disappears into the firewall (the clutch pedal rod will pull out of the CMC if the rod is disconnected from the clutch pedal). Another area to check for leaks is at the clutch slave cylinder under the car at the bottom the the bellousing above the starter, it’s best to just unbolt the two bolts holding the slave cylinder to the bellhousing and have a good visual inspection. And check for leaks at the flexible hydraulic hose going to the slave cylinder from the hard line that’s off the CMC. Check all the fitting too. If you don’t find leaks then bleed the clutch system. I highly recommend having the rear of the car elevated when bleeding the clutch system on these cars . I think bleeding the clutch on these cars is easiest on an alignment rack. And you want to disconnect the battery and remove the starter and heat shields, it’s not hard and makes the job actually go faster and A LOT EASIER. That way you can get full access to the slave cylinder.

And for the OP, dude you probably just have air in your line. You might have a leak somewhere so check again. It’s a 30 year old Porsche, go open another bank account like the rest of us. 30! Because you know it was put together in 88 and sold in 89. Don’t worry I feel your pain. I just replaced the CMC/CSC and flex hose on my base 89 944. It’s super fun in the inclinded sand driveway. I was just dreaming of an alignment rack at the time.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:37 AM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Thank you very much for your reply. Some other members claim bleeding is the answer and I was hoping for the best. There are no visible leaks......the fluid could be really really old. Any idea why it started working again? New to hydraulics......thank you again.
Certainly, nice to hear you're restoring the car and welcome to Rennlist. As to your question of why it would start working again, it sounds to me that through your actions of lifting it and then continuing to work it pushed the air back out of the system. But I have to assume that it was fine when you went to Rennsport? So I would guess it was OK when you went to Rennsport, then went to the floor at Rennsport, and then you were able to work the air out of the system and get the pressure to your pedal back after Rennsport. Assuming that is true, the question in my mind is "Why did air get into the system?". Which is what lead me to think that you have a bad seal somewhere as that is most often the culprit for getting air into the system. As others have suggested, usually if you have air getting in, you will also have fluid leaking out. If you were able to get your pedal back, you may have a minor leak and those can be harder to identify.

As for fluid, I have been happily using ATE Super Blue for years. However, I know there are other options out there. I have heard good things about some of the Motul products as well.

Oh and if you have any pics of your car, be sure to post them up, we'd love to see them!
Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 AM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 10-11-2018, 04:25 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

You are on borrowed time IMHO. My car is used sparingly and showed similar symptoms for the last few years after sitting over the winter, usually a few pedal pumps and a drive would bring it back for the rest of the year - actually had the parts laying around for a few years and finally this last year it wouldn't come right after a drive so I replaced them both along with the rubber line, dont want to do that job or anything involved with it 2x. Replace it all.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:23 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

What Sam said. My rubber line had a thin spot rubbed into it and was almost through.

Quick Reply: Clutch pedal stayed down....now works fine?