Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dealer installed carphones? Did they do this in the 80s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 12:47 PM
ZPmadA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer installed carphones? Did they do this in the 80s?

Hi

i contacted the original owner of my 1986 Porsche 944 turbo. They told me they paid $1200 for a car phone in my car. Does anyone know if this was an option in 1986? What is the part number? Perhaps it was aftermarket?

thanks!
Old 04-23-2019, 01:05 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was one option code # 195 which was "Prepared for Cellular Telephone". Now whatever went into that from the factory I am not sure. There is a thread on Pelican with some photos of a car phone which I believe to be the correct unit as it looks very similar to (except I think ours was black) how I remember it as a child in my dads 86 944. I believe there was also a small square mic that went on the visor/a pillar area that was used when you had the call on speaker.

Thread here http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ell-phone.html
Old 04-25-2019, 08:20 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

My 86 came with that option... When I took the system out there was a big Box in the trunk which looked like an AMP... Anyhow, The Cellular receiver box said Porsche on it... That was in the 90s when i took it out.. Sadly I tossed it in the trash.... Ugh...
Old 04-25-2019, 09:50 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My 86 (which I bought in 1999 as essentially the 3rd owner) had a phone kind of like the one shown in the Pelican thread. I assumed it was all aftermarket equipment. I have all the original paperwork including stuff from the dealer. I don't recall seeing anything about a phone but I'll look again. I still have the phone also. The handset and radio (mounted in the rear) have been removed but the wire harness is still in the car. One of these days I'll pull it all out but it's bundled in with aftermarket stereo and alarm components. All that stuff still works and I have no documentation on how it was wired so that's why I've been reluctant to remove anything.
Old 04-27-2019, 09:12 PM
markl951
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

No indication that it was installed by the dealer so not sure how it got in there to begin with...

Old 04-28-2019, 03:37 PM
KEVIN ANDERSON
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually have one of the original Motorola 944 car phones. Back in the 1980s, Motorola thought it would be cool to advertise their new car phone systems by installing them in 5 or 6 944s that they bought from Porsche. I think it was 1984, not positive. Anyway, Motorola bought 5 or 6 944s, all in different colors, and would display them at races and SEMA and that type of thing. They had a small stage and a big display set up, with hot girls and a few parked 944s and they would let people sit in the car and call their friends. They did it all over the country. My friend Jason, had a little shop that restored 944s and he had to close a few years ago when he got divorced. He was always buying used 944s and towing them back to his shop. He just happened to buy one of the original Motorola cars. He gave me the phone. This one didn't have to be physically tied in to the Porsche electronics. It just needed a 12 volt power source. Last year I plugged it into the cigarette lighter and let it charge up. It's in something like a small briefcase. Anyway, I turned it on and it actually works. I couldn't call anybody because the technology isn't compatible anymore, but the phone actually turned on and you could hear tones when you dialed numbers. So yes it is true about 944s and car phones

Quick Reply: Dealer installed carphones? Did they do this in the 80s?