Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is it possible to install the flywheen incorrectly?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:11 PM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Is it possible to install the flywheen incorrectly?

I installed a spec lightweight flywheel a year or two ago on a car I'm still building.

I noticed tonight that the timing mark I put on the flywheel is 180 degrees off from where the cam mark is (90 degrees off on the cam itself since 2x rotation).

Is it possible that I put the new flywheel on 180 degrees out of phase? Can the flywheel be installed in more than one orientation? I just don't remember.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:17 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The flywheel only has one additional small hole drilled in it for the locating pin so there really isn't any way for it to fit except in the proper location unless the pin was somehow not in place.

Now weather or not the engine was at TDC when you installed the other belts; well thats a different story.
Old 04-24-2019, 12:04 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

Honestly, I don't remember if there was a pin or not when doing the flywheel. From pictures it looks like two of the flywheel bolts might be closer together than the others, which would make it impossible to put in any other way regardless of the pin. Can anyone confirm?

I do have pictures from assembly showing the belts in the right position with the engine at TDC, but I need to check the alignment again manually.

I did have a bit of a clicking noise when a test start backfired last weekend. I thought it was the starter being unhappy but I wanted to make sure I didn't jump teeth. I don't think it would have jumped a dozen teeth though. I didn't see any belt damage.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:51 AM
Player0
Rennlist Member

I get to answer my own question. Thought I had sold the old flywheel but still have it here so got to measure. Yeah one bolt hole is offset slightly, meaning that pin or not, the flywheel will only bolt on one way.
Old 05-04-2019, 09:31 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

How did you put the timing mark on the new flywheel? Keep in mind that the stock flywheel has two different marks - the one that shows up at the 'timing pointer' and another one that is at the bottom when the engine is at TDC - view able though an opening in the bell housing. Perhaps you transferred the wrong mark?

Quick Reply: Is it possible to install the flywheen incorrectly?