944 turbo starter upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 11:35 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 944 turbo starter upgrades

http://garage.ideola.com/prod-ElectricsUpgrades.html

I think this is the same one though it doesn't specifically say 944 turbo. https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...xoCv5sQAvD_BwE

Are these starters still available? I read somewhere he went out of business recently? I saw them on pelican parts but at a higher price as well.

I've been having a slow starting condition on my new engine, it has new everything and is still slow to start. I have the updated sensor bracket, new battery, starter, harnesses, grounds good, completely new dme harness. I've replaced about everything and the slow condition continues. I think the starter just doesn't get it moving quickly enough right off the bat so is takes a few more turns to get it up to speed to fire. I'm interested in these high torque starters and if they are worth the buy. Do these eliminate any interference issues that our cars are known for?
Old 05-08-2019, 01:38 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are a bunch of forums regulars who have used the Hi-Torque IMI starter. The one your linked on Pelican is the IMI-155 which is at least the right model but unless is specifies which direction it turns (Clockwise or Counter-Clock) no way to be certain though since they list it for the 944 odds are that is the counter clockwise one.

A couple of older threads on the subject here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-on-951-a.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...a-starter.html
Old 05-08-2019, 01:44 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave951
There are a bunch of forums regulars who have used the Hi-Torque IMI starter. The one your linked on Pelican is the IMI-155 which is at least the right model but unless is specifies which direction it turns (Clockwise or Counter-Clock) no way to be certain though since they list it for the 944 odds are that is the counter clockwise one.

A couple of older threads on the subject here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-on-951-a.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...a-starter.html
Pelican confirmed for me that it fits a 944 turbo. I have an email out to the ideola site to see if they are in business or not and if it's available or not, ideally since they list it at a better price.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:57 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Those are great starters and very well engineered using quality components, when they first came out on a group buy I bought one for all my cars and a spare (below).

However I don’t see how they will fix your issue, they may help idk, but it’s not a fix. There is something wrong somewhere as a regular starter doesn't normally produce a labored start like you describe. Have you done anything performance wise to your car? Raised the compression by skimming the head maybe?

Old 05-08-2019, 08:04 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Those are great starters and very well engineered using quality components, when they first came out on a group buy I bought one for all my cars and a spare (below).

However I don’t see how they will fix your issue, they may help idk, but it’s not a fix. There is something wrong somewhere as a regular starter doesn't normally produce a labored start like you describe. Have you done anything performance wise to your car? Raised the compression by skimming the head maybe?

The head was skimmed but an oversized head gasket was used...it's also a NA head though. It has wossner pistons and rings which have tighter ring gaps than oem. I'm not sure what causes it to crank slower, but it's not all the time. Perhaps the crank position might be the reason for this when the starter begins to crank. Any how, I figure this starter might improve the situation because it claims faster starting at less power strain. Getting the motor cranking faster sooner seems to be the remedy. The car always fires once it gets spinning quick enough. Sometimes it just takes an extra crank or two to get it spinning quickly enough.

Looking to sell that spare?

Last edited by mahoney944; 05-08-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:48 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Maybe your stock starter is worn out or has corrosion on the contacts. While that aftermarket starter is a good part a stock starter will have no problem spinning over a healthy engine. The only reason that you woudl really need a more powerful starter is if you upped your compression ratio to 11:1 or higher!
Old 05-09-2019, 01:38 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris White
Maybe your stock starter is worn out or has corrosion on the contacts. While that aftermarket starter is a good part a stock starter will have no problem spinning over a healthy engine. The only reason that you woudl really need a more powerful starter is if you upped your compression ratio to 11:1 or higher!
if it was compression I'd think it would be like that all the time. The head is a na that had been cut down about .025", the block was skimmed about .005", so I used a lr commetic oversized multi layer gasket .075 thick. I figured the stock gasket is about .043 + the .03 removed that should get me close enough. If anything I figured I may have lowered compression a hair? Sometimes it fires perfectly and other times it takes longer. I've changed most of the engine bay stuff. What can I check on the interior wiring, fuse, relay, switches etc?. When the key goes on what all is involved to to get it cranking? Maybe just tracing it one step at a time will find something.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:32 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944
...I have the updated sensor bracket...
Just confirming you have the sleeve installed in an 87+ bracket?
Old 05-09-2019, 02:35 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Are the starting issues only apparent for a cold engine or warm engine or do you have it for all conditions seemingly randomly?
Old 05-09-2019, 03:33 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Just confirming you have the sleeve installed in an 87+ bracket?
Yes
Old 05-09-2019, 03:35 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave951
Are the starting issues only apparent for a cold engine or warm engine or do you have it for all conditions seemingly randomly?
Just randomly. I had a cold start this morning that took a little longer but the morning before on a cold start about the same time it started remarkably fast, faster than a blink of the eye. Outside temp has been about the same 70f. Warm or cold doesn't make a difference. I use a vitesse logger to verify all my sensors are getting normal readings and they seem to be.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:55 PM
Adker
Racer

I would check fuel pressure bleed off, might have a bad fuel pump check valve. I took mine out to increase flow and it also increased cranking time.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:41 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adker
I would check fuel pressure bleed off, might have a bad fuel pump check valve. I took mine out to increase flow and it also increased cranking time.
It's brand new from the tank to the rail. Also I use the solid state dme relay with pump prime. It always has pressure when cranking, verified with a gauge.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:38 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

OK, sounds like we might be miscommunication here (standard internet procedure). Are you saying that it occasionally 'turns over' slowly or that it takes longer to fire up?
Old 05-10-2019, 03:23 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chris White
OK, sounds like we might be miscommunication here (standard internet procedure). Are you saying that it occasionally 'turns over' slowly or that it takes longer to fire up?
This video isn't 100% accurate because it was taken on my new engines first startup a few weeks ago where my battery was weakened due to the dme relay being dead and trying to start the car. You can see I jumped the dme relay here to get it to start. However, when I say it cranks slow I refer to the revolution of the crank which is slowed or hesitates for a second instead of a consistent spinning which in turn cause it to take longer to start. This video shows the slow down I'm referring to that I get now at random.

Quick Reply: 944 turbo starter upgrades