Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

starting engine that hasn't run in years

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 08:48 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts
Default starting engine that hasn't run in years

I'm hoping soon i will have this engine finally running, it ran before so hopefully all goes smoothly.
few questions though. Ill be doing an oil change. but should I start it for the first time, THEN change it or change it before I start it?

I will be pouring oil into every open spot I can (cam tower, turbo, few drops in the cylinders) and crank it to build some pressure before starting)
Old 05-27-2019, 10:18 AM
Noahs944
Race Car

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Remove spark plugs when cranking until you see oil pressure on instrument cluster then install plugs & start. I'd start with the old oil unless you have reason to think it's contaminated. You can removed the oil pan plug for just a moment & see what the oil looks like and then base you decision on that. I'd check the oil (water settles below the oil on a still engine), top up with ATF (auto tranny fluid) or Engine Sea Foam or a Lucas product to help clean it out with detergents. Bring to temperature after high idle for a few minutes, then replace. Keep an eye on the timing belt & also make sure the coolant water neck is bled if needed.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:00 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Some good suggestions from Noah. Be sure to turn to engine over by hand a few revolutions to ensure it isn't seized.
If it were me, I'd buy some cheap, low viscosity oil like 5w30 to replace the existing oil. This removes any water that may have settled, and gives you some thin oil to quickly flow through passages and get into the lifters. Your lifters will likely clack for a while regardless of which oil you use.
After confirming the car runs fine, then replace the filter and put in a better oil.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:53 AM
Not_Sure
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

what about throwing some motorflush in before I start it?
I have the cam tower off now. Im considering dunking the lifters in oil, but id like to wipe them down, before putting them back in the cam tower so that I dont have any drippage on the gasket/headers, would that negate dunking the lifters?
Old 05-29-2019, 11:07 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way to really ensure the lifters are pre-primed is either forcing oil with a syringe into the inlet hole (which depending on who you ask has varying degrees of success) or using a vacuum pump connected to some vessel like a mason jar with necessary lid fitting to purge the trapped air with the lifter completely submerged in oil. Once the bubbles stop the lifter is primed.

With that being said you don't necessarily have to go that route and just see if they manage to quiet themselves normally over time as the engine runs. If they don't then you can always address via the above methods.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:41 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Not_Sure
what about throwing some motorflush in before I start it?
If the oil looks clean and not cruddy around the valvetrain area then I wouldn't bother. If not, then maybe throw in some Seafoam or similar to break up any deposits.

Any idea how old the timing belt is??? If > 7 years I'd certainly change it before trying to start.

Quick Reply: starting engine that hasn't run in years