Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Gasoline in KLR line?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 05:26 PM
951North
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gasoline in KLR line?

I'm experiencing misfire and hesitation in all gears at ~1.5bar. (Due to spark plug gap being out of spec) I pulled the DME and KLR to have a look as it felt like some sort of boost related issue and found fluid in the line to the KLR. That doesn't appear to be normal?

1. How should I drain it?
2. What caused this?

Thanks.

Last edited by 951North; 06-17-2019 at 07:36 AM. Reason: edited title
Old 06-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Wow.. interesting! I guess clearing it would be easy--disconnect both ends and shoot a little air in there--but I'm curious what liquid it is (?) You pressure wash your engine recently?
Old 06-10-2019, 05:52 PM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
Wow.. interesting! I guess clearing it would be easy--disconnect both ends and shoot a little air in there--but I'm curious what liquid it is (?) You pressure wash your engine recently?
Gasoline.

Still misfires under boost...

next.
Old 06-10-2019, 06:03 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

What? How does gasoline get into that line? I understand with a failing FPR it can get into the FPR's vacuum line but then what, get sucked through the entire vac system and into the KLR line?

Weird
Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 PM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
What? How does gasoline get into that line? I understand with a failing FPR it can get into the FPR's vacuum line but then what, get sucked through the entire vac system and into the KLR line?

Weird

From the Pelican boards...

Is it maybe fuel? I once had the fuel pressure regulator leak fuel back into the vacuum line that connects to it and some apparently wound up in the tube that goes to the KLR. I could tell it was fuel by the smell. It took me a while to find the source. I eventually wound up putting a piece of clear hose between the FPR vacuum fitting and the vacuum hose that normally connects to it and I could see intermittent leaking. Replacing the FPR has fixed the problem so I am concluding that that was the only source.

Might have had some oil mixed in from leaky valve seals or turbo but definitely gasoline in there...
Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have written about this exact subject http://dave951.blogspot.com/2016/07/...mper-hose.html

As for cleaning it out just disconnect it from the KLR side. Remove the line from the IM banjo bolt, then blow a bit of compressed air thru the banjo side (have a rag on the other to catch the trapped gas.)
Old 06-10-2019, 08:30 PM
951North
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave951
I have written about this exact subject http://dave951.blogspot.com/2016/07/...mper-hose.html

As for cleaning it out just disconnect it from the KLR side. Remove the line from the IM banjo bolt, then blow a bit of compressed air thru the banjo side (have a rag on the other to catch the trapped gas.)

Did you have any drivability issues? Symptoms?

I'm due for a new FPR as I hope to go to a Vitesse MAF soon, fuel damper too then?
Old 06-10-2019, 08:36 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 951North
Did you have any drivability issues? Symptoms?

I'm due for a new FPR as I hope to go to a Vitesse MAF soon, fuel damper too then?
I vaguely recall some driving hesitation but I think I was mostly having labored starts that got me looking around at the time. In my case I had a relatively new 3bar FPR so I was fairly confident that wasn't the problem source which led me to look deeper at the damper. Likely both the FPR and damper could cause this same issue.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:21 AM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave951
I was mostly having labored starts that got me looking around at the time.
Labored starts as in having troubles cranking over?
Old 06-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Chapman951
Labored starts as in having troubles cranking over?
No, it would crank normally. But it would take entirely too long to actually start. I think I first noticed the fuel in the KLR line when I was proceeding to inspect the speed/ref sensors which was my first line of thinking on the starting issue at the time.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:09 PM
kev951
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

a leaking fpr can do this, as the vacuum lines can T off of each other.....
Old 06-16-2019, 11:16 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

yes the problem is the fuel pressure regulator. there is a membrane or check valve thingy that failed and is allowing fuel to get poured into the KLR. For me, car would drive great for few mins until circuit board got wet then would hard to start and run poorly.
was hard to figure out cause the board would dry..
Old 06-24-2019, 02:38 PM
951North
Pro

Update:

I replaced the FPR and took apart the old one.

When I removed the vac line from the FPR there was a bit of gasoline there but I'm not convinced it was from the FPR (read on). There were no obvious cracks or tears in the diaphragm but it was hard as hell. I ran the car around town and let it sit to see if the problem was resolved. No dice. Gasoline in line again. As per DAVE951 I suspect the Fuel Dampener. So at the moment I have disconnected the vac line from the dampener (there was gasoline there also, and may have contributed to the gasoline in the FPR vac line) and have plugged the vac line and sealed the vac port on the dampener. There doesn't appear to any change in drive-ability. Also there was no gasoline in the KLR line. So it appears the Fuel Dampener and possibly the FPR were co culprits.

Quick Reply: Gasoline in KLR line?