Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Radiator fan keeps switching on and off

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 03:55 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Radiator fan keeps switching on and off

Lately, my radiator fan will only run for about 5 - 7 seconds at a time, then stop for around 3 seconds, then start again. It still comes on at around the right temperature and stops completely when the temp is back down - it just won't run for long periods uninterrupted like it used to. Anyone run into this before? I haven't touched the cooling system lately.
Old 07-13-2019, 04:39 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,589 Likes on 993 Posts

No idea. Other than perhaps the temp sensor is failing and reading are swinging wildly up and down in large blocks.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:41 PM
Tedro951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this happen when A/C is off?
Old 07-13-2019, 07:45 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

have you checked the fan resistors? They are behind the glove box under the dash, the wiring gets fried from the amp draw of the fans.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:19 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Tedro951
Does this happen when A/C is off?
Yes - it's always off because it's not working

Originally Posted by gpr8er
have you checked the fan resistors? They are behind the glove box under the dash, the wiring gets fried from the amp draw of the fans.
Not lately. Mine are actually in a different location (in the battery tray behind the battery). The wiring has been in rough shape for a while, but I don't see how it would cause this frequent on/off behaviour. I'll take a look though.
Old 07-13-2019, 08:48 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Not lately. Mine are actually in a different location (in the battery tray behind the battery). The wiring has been in rough shape for a while, but I don't see how it would cause this frequent on/off behaviour. I'll take a look though.[/QUOTE]
Resistance caused by deteriorating wire will cause problems, heat and current fluctuation
Old 07-14-2019, 09:55 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

So is the Fan Running just on high? it is one of two things.. The 3 pole switch in the Radiator, or as stated above the fans... I Cut all my Resistor wires out of the race car and deleted the Resistor blocks.. Now my car does the same thing... only runs on "High" but it only runs after if come offf track...
Old 07-14-2019, 11:13 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GPA951s
So is the Fan Running just on high? it is one of two things.. The 3 pole switch in the Radiator, or as stated above the fans... I Cut all my Resistor wires out of the race car and deleted the Resistor blocks.. Now my car does the same thing... only runs on "High" but it only runs after if come offf track...
I'm actually not sure which speed it's running at. I had assumed it was low speed but now that you mention it it was kind of loud. Maybe it is running on high. But it's definitely happening at the temperatures that would normally result in low speed. I wonder if running on high speed could explain why it only runs for a few seconds - because it's actually cooling things down that fast?
Old 07-14-2019, 11:47 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Yes that is exactly what is going on... The fan comes on high... Cools the RAD so fast it shuts off, When it shuts off because there is only one speed working. Under "Normal" conditions, the temperature would never get that high, The fans would come on normally on low and run there cycle and shut off.... With the low speed in-operable the fans come on high for a short time and then off... Residual heat transfers and they come on again... and so on.... Till it actually IS cool... For my track car I don,t care but I can see were this would be kinda annoying on the street..
Old 07-14-2019, 01:17 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

It’s a bit of a process but I had replaced all four wires from the resistor block to the power distribution block on my 89 NA. Ok it was a **** show, but it works great now.

Old 07-14-2019, 01:33 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Yes that is exactly what is going on...
What GPA951s says makes sense, however before you get any deeper into fixing stuff first check that your fans are actually only operating on high speed. You can do this quite easily by disconnecting one terminal from each of the low speed resistors and seeing if your fans are still coming on as before. If they are then yes it’s your resistors (or more likely the wiring to them) that’s the problem.
Old 07-14-2019, 03:20 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Forget all this. Short fan on-time is due to a bad radiator fan resistor.

Check and replace one or both fan resistors located under the rain cover next to the battery.
They should be about 7.5 ohms if they are good, they will have open resistance if they are bad.

Quick Reply: Radiator fan keeps switching on and off