Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 07:02 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default MAF conversion

It just dawned on me that the 968 has a maf. Has anyone tried retrofitting one to a 951? I suppose it could work if the wiring allows.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:43 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmm I think has been discussed in the past?? But I did a search and found nothing?? But I don't think it would be a straight R&R swap??? Most likely at the very least a "Piggy Back" would be required???
Old 09-17-2019, 07:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Not a good candidate as they're all ancient by now and new ones are prohibitively expensive as if they were unavailable.

The LR MTUNE or vitesse MAF kits are proven and reasonably priced for a lot of performance bang for buck.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:57 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Not a good candidate as they're all ancient by now and new ones are prohibitively expensive as if they were unavailable.

The LR MTUNE or vitesse MAF kits are proven and reasonably priced for a lot of performance bang for buck.
I can't disagree with that! In about 15 years out here in NV at our local Pick an Pul,l I have only seen a single 944 N/A and that was about ten years ago??
Old 09-17-2019, 08:46 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

I see new ones on ebay for around $100. I know about VR and LR. Not looking to infringe on there products, but I think its a good option for those looking to stay as stock as possible while using Porsche products. Im sure the output will probably max out around 300 to 310 whp. So it would be like a stage 1 maf. Using stock injectors. Probably will need a chip that is dyno tuned as well. A little freeing up of the restrictive afm.
Old 09-18-2019, 02:06 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The AFM already maxes out at around 300-310hp. Plus you'd have to reprogram the DME so it can understand the MAF or use some kind of hacky converter.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:37 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

The beauty of the maf is it makes the car so much more responsive and torquey in the low/mid range rpms, by removing the huge restriction the AFM door presents.

LR and vitesse have worked out the bugs and offer an improved tune over stock, along with future tuning and troubleshooting support-- definitely worth it.

People seem ok to blow $2-4k on suspension and brakes that'll never be used to their potential on a street car, when they Could have meaningful life changing car improving performance for much less by deleting the afm.
The following 3 users liked this post by V2Rocket:
Dwizle (09-27-2019), MAGK944 (09-18-2019), schip43 (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 08:18 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

The enhanced fuel/timing maps that reference boost instead of the stock style maps that come with the two MAF setups for our cars have quite a bit to do with that enhanced low end/part throttle, probably more so than any restriction posed by the AFM, unless again, you're trying to break 300whp. If not, save some money and just buy the A-Tune.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:27 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I find the A-tune's effect little to nothing unless boost is turned up to at least 15psi with mbc or similar
Old 09-18-2019, 08:55 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

At 4500+rpm and full throttle the AFM door is wide open and presents little restriction.

Anything else (part throttle, or full throttle at lower rpm) the barn door is choking airflow.

The MAF removes that choke and the result is the engine can finally breathe and torque output jumps hugely... and the engine is more responsive.

My NA got over 10% more rwtq below 4000rpm just by plugging in the NAtune MAF kit, and the fuel spark maps were essentially the same as stock with some more timing at higher rpm.

This should only be amplified on a turbo car.
The following 2 users liked this post by V2Rocket:
Dwizle (09-27-2019), schip43 (09-18-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 09:23 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

At 4500+rpm and full throttle the AFM door is wide open and presents little restriction.

Anything else (part throttle, or full throttle at lower rpm) the barn door is choking airflow.

The MAF removes that choke and the result is the engine can finally breathe and torque output jumps hugely... and the engine is more responsive.

My NA got over 10% more rwtq below 4000rpm just by plugging in the NAtune MAF kit, and the fuel spark maps were essentially the same as stock with some more timing at higher rpm.

I believe the drivability would improve greatly with a properly sized maf. I see no benefit from tuner maf systems that have huge gains but give up essential characteristics for street drivability. The hatachi and ford maf meters are capable of large numbers but sacrifice something for it.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

What MAF would fall into "tuner maf systems that have huge gains but give up essential characteristics for street drivability" category?

A MAF has one job, to measure the amount of air entering the engine so the the ECU can know how much fuel to squirt in, the rest is in the tuning, which is what you're really paying for.
The following users liked this post:
iborroel (09-22-2019)
Old 09-18-2019, 09:56 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

And the Lindssy MAF or Vitesse kits are properly sized and tuned already.

Originally Posted by jimbo1111
I believe the drivability would improve greatly with a properly sized maf. I see no benefit from tuner maf systems that have huge gains but give up essential characteristics for street drivability. The hatachi and ford maf meters are capable of large numbers but sacrifice something for it.
Old 09-18-2019, 09:59 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Thank You! Civility and Drive-ability, is what the AFM lacks! Making stupid power with "modest mods" and a proper chip is easy with a 951! My 951 when it was running (another story non mod related) excelled at doing "Stupid" fast stuff.

But if all you wanted to do was just drive in stop and go traffic and make a left turn at reasonable rate ... it was not to interested?? With the AFM,
I would describe off Boost performance as "slow and lazy" at best. TYhe on and off "Boost" Jeckle and Hyde crap ... I'm used to. I had a Merkur 4tix back in the day and it was also a 1 2 3 oh crap kinda car.

But it had a map and off boost performance while not exciting ... did not suck! It could make left turns from a dead stop at a traffic, with out acting like a slug?? One memorable 951 instance I was making said left turn with my modded AFM equipped 951 and it was lazily taking it's time?? So you know ... Jezz , I want to get thru this intersection "Today!!!" So I pressed the throttle down a fraction! And LOL .. all hell broke lose??

And it goes from "no power" to all "power in a fraction of a second!!" Full on power slide, rear tires up in smoke!! But thanks to the uh thousands of dollars that was spent in camber plates, double adjustable shocks poly bushings, etc, etc I was able to rein it back in with a quick flick of the wheel.

But yeah the AFM day in day out ... if you don't want to spend time in traffic court ... gets old. But in the 300 to 400 hp, if all one cares about is power ... most likely the AFM is not that big deal?? Just my two cents.
Old 09-18-2019, 10:10 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Originally Posted by Scott H
What MAF would fall into "tuner maf systems that have huge gains but give up essential characteristics for street drivability" category?

A MAF has one job, to measure the amount of air entering the engine so the the ECU can know how much fuel to squirt in, the rest is in the tuning, which is what you're really paying for.
When using a large maf meter capable of metering up to 600hp. Resolution at the lower scale suffers and creates some low rpm drivability issues.

Quick Reply: MAF conversion