Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Should I replace this old DME chip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2019, 07:21 PM
944armadillo
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Should I replace this old DME chip?

Just put a stock DME chip in to help pass smog and finally got a look at what’s inside - a Weltmeister TC-6250 copyright 1995.

Ive done some research and have not found much about this chip. I was going to reinstall this after smog, but I’m wondering if there’s a better solution all these years later as this chip was installed around 2002-2004

Im leaving this car as is with only the following existing modifications:

- Lindsey boost enhancer
- Aftermarket racing headers - that’s all that’s in the invoice but I think it’s still 2.5” as it’s connected to stock exhaust and cat
- Evo wastegate

This is merely a weekend driver for me and I don’t plan on doing anything significantly different than this. Based on these modest upgrades, is there a newer chip that would provide better, smoother performance?

Thanks! 944Armadillo

Last edited by 944armadillo; 09-14-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 07:44 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Seeing how you were able drive the car across the entire country without any hiccups, I would reinstall it after passing smog.

Did you check to see if the KLR has a chip installed?
Old 09-14-2019, 08:26 PM
944armadillo
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Did not see one but I understand it was common to only replace the DME chip. Just got the O2 sensor in the mail today, so that’s an install this week and hopefully pass smog next Saturday.

i will put this chip back in after smog, but I’m not against a better more modern upgrade if one exists for my modest application

Thanks again for the OEM chip!

Originally Posted by Chapman951
Seeing how you were able drive the car across the entire country without any hiccups, I would reinstall it after passing smog.

Did you check to see if the KLR has a chip installed?
Old 09-14-2019, 10:21 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The only chip that retains the AFM and would be an improvement would be the A-Tune from Rogue/Lindsey Racing but you'd need to upgrade your DME to be 28-pin from its current 24-pin.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:16 AM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

The Weltmeister chip is definitely a seat of the pants on/off boost switch but at WOT in third, fourth and fifth gears...it's glorious!
Get out on the open road and enjoy it.

Stay out of boost in first and careful with the balance of the car if you boost in second gear. Easy to break the tires free and quite possible to do a tank slapper.
Once you drive it more and learn the boost curve you'll love it.
I've been enjoying one on my '89 for the past 15 years. Never gets old.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:50 AM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

I have a Rogue A-tune which is miles better than my stock chip. I have a 88 turbo S with the 28 pin DME though. It’s far more modern and runs a smoother and I’m told the Air fuel ratios are spot on. That chip will also adjust to upgrades in the future. You must also run a 3bar FPR. It’s the only item which is not stock on my car. I also still run the CV. To add more boost, you can run a manual or electronic boost controller but I’ve chosen to stay stock for longevity reasons.
Old 09-16-2019, 09:50 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I had a Weltmeister chip in my car when I bought it. Had to remove it for club racing. For your needs as a weekend fun car I'd suggest just leaving the Welt chip in there as long as you're running reasonable boost levels. The Welt's extra power came from shimming the wastegate spring to increase boost a bit. Your Evo wastegate may serve the same function.
Old 09-16-2019, 12:53 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
... For your needs as a weekend fun car I'd suggest just leaving the Welt chip in there as long as you're running reasonable boost levels. The Welt's extra power came from shimming the wastegate spring to increase boost a bit. Your Evo wastegate may serve the same function.

Was going to type the exact same thing. The original Weltmeister and Autothority chips no longer have the sales-sizzle of the chips made by more recent enthusiasts, but they do just fine for a weekend car like the one described and have withstood the test of time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 09-17-2019, 07:53 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, there is certainly nothing wrong with the old .. if it ain't broke don't fix it motto!
If your content to keep the AFM, in replace you can do better. My car is running an original (I suppose) MAX 951 chip with supporting mods. If you "want" the crazy *** nothing, nothing, nothing and the OMG!!! Performance kinda thing ... there you go.

And I think even with the 55 lb injectors and the Max chip in it, it still passed smog although the cat had to be back put on it .. it was a Ca 951. I will see him shortly and I can ask for details on the smog stuff. The car is now in the suburbs of NV ... so I don't care! But hey our DD Prius makes up for ozone damage then all my other cars. Motor off and then motor on at stop signs and in traffic ... kinda weird but pretty cool.

But back on point if you don't care about all around drive-ability (off boost, mine kinda sucks??) And don't mine spending lot's of time in traffic court?? Then a MAX 951 chip can work. And with supporting mods, it can do 18 psi on pump gas! Dual waste gate and manual Boost Controller required.

I liked the car when I was driving it (other issues) non chip/mod related has it down at the moment. But I did find it's off Boost civility with this chip ... kinda sucks?? I blame the AFM ... I think it it's just kinda slow and lazy ... but I don't know???

In any case the MAX Chips seem to work. And although Lindsey Racing is in control of them now ... I think?? The chip does work, I hate the AFM. But hey that's me. Lindsey now has control of Rouge's AFM setup. And from recent reports it seems to work quite well?? It keeps the AFM if you want to keep it, but adds (also) a map sensor so the DME can read boost! And that setup is the same price as a chip alone.

Day in and day out civility ... should be improved, judging by reports. And of course http://www.vitesseracing.com/ also does chips! I have no first hand experience with his gear but he seems to have no shortage of happy customers ... on here!

Heck if I did not so much hate those speed and reference sensors and that (AFM) with which I have not had an issue to be honest, ... I'd go Vitessse! In any case there are better chip options out there over what you are using now. It could not hurt to give either of them a call and tell them what you will or will not change and see what they say.
Old 09-24-2019, 08:06 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I have the Mtune and my car is a beast. I got one of the original setups from Josh. We had a great time dialing the car in and for many years now it is an awesome car to drive.
The following users liked this post:
schip43 (09-24-2019)
Old 09-24-2019, 05:22 PM
schip43
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stephencs601
I have the M Tune and my car is a beast. I got one of the original setups from Josh. We had a great time dialing the car in and for many years now it is an awesome car to drive.
Oh I'm not dissing the "M Tune" ??" It certainly "still" is a great performance to dollar value.

But ... these cars "are" 25 years old and as such "Crap Happens!" Currently I am right in the midst of such an event. IT was running fine but now it is not?? It's a MAX Chipped car (with supporting mods) but I'm pretty sure it's current issues are all pretty much sigh ...ical 944 "stuff" ...

But back on point on why I "happened" to name Johns product's as opposed to Josh's?? Well that's simple and has nothing to do with how well either system works! It's because I have been here long enough to know who those guys' are! And using/choosing a product that is developed and supported by a "Current Member" is important to me. A "detail" that you just mentioned. And that said ... John is still here and Josh ... is not! Now that does not mean LIndsey Racing can't help new owners with Josh's gear. but it's not the same???

And the VR, gear is kinda "pricey, for that kinda cash , you can go standalone! But if you do ...your on your on! You would have a new ECU and Engine Harness and that is about it?? Getting it up and running and properly tune would be on you! I'm not sure I'm up for that?? So part of the price for John's gear is the R&D already done! That and the hand holding if required?? Is part of the cost. And if one want's to dump that cash into a 25 year old DME/KLR and engine harness ... well that is up to them?? And that last point is applicable to either system.

But back on point .. if the OP's particular 951 has no none issues, ie no weird, "Hot Restart/Non Start" etc. Then "yes" either system would be a huge, improvement over where he is! That might be difficult to believe but it's true. For most of us, the AFM does not really HP but day in day out in in "Real World" driving it is a slow lazy PIA, ... believe that.

Old 09-26-2019, 08:52 PM
sam08861
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Weltmeister chips were made by Dinan, I believe. There used to be an 'Automotion' Porsche parts catalog, where they had a number of parts with the Weltmeister brand. (sway bar drop links, strut brace, brakes pads, etc)

I might still have one of these catalogs with the description and HP/TQ charts and will post a photo, if I find one.
Old 09-26-2019, 11:00 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by sam08861
The Weltmeister chips were made by Dinan, I believe. There used to be an 'Automotion' Porsche parts catalog, where they had a number of parts with the Weltmeister brand. (sway bar drop links, strut brace, brakes pads, etc)

I might still have one of these catalogs with the description and HP/TQ charts and will post a photo, if I find one.

They had a great catalog and their retail store just a few minutes from me in Sunnyvale, CA. I spend plenty of time eye-balling all the fancy parts they had. It was a great store and they had a well-attended summer show too. Dinan was in close-by Mt. View and were pioneers with the BMW chips, so it makes sense they might have linked up. I bought those Weltmeister chips from them very shortly after getting my car in the 90's, but ended up returning them in favor of the APE because their jetted banjo bolt was so much easier than shimming the wastegate.

The following users liked this post:
sam08861 (10-01-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 11:25 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 98 Posts

Cool, thanks for posting the Weltmeister specs, had not seen those before.
Old 09-27-2019, 05:38 AM
Dwizle
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

944armadillo if you live in San Diego county forget the M-tune unless you plan on disassembling the car every 2 yrs and putting it back to stock for the smog test along with the rolling dyno the car has to pass a visual test San Diego is an enhanced smog district any visible change fwd of the Cat has to have CA EO# sticker or plate attached to it. So if your headers don't have an EO# it's an illegal mod so is the M-tune the good thing most of the average smog shops don't have much experience with older cars but if you do run into one of those shops they could turn you in the state pays a bounty. You didn't say what it failed for or what your readings were they should have given a print out of your numbers. Did you check the Cat is it working/still there not hollowed out? I suggest a wideband O2 sensor with a gage but still has a narrow band output to send to the DME check out https://www.14point7.com/products/sp...a-controller-2 also look into http://www.ftech9.com/new-products for a new DME while I don't knock any of the other posters point they don't have to deal with the realities of living in CA/San Diego...

Quick Reply: Should I replace this old DME chip?