Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No crank No start

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 03:15 AM
Brad Peterson
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No crank No start

So I've run into this intermittent issue a couple times, it appeared to be fixed with a new starter but alas, no dice, as the issue decided to show back up, basically sometimes whenever I turn the key to start the engine, I lose all power, and when I let go of the key, power returns. Battery is good, and car can be jump started, I performed the test listed here https://forums.pelicanparts.com/pors...-easy-way.html and simply got a loud click once.Starter is new (Obviously and just worked with a jump so its unlikely to be a problem) what else could it be?
(video)
Attached Files
Old 12-28-2019, 04:01 AM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

That happens with a loose connection to the battery. If it starts with jumping ( how many times did you try jumping it? Just once? Intermittent problems do not happen all the time) it probably means you are putting enough juice into the system to overcome the loose connection. Check the main battery connections along with the main ground wires, for both tightness and wire condition. Also connections at starter. A major short might cause this, starter could be shorting out. Since you applied juice directly to the starter and it did not work look for pos connection to starter and grounds.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:26 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

This is a bad connection in the main power, Think of it as a resetting fuse... There is only enough connection to power a small current draw.. When you turn the key and ask for big power there is resistance and it drops the voltage enough that all other electrical consumers drops out. check the connection at the alternator as well...
Old 12-28-2019, 01:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

If all the power connections are good, I'd also be suspicious of the ignition switch itself.
Old 12-28-2019, 05:40 PM
Brad Peterson
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the advice everybody it was the battery terminals not being cranked down hard enough but anybody reading this in the future with the same problem make sure your battery terminals are cranked down very hard. while looking at the wiring though I had a chance to see some of the suspicious wiring the previous owner had done and I will get to replacing that soon. Thanks all, she starts and runs again!
Old 12-29-2019, 09:48 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
If all the power connections are good, I'd also be suspicious of the ignition switch itself.
+1
Old 12-29-2019, 11:23 AM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 92 Posts

The suggestion to check the main battery cables to the starter is a very good one. It only takes a slight drop in voltage to not turn the starter, and the rest of the car gets electricity. It may be as simple as a loose battery connection, but double check the entire line to the starter.

Quick Reply: No crank No start