Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Shelter-in-place 951 projects

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 02:12 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Shelter-in-place 951 projects

Not sure I've ever spend so much time on the 951 as the last few weeks. I figured if I don't do that back-burner projects now, I probably never will. Anyone else focusing their down time on the car?

So far, I have:

Finished installing the KW coilovers (love it, should get it aligned, but that'll have to wait)
Installed Perry's LED dash lights (love it, might design a little dimmer circuit)
Fixed an age-old rattle in dash (put felt where center console and dash meet)
Wired a center console switch to my garage door opener (soldered wires to the switch contacts, running off it's original lithium battery)

Next up:
Adjusting the driver window so it doesn't go below the track and rattle when open
Install Griffith's AC and convert to 134A
Replace an oil cooler line that is seeping, and oil/filter while I'm at it.
Do belts and rollers and possibly lower front b/s seal
install custom leather interior parts that have been waiting to go in forever

And if I get all that done before the shelter-in-place is lifted, I may have to start in on the ultimate back-burner project and see if I can disassemble and reseal my rear hatch...
The following 5 users liked this post by Tom M'Guinn:
BarryP (03-23-2020), Crazy Eddie (03-27-2020), David Floyd (03-22-2020), J1NX3D (03-26-2020), Jay Wellwood (03-23-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 02:25 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 92 Posts

lots of time here as well- has to pull out of a business trip to Vilnius and staying at home for two weeks. On my list are new brake pads and turn rotors on the 951, track down a very slow coolant leak on the 951 (dollar bill size leak per week), install new temp sensor on 951, and
find out why the blaupunkt makes a very loud “pop” in speakers when turned on!

For the Cabrio I need to get ready for the back half of the clutch change- get flywheel resurfaced and assembly balanced (it had 160k on the original clutch!), install new axle seals, rebuilt and lubricate CV with new boots, adjust e-brake, and change timing belt (only did it two years ago, but want to check rollers anyway).

whew!!!

Old 03-22-2020, 06:40 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

Married with kids... ...'shelter in place' is the default around here lol

You guys are lucky with the weather; it's still cold here at zero C. Essential services only; fixing the power locks will have to wait. The irony is now that I'm back on the road and running quite well, I've got lots of time to drive but nowhere to go
Old 03-22-2020, 09:08 PM
zmf
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Martinic
I've got lots of time to drive but nowhere to go
Know the feeling.
Replaced brake rotors, cleaned up calipers, bought more aggressive brake pads, and a set of Nitto NT-01's. Head and block machined, new head studs, dual port wastegate and MBC. Larger radiator, intercooler and oil cooler.
All PCA track events in the area cancelled into the foreseeable future. All dressed up and no place to go.
The following users liked this post:
steve g (03-29-2020)
Old 03-22-2020, 09:12 PM
Radmd74
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Married with kids... ...'shelter in place' is the default around here lol

You guys are lucky with the weather; it's still cold here at zero C. Essential services only; fixing the power locks will have to wait. The irony is now that I'm back on the road and running quite well, I've got lots of time to drive but nowhere to go
not sure where you live. Twisty canyon roads might miss the rubber tires. Go get it!!!!
Old 03-22-2020, 09:18 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Fellow Rennlister makes a nice PWM dimmer. Website says sold-out, but worth sending them a message: https://www.protizmo.com/Store/AILD-1/
Old 03-22-2020, 09:37 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Radmd74
not sure where you live. Twisty canyon roads might miss the rubber tires. Go get it!!!!
Even more irony: I drive a car built for roads that don't exist here. Maybe that's why my original Diverter valve is still in good condition

The LEDs used in the dash kits are dimmable?
Old 03-22-2020, 09:44 PM
Radmd74
Racer

Even more irony: I drive a car built for roads that don't exist here. Maybe that's why my original Diverter valve is still in good condition

The LEDs used in the dash kits are dimmable?
Toronto has no streets? come on now.....

I am sure there is access to some nice windy twisty curves.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:50 PM
Radmd74
Racer

Originally Posted by alxdgr8
Fellow Rennlister makes a nice PWM dimmer. Website says sold-out, but worth sending them a message: https://www.protizmo.com/Store/AILD-1/
That is a sweet dimmner. Where does that little box go without being an eyesore in the dash or console area?
Old 03-22-2020, 09:58 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Originally Posted by Radmd74
Toronto has no streets? come on now.....

I am sure there is access to some nice windy twisty curves.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:17 PM
Radmd74
Racer

*** I see it on the far left in the pic*** You may need to drive an hour to get there!!!! you got the time now!!!!
Old 03-22-2020, 10:57 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've started tearing down a replacement engine I bought about a year and a half ago. I also started going through all my partially used gasket sets to see what I need buy for doing a full reseal or rebuild. Hopefully this will pass before I have time to pull the 3.0 16V and put in the soon to be rebuilt stock 2.5 .
If I still end up with time, I was thinking of taking the doors apart and cleaning/lubricating the window track and regulator to get them to operate quicker.
The roof lifting system needs a go through too.

This is all competing with home renovation projects too...
Old 03-22-2020, 11:38 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

My girlfriend and I drove through much of Ontario last summer as part of a crazy cross-country Lemons Rally adventure in our Jensen-Healey roadster. There were numerous rally checkpoints in downtown Toronto---really cool city, but there are some serious potholes! And lots of road construction---between there and New England we completely destroyed the exhaust system. It is a great place if you are not driving . I just looked at a map and see what you mean about the surrounding roads, there aren't many rivers or mountains very close by to equate to the need for twisty roads. But once the weather gets better some road trips will be in order!

As for 951 projects, my shop is still open at the moment (auto repair is deemed "essential" in CA), so there are still customer cars to get through before I can pivot to any of mine . . . . though finally getting the sensors for intake temp/pressure and exhaust backpressure for datalogging by VEMS is next on the list. Will share the results here when that eventually happens!
Old 03-22-2020, 11:45 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by fortysixandtwo
I've started tearing down a replacement engine I bought about a year and a half ago. I also started going through all my partially used gasket sets to see what I need buy for doing a full reseal or rebuild. Hopefully this will pass before I have time to pull the 3.0 16V and put in the soon to be rebuilt stock 2.5 .
If I still end up with time, I was thinking of taking the doors apart and cleaning/lubricating the window track and regulator to get them to operate quicker.
The roof lifting system needs a go through too.

This is all competing with home renovation projects too...
I opened up my door today too, to figure out why the glass was rattling around in there...

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-fell-out.html

Old 03-23-2020, 04:13 AM
Radmd74
Racer

Originally Posted by Droops83
My girlfriend and I drove through much of Ontario last summer as part of a crazy cross-country Lemons Rally adventure in our Jensen-Healey roadster. There were numerous rally checkpoints in downtown Toronto---really cool city, but there are some serious potholes! And lots of road construction---between there and New England we completely destroyed the exhaust system. It is a great place if you are not driving . I just looked at a map and see what you mean about the surrounding roads, there aren't many rivers or mountains very close by to equate to the need for twisty roads. But once the weather gets better some road trips will be in order!

As for 951 projects, my shop is still open at the moment (auto repair is deemed "essential" in CA), so there are still customer cars to get through before I can pivot to any of mine . . . . though finally getting the sensors for intake temp/pressure and exhaust backpressure for datalogging by VEMS is next on the list. Will share the results here when that eventually happens!
Cool drive thru Toronto? Err pothole driving? Btw, what type of cars do you service in your shop? Los 👼 here too.

Quick Reply: Shelter-in-place 951 projects