Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Looking for a Racing Seat

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 06:44 PM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Racing Seat

Is there a decent aftermarket race seat that anyone recommends for my 951? Maybe something that can just be installed on race day or not.
Really don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2020, 06:55 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Sparco EVO 2 seats bolted directly to the floor in my race car. I have one for sale as the rules changed and I no longer need a passenger seat.Co0_zu[?
Old 03-23-2020, 07:30 PM
Jllewan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picture and cost?
thx
Old 03-23-2020, 07:44 PM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

You really should find a local store that stocks a lot of seats and go sit in them. Seats are something you don't really want to just buy on the internet. Since it's a pretty important part of safety, it's good to check fitment in person first.
The following 2 users liked this post by alxdgr8:
Jllewan (04-01-2020), Noahs944 (03-23-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 08:40 PM
samluke
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it’s an older seat, that should be used with a back brace, and 5 or 6point belts. The covering is showing its age $250
The following users liked this post:
Jllewan (04-01-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 09:26 PM
87944turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

You really should find a local store that stocks a lot of seats and go sit in them. Seats are something you don't really want to just buy on the internet. Since it's a pretty important part of safety, it's good to check fitment in person first.
This, just like a helmet, if it doesn't fit you correctly it can do more harm than good.
Jllewan (04-01-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 09:18 AM
Carrera51
Race Car

Received 165 Likes on 102 Posts

Seats come in many shapes and sizes. A Sparco Evo 2 (now called the Evo L) has always been a good "Average Joe" seat. Meaning it fits a pretty good range of body types. If you are a 5'9"-6'1", 34-36 inch waist, average build, it will probably fit. And they will fit in a 951. As others have said, if you have the opportunity to do so, try sitting in some different seats from different manufacturers to see which ones fit you the best. I would say sit in a couple at your next track event but who knows when we will all be back at the track.

If you have any questions, l'll be happy to answer any you may have. You can PM me if you'd like or give me a call at 800-934-9112.

Kind regards,
Jllewan (04-01-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 02:02 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are near KC, I have some used stuff in storage-
Jllewan (04-01-2020)
Old 03-24-2020, 02:31 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

I have an OMP Pista, never been mounted in a car since new.
Time stamp would require a set back brace (clamps to roll bar/cage) for legality, but I have that too.

PM for pics if interested.

T
Jllewan (04-01-2020)
Old 03-25-2020, 06:22 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm a fan of the Recaro SPG. I believe it is their top. selling seat and. I've always thought they look good in a 944. Very similar in design to the seats supplied in the Turbo Cup Cars and the 968 ClubSport. There are undoubtedly seats out there offering more modern features but these stiull work well with HANS devices etc and in my opinion are good for track days and club racing. Pics below are of current SPG, the original Porsche factory cup car seats and some colour coded ClubSport seats.

As others have advised, it is best to try a seat before buying but I've found drives 70kg to 90kg, 5'10" - 6'1" have found these seats to be a good fit.

Jllewan (04-01-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 01:25 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Seeing the picture above the car with the yellow seatbelts, made me think of something you need to consider when getting Just a Trackday seat... Some clubs do not allow harness bars anymore, and you wont be allowed on track with belts that are anchored like the pic above.. the belts should be (within reason) 10 degrees up to 30 degrees down. Mounting directly down to the floor will be a back-breaker if you ever crash at any considerable speed... Anyhow, That pretty much just leaves a bolt-in roll bar, or a seat that allows you the use of the factory belts.
Jllewan (04-01-2020)
Old 03-26-2020, 04:32 PM
beamishnz
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by GPA951s
Seeing the picture above the car with the yellow seatbelts, made me think of something you need to consider when getting Just a Trackday seat... Some clubs do not allow harness bars anymore, and you wont be allowed on track with belts that are anchored like the pic above.. the belts should be (within reason) 10 degrees up to 30 degrees down. Mounting directly down to the floor will be a back-breaker if you ever crash at any considerable speed... Anyhow, That pretty much just leaves a bolt-in roll bar, or a seat that allows you the use of the factory belts.
The SPG also work well with the 3 point factory mounts. That is how they were set up with the 968 ClubSport. I have mine set up for factory 3 point belts in my 944 and works fine and has passed MSNZ scrutineering where they check that the belt is in contact with the body etc. I use side mounts bolted to the factory manual sliders and the factory belt mount points.

I am working on a replica of the Matter half cage and will then have the option of either harness or original 3 point belts.

Jllewan (04-01-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 01:49 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Jllewan
Maybe something that can just be installed on race day or not.
Your tune will change once you've installed a seat once. I hate wrestling race seats in and out and the stock seats are worse.
Step one for choosing a seat is deciding what you want to use it for. Halo seats are the only thing I'd buy for a race car, but shoulder checking is compromised on the street. For an occasional track day car there's a cobra seat with a halo with a big window and the Sparco Ergo with removable halo. I use the Ergo in my dual purpose car and the race cars have full integrated halo seats. You also need a harness bar or half cage for the harnesses if you go that route on a dual purpose car. If you're going for street only with stock belts, that opens up more options, but is certainly less safe on track.
Jllewan (04-01-2020)
Old 03-31-2020, 01:44 PM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinL
Your tune will change once you've installed a seat once. I hate wrestling race seats in and out and the stock seats are worse.
Step one for choosing a seat is deciding what you want to use it for. Halo seats are the only thing I'd buy for a race car, but shoulder checking is compromised on the street. For an occasional track day car there's a cobra seat with a halo with a big window and the Sparco Ergo with removable halo. I use the Ergo in my dual purpose car and the race cars have full integrated halo seats. You also need a harness bar or half cage for the harnesses if you go that route on a dual purpose car. If you're going for street only with stock belts, that opens up more options, but is certainly less safe on track.
+1
Another thing a good seat will do for you on track is make you a better driver, You are one with the car as opposed to feeling like your sitting "On" the car. I used to have Recaro SRD seats in my track car, then I purchased a full containment Halo seat. I was a full two seconds a lap faster, Felt like I was a kid again driving a go-cart... I did extensive FAB work to lower the seat all the way to the floor, I do have the sliders though because the rake on the A pillar makes it difficult to get in and out when the seat is in the driving position. I also modified the track/slider release bar so I can pull it when fully belted in. Not sure how much the Recaros are pictured above, but Sabelt makes a similar seat. and their prices seem to be.. "within reason".
Jllewan (04-01-2020)
Old 04-01-2020, 04:50 PM
chrenan
Three Wheelin'

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I’ve got to agree, installing and uninstalling a seat for track days would be my personal version of hell, it’s a terrible job. Here’s mine:

Quick Reply: Looking for a Racing Seat