Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

VEMS PnP Kit Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 12:39 PM
Brad951
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been awhile since I posted about the TPS voltage concern, and running issues. Turns out the VEMS ECU was faulty after replacing with a new unit found issues with TPS are fixed and vehicle is running. I am able to drive and use auto tune and have no issues with driving down the road. I do however have some cold start issues , after starting the throttle needs to be feathered for a few seconds to keep the vehicle running, after a few seconds it will idle on its own. Second is sometimes the vehicle idles perfect when hot and sometimes runs very rough, cycling the ignition will fix this issue most of the time. I,ve mess with the after start enrichment and cant seem to get the cold start issue taken care of. Wanted to see if anyone could take a log at my config file and see if anything stands out. 72lb low z injectors, 3bar fuel pressure regulator, did set of the req fuel. Thanks
Attached Files
Old 06-15-2023, 02:32 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

you run some weird settings. 1st press the validate config button and check for invalid values.

Some of your idle settings are weird IMHO.

at 70°C there is normally no enrichment needed.

Do you run an IAC? In your Config there is no frequency set.

Try this attached Config File. It's set as if you had a working IAC with some more changes just to the idle settings.

Attached Files
Old 06-15-2023, 08:19 PM
Brad951
Intermediate

I am running the factory idle control valve. Not sure about the boost input invalid config, I’m running the MAC boost solenoid and I am able to control boost without issues. I have loaded your config and the car started and died right away but on second try it started and idled (did not feather throttle at all) however it was idling low 625 rpm and idle was rough. After it warmed up a little the idle did come up higher 850rpm but still rough. Cycled the ignition and it idled smooth without issues. Other than cold start and intermittent rough idle the car runs great driving down the road. Thanks
Old 06-16-2023, 05:03 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

ok, so you have now a nice basic setting. I suggest you raise the Idle air valve reference position (Idle reference curve) like this. And you could try to disable the Ign. Based Idle Control Setting. In my case this is not needed and causes a bit rough idle.

Old 06-18-2023, 12:24 PM
Brad951
Intermediate

I have disabled the ignition based idle control and have started adjusting the idle reference position and the idle speed and running have improved. Will keep adjusting and checking the cold start, only really get one shot a day at it. Thank you for the help
Old 06-18-2023, 10:41 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

You should focus on getting your basic fuel and ignition timing tables dialed in with the engine warmed up---any other settings or modifiers are based on these initial maps.

Cold start settings and the like can be re-visited once your basic tune is dialed in.
Old 06-19-2023, 06:54 PM
Brad951
Intermediate

I have a few hours of driving around using the autotune feature. With H.F.B’s suggestions I got the cold idle working well now it’s just the initial cold start. Car fires right up when cranking just dies 2 seconds after that unless I open the throttle slightly for few seconds then it idles fine after that. Starting when warm is fine fires right up and idles.
Old 06-21-2023, 03:23 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Originally Posted by Brad951
I have a few hours of driving around using the autotune feature. With H.F.B’s suggestions I got the cold idle working well now it’s just the initial cold start. Car fires right up when cranking just dies 2 seconds after that unless I open the throttle slightly for few seconds then it idles fine after that. Starting when warm is fine fires right up and idles.
I've just reviewed your Config-File. It appears to me that your "Afterstart Settings" (Menu Afterstart Setup) are a bit low. Try some higher values like this and let me know.

Old 06-25-2023, 02:17 PM
Brad951
Intermediate

After adjusting after start enrichment it’s no longer stalling after starting just need to fine tune it a bit more, thanks

Quick Reply: VEMS PnP Kit Starting Issues