944 turbo wiring connection & timing belt touching rear cover

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 12:41 AM
Dwad
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 944 turbo wiring connection & timing belt touching rear cover

Hi everyone,
my Porsche 944 main timing belt is touching rear cover, looks like everything is installed in correct way, belt is intact...my belt tensioner is mechanical pulley type( not the spring loaded tensioner)

​​​​​i also have an unplugged connector, that I could not figure out, where is it insta

lled... It was inside car near center console under dashboard...
any idea guys...?
Thanks
Old 06-07-2020, 09:16 AM
GPA951s
Three Wheelin'

Received 270 Likes on 209 Posts

As far as the belt..

1) Make sure your tensioner pulley has the "shoulder" on closest to the block.. you can put them on backwards.
2) If that is OK then I would be looking at that WP, Its not a great Pic, but Ive never seen what appears to be rubber on the pulley itself indicating that the belt is slipping across it.
3) Belt tension... it will come into contact witht he cover if it is too loose..Now that seems fairly obvious but I just tiightened a belt "Tight" and heard a noise.. was intermittently hitting the cover... and I tightened it just a bit more.. and no more hitting.. Easiest way to tell... Run the car with the top cover off.. you will see the belt osocillate, If it does it needs to be tighter..

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Dwad (06-08-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 11:04 AM
968to986
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

For sure check the pulley on the tensioner. I just went thought this on an 84 when I managed to put it on backwards. Rubbed a groove right into the cover. Also inspect the belt carefully after you remove it; should probably be replaced now. Sorry can’t help with the harness!
Dwad (06-08-2020)
Old 06-07-2020, 12:14 PM
Breakaway944
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Harness does not look like a porsche harness, it looks like my EBC harness. Did the car have an ebc at one time?
Old 06-07-2020, 01:11 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

+1 on the pully orientation. The one on the crank has the shoulder away from the block and the tensioner one is toward the block -- the combo keeps the belt from walking in or out too far.

That sure looks like an Apexi Boost Controller connector. Even the wire colors match up...

https://conceptzperformance.com/apex...sal_p_8523.php

Dwad (06-08-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 11:45 PM
Dwad
Instructor

Originally Posted by GPA951s
As far as the belt..

1) Make sure your tensioner pulley has the "shoulder" on closest to the block.. you can put them on backwards.
2) If that is OK then I would be looking at that WP, Its not a great Pic, but Ive never seen what appears to be rubber on the pulley itself indicating that the belt is slipping across it.
3) Belt tension... it will come into contact witht he cover if it is too loose..Now that seems fairly obvious but I just tiightened a belt "Tight" and heard a noise.. was intermittently hitting the cover... and I tightened it just a bit more.. and no more hitting.. Easiest way to tell... Run the car with the top cover off.. you will see the belt osocillate, If it does it needs to be tighter..

Good luck!
Thanks to you for your response... Pulley shoulder is to front side, does not looks like it should be to block side as the eccentric nut should be on front side right...?
I am confused now.. please check the pic

Shoulder of the pulley is not switchable right ??
Old 06-08-2020, 11:57 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Hmmm.... what's the part number on that tensioner? Did you put a balance shaft tensioning roller in the wrong place?
Dwad (06-09-2020)
Old 06-09-2020, 12:20 AM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Pretty sure Tom nailed it in the last post, that's a B/S tensioner, the one for the cam would look like that, only with the shoulder on the other side.
Dwad (06-09-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 02:23 AM
Dwad
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Hmmm.... what's the part number on that tensioner? Did you put a balance shaft tensioning roller in the wrong place?
oh no, I didn't think that way, today I will check the part number on that pulley & will update here..
Your answer just made my day, I believe this is what should be wrong ...I have plan to open reseal all cover gasket( balance shaft, oil cooler all pulley seal as well)
​​​, do you know what special tools I should buy to do this job...
Old 06-13-2020, 11:17 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I wouldn't drive it until you get those gears and rollers all set up right.... In addition to common mechanics hand tools, for all that, consider:

Belt tensioner tool, tensioning spanner, pin wrench, flywheel lock, (factory or Arnnworx); an OPRv alignment tool if you meant the oil filter console; long breaker bar/pipe for front crank nut.
Dwad (06-13-2020)
Old 06-13-2020, 02:27 PM
Dwad
Instructor

Okey.... so Mr. Tom won the game here, I checked the part no. on pulley & yes it was balance shaft tensioner pulley installed there....
thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions

Quick Reply: 944 turbo wiring connection & timing belt touching rear cover