Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Front Wiper Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 05:52 PM
BrianRMV
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wiper Malfunction

This is a somewhat redundant post, but with a little more information, so thought I'd start over.

My front wipers occasionally and with increasing frequency do not work. When I try to use the regular or the intermittent setting, they often do not work at all. If I switch to the fast setting it always works, and the regular and intermittent settings will work again after I have used the fast setting, for a while anyway. It also seems to run slowly on the regular setting. Does this sound like a motor or switch issue? The motor is so expensive I really don't want to guess on this one.

Thanks
Old 06-15-2020, 07:39 PM
moalaska
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrianRMV
This is a somewhat redundant post, but with a little more information, so thought I'd start over.

My front wipers occasionally and with increasing frequency do not work. When I try to use the regular or the intermittent setting, they often do not work at all. If I switch to the fast setting it always works, and the regular and intermittent settings will work again after I have used the fast setting, for a while anyway. It also seems to run slowly on the regular setting. Does this sound like a motor or switch issue? The motor is so expensive I really don't want to guess on this one.

Thanks
Wiper relay. Failing solder connections. Open it up and resolder see if it helps. Or find a spare. Could be the wiper stalk but sounds more like relay. Wiper motors are getting old too, but you can check for voltage when you have a failure.
Old 06-25-2020, 02:16 AM
Seattle 993
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

That seems like the wiper motor to me. The wipers work if run hard, but slow in the normal position.

I rebuilt mine several years ago, it wasn’t hard. What happens with these motors is that moisture gets inside, it begins to rust, speed slows then just stops. Once dismounted and opened up, clean the case, magnets, etc. - repaint, lube, assemble and SEAL the motor housing. The worst part for me was the wiper assembly. I believe there is a video on YouTube - I’d check that out.

BTW, my wiper motor has held up after rebuild (5 plus years) and they work great.
Old 11-16-2020, 02:08 PM
BrianRMV
Advanced

It looks like this is probably a motor issue. I've spent a lot of time looking for a reasonable price on-line, and the best I come up with (new, which is my preference) is a little under $500. This morning I found a remanufactured motor at Advance Auto Parts for $209. It looks right and it claims "exact fit" for the car, so it seems like a good deal. The description is "Reman Windshield Wiper Motor; Front; Motor without Washer Pump". Am I correct in assuming that the washer pump is not an option or part of the wiper motor, and that the motor is the same on all 951's?

Thanks
Old 11-16-2020, 09:36 PM
thom4782
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like this is probably a motor issue. I've spent a lot of time looking for a reasonable price on-line, and the best I come up with (new, which is my preference) is a little under $500. This morning I found a remanufactured motor at Advance Auto Parts for $209. It looks right and it claims "exact fit" for the car, so it seems like a good deal. The description is "Reman Windshield Wiper Motor; Front; Motor without Washer Pump". Am I correct in assuming that the washer pump is not an option or part of the wiper motor, and that the motor is the same on all 951's?

Thanks
On my '87 turbo, the washer pump is located near the windshield fluid reservoir up front.
Old 11-17-2020, 03:55 PM
BillboSwaggins
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks
<-- Here is the video of rebuilding the wiper motor.

I would try whacking the motor with a screwdriver on one of the settings that doesn't work. You can apply 12v to the motor plug as in the above video to try to isolate the motor from the relay and stalk switch. TBH I feel like its not the motor since if it was rusty/corroded I'd think it wouldn't run on the highest speed. Spraying some electronics cleaner in the switch and resoldering the joints on the relay can't hurt either. The windshield washer motor is not related to the wiper motor and is mounted on the washer fluid reservoir. I don't know about the early cars, but I am 99% sure all the 1985.5+ cars have the same wiper motor.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:08 PM
BrianRMV
Advanced

Looks like it is the motor. In addition to the wiper motor it looks like my radiator needs to be replaced. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a quality but inexpensive radiator? I realize those two words are most likely mutually exclusive.

Quick Reply: Front Wiper Malfunction