Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Brake upgrade question. thanx

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 11:13 PM
ttAmerica RoadsterAWD
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Brake upgrade question. thanx

Hey guys, the car is running very good after all we've done with it. Time to upgrade brakes to match our mods potential. Does anyone know if the front calipers of a stock 964 America Roadster (which was built with Turbo suspension and brakes) is an upgrade AND direct bolt on to our cars? My car is a 1988 non-S. I ask because my America Roadster was upgraded to big reds, so I have the stock 965 Turbo calipers laying around.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ttAmerica RoadsterAWD; 06-15-2020 at 11:36 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-19-2020, 12:24 PM
ian
Nordschleife Master

Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

So the 964 Roadster came with the same brake calipers as the 928 S4, and the 944 Turbo S. So they can be an upgrade to a non-S, but you would need to use caliper adapters because the S4 / Turbo S calipers use a radial mount. A few vendors sell them, and it would be the same part that can be used to mount big red / 928 GTS calipers.

If memory serves the bleed screws, and bypass lines need to be switched to make them work on the 944 as they are mounted on the front of the rotor vs the rear on the 951.

So move the screws and bypass line, throw in turbo S rotors and you are upgraded to turbo S brake specs.
Old 06-20-2020, 02:15 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by ian
So the 964 Roadster came with the same brake calipers as the 928 S4, and the 944 Turbo S. So they can be an upgrade to a non-S, but you would need to use caliper adapters because the S4 / Turbo S calipers use a radial mount. A few vendors sell them, and it would be the same part that can be used to mount big red / 928 GTS calipers.

If memory serves the bleed screws, and bypass lines need to be switched to make them work on the 944 as they are mounted on the front of the rotor vs the rear on the 951.

So move the screws and bypass line, throw in turbo S rotors and you are upgraded to turbo S brake specs.
Yup, and you also need to consider the orientation of the larger and small caliper pistons as described here:

https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/BIGREDS.html

Quick Reply: Brake upgrade question. thanx