Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Can't determine part/part # (hard brake ine)

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 10:57 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Can't determine part/part # (hard brake ine)

Hi guys - I'm trying to get my old S2 up and running again - and I've got a rusted rear brake line that leaks under pressure. (Made for an exciting drive home from where it's been stored for a couple of years!)

It's been about a decade since I've worked much on this car - it's been shuffled around various storage spots for years and I'm keen to get it back in shape.

I've searched the forums - looks for parts diagrams and consulted PET - but it's not clear to me WHICH of the lines the leaking one actually is. In the pic - it's the one pointing towards the camera - wrapped in rubber. It's leaking right at the fitting to the Tee box. I'm need to determine the part # and replacement strategy. (Do I fab a new one etc)

Thanks in helping me get this great car back on the road!!

RK

This at the rear of the car, passenger side,leaking hard line.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:11 PM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

I don't know the answer to your specific question, but based upon the corrosion on the other lines, I'd suggest considering replacing everything. A competent shop should be able to fabricate new lines.
Old 08-12-2020, 07:42 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
I don't know the answer to your specific question, but based upon the corrosion on the other lines, I'd suggest considering replacing everything. A competent shop should be able to fabricate new lines.
+1000

Or, if you want to do it yourself, buy the flaring tool from Amazon

Amazon Amazon

and fittings

Amazon Amazon

and the tee

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-12-2020, 11:02 PM
Dan Martinic
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 131 Posts

I recommend replacing them yourself using the tools mentioned. I did that once on an old Volvo, and I was surprised how easy it was! Just buy the copper from the local auto parts.. wrap around sockets a bit to make the bends.. & flare with tool. Really, not difficult at all--just takes time gathering tools, fittings, and maybe a bit of practice
Old 08-14-2020, 05:37 PM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

In looking at PET-I would bet it is line #1 in the diagram. The only one that comes out of the bottom of the "T" without a line directly across.

Part Numbers (87-) are:
944 355 079 01
951 355 079 31 (M758)
Also Lists Left and Right
951 355 042 30 for the right side (M758) This part number lists at $50 (ish) bucks from Porsche. That being said - let me jump on and suggest replacing everything in the brake lines. You will likely strip/brake the other lines trying to get this one off. Also a fan of bending your own.

Hope that helps some-

Old 08-14-2020, 11:12 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Subscibed.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:08 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys - super helpful.

Initial attempts at even getting lines apart resulted in many more breaks - sound advice to replace EVERYTHING. I've got the piping and a good flare tool. Gonna likely do it all myself. Need the Tee now - and time to do it all. Thanks for getting me started on this.

For those who have done it themselves, the line running from the master cylinder to the rear of the car is in good shape - has anyone flared that mid-line and retained the forward section?

RK
Old 08-17-2020, 11:02 AM
931guru
Drifting

Received 293 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
Thanks guys - super helpful.

Initial attempts at even getting lines apart resulted in many more breaks - sound advice to replace EVERYTHING. I've got the piping and a good flare tool. Gonna likely do it all myself. Need the Tee now - and time to do it all. Thanks for getting me started on this.

For those who have done it themselves, the line running from the master cylinder to the rear of the car is in good shape - has anyone flared that mid-line and retained the forward section?

RK
Replacing the entire line is the preferred way to solve the problem, and does not require any impossible contortions to make a junction, which is a possible source of a leak. KISS
Old 08-20-2020, 10:29 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Yeah - I fully agree. As always - project just got way bigger!

RK

Quick Reply: Can't determine part/part # (hard brake ine)