Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 Turbocharger Thermostat Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 04:02 PM
David Kang
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 951 Turbocharger Thermostat Delete?

I am in the process of replacing my timing belt, balance shaft belt, water pump and all the front engine seals. Is the mini thermostat for the turbocharger necessary? It's part number 5 in the diagram below. I'm thinking of deleting it which will be safer to have the turbo run a bit cooler while the engine is warming up versus having the thermostat fail and circulating water to the turbo. Has anyone deleted that thermostat? Any concerns? Also, there is a vendor that sells a complete front engine seal kit with all the o rings, races, seals....? Thanks.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:30 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 267 Posts

Go for it. I'm sure your design will be much better than what the engineers at Porsche came up with.
Reseal kits are available from 944online.
Old 04-08-2021, 07:55 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by David Kang
Is the mini thermostat for the turbocharger necessary?
I'm guessing that Porsche put it in there for a reason.

Mike G.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:15 AM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've run with and without. In the winter (even here in north Texas), the car ran too cool without it. With it, in the summer, the car runs with the temp needle at about nine o'clock. Without it, it is at about eight o'clock. I put it back in this winter and will probably leave it there.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:00 AM
four0four
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

If it's any help, I am replacing one that is - at its youngest - from 2003. It failed open.

Now you just need one more data point, and we can start drawing wild conclusions
Old 04-09-2021, 10:13 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

The thermostat is there to protect the turbo bearings.....assume Porsche engineers know what they are doing.
Old 04-09-2021, 11:53 PM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

To piggy back on this, the FSM and PET shows the turbo thermostat oriented with the pull side facing the front of the car, versus I’ve heard multiple sources saying it faces the engine side. Which direction is correct? My pump didn’t have one installed when I removed it to replace.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:29 AM
David Kang
Advanced

Originally Posted by Northern_aqs
To piggy back on this, the FSM and PET shows the turbo thermostat oriented with the pull side facing the front of the car, versus I’ve heard multiple sources saying it faces the engine side. Which direction is correct? My pump didn’t have one installed when I removed it to replace.
The PET is incorrect. The thermostat can't fit as the PET shows, there is not enough clearance.
The following users liked this post:
Northern_aqs (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 09:02 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

The PET is incorrect. The thermostat can't fit as the PET shows, there is not enough clearance.
+1 PET is wrong on this matter and also in number of other places. Best not to rely entirely on PET diagrams as assembly guides.
Northern_aqs (04-10-2021)
Old 04-10-2021, 10:36 AM
GrantM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PET may be wrong, not because the thermostat won't fit though. The thermostat will fit in either direction.

Why do we think the PET is wrong on the thermostat orientation?

What are all the other "known" PET errors? I am interested to learn about them.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:38 PM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

Thanks for the confirmation. I had installed it as I thought it should be (counter to the FSM/PET diagram), but had doubts about trying to out-engineer Porsche.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:56 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantM
...Why do we think the PET is wrong on the thermostat orientation?

What are all the other "known" PET errors? I am interested to learn about them.
The PET is wrong because the authority is the FSM and that shows it fitting the opposite way to PET.

There are too many, a couple off the top of my head are the strut “spacer” washer on early struts is shown in the wrong assembly position and the late strut top mounts are the incorrect type showing the early car ones (as mentioned). Many times they show a picture of an early part but they show several different part numbers covering later models, so they don’t shown the different later part.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:10 AM
GrantM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My PET and FSM (attached) show the same direction, springs forward, big part in the front, small pointy end towards the water pump.

Last edited by GrantM; 04-11-2021 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:36 PM
Northern_aqs
Instructor

I’d love some clarification on the orientation. My original was in pieces when I took apart the old pump.

From the PET and FSM, it would lead me to believe I’ve put mine back together wrong with the pellet towards the rear of the car.

Is the function of the thermostat to limit coolant flow to the turbo until the turbo is warm, then after shut down function as a mechanical timing valve until cool?

I.E. after running to operating temperature:

1. Thermostat is open and allows coolant to flow (via the electric pump) until the turbo cools sufficiently.
2. The thermostat closes and the lack of coolant flow shuts off the electric pump when pressure rises.

It would seem to be a simple way of timing how long the auxiliary pump is required and would address higher than typical operating temps (on track etc).

Based on this and my experience with German engineers, I suspect the PET and FSM is correct and there are a number of cars with the thermostat installed incorrectly.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:09 PM
Oddjob
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I've always installed as shown in the 21-12a figure posted above. Had a Porsche dealer tech point that out to me 25+ years ago, saying it goes in backwards to how most people want to install it.

I did remove one on a street car one time, because I thought it might be failing (turbo water pump was running constantly, turned out to be a bad temp sensor). Car would not get up to temp in moderately cool weather, not warm enough to blow heat when wanted/needed in the cabin. So I'd recommend running the turbo therm on a street car, unless in extreme hot climate conditions.

I have run without one on my track car, because I'm always racing in warm weather and running the car hard, so no worry about the car not warming up.

Northern_aqs (04-12-2021)

Quick Reply: 951 Turbocharger Thermostat Delete?