Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Hi all

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 11:34 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hi all- My car is for sale- what's it worth?

Some of you may remember me- it's been a while. I hate to do it but I just don't drive my car enough and could use the garage space, so it's time for it to go to someone else. I just paid to renew my membership and will be posting it in classifieds, but really not sure what it's worth these days. Is it okay to post details here for some opinions? To refresh memories, it's this one- project "Super Stealth MAF" completed- pictures - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Kevin

Last edited by kevincnc; 11-08-2021 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Title Change
Old 10-29-2021, 09:39 AM
Glue Guy
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

Go for it.
Old 11-04-2021, 12:29 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I remember your user name and car. Gorgeous. GLWS.
Old 11-08-2021, 10:55 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Okay here it is. This is my 1989 944 Turbo. I'm the third owner. As I recall, the original owner ran into something when it was about 18 months old, and his insurance company totaled it. A body shop owner bought it and replaced the front bumper, passenger fender, airbag, and windshild for some reason, and repainted the whole thing with original Glasurit paint. I bought the car from him at about 23k miles in 2005. It has a salvage title from the accident, but I had an old German Porsche mechanic inspect it when I bought it and he told me confidently that it was never wrecked...
Here are some features:

Grey/Linen with re-covered power leather Sport Seats
45,800 miles. It feels like new.
Vitesse Stage II Turbo
"Super Stealth" MAF/Chipboard- The Vitesse MAF is built into a gutted AFM so it looks stock.
Vitesse SMT6 Piggyback for tuning. The serial cable is in the passenger footwell.
Innovate LC-1 Wideband
Profec B Electronic Boost Controller
Resettable knock counter in the glove box
Tial 38mm Wastegate
Speedforce Racing 3" Exhaust and Swaincoated SFR Downpipe
AFR and Boost gauges on A pillar
Nakamichi CD-400 with two vintage Proton amps and preamp EQ, hidden 8" subwoofer and origial 10 speakers. Amazingly clean and accurate sound
Silver hood emblem, clear lenses, polished wheels (One a ding welded and I was told that it would have shown if re-anodized.)

The engine bay doesn't look new like it did when I re-plated everything, but still pretty nice. There are paint chips all around, but no dents or dings. There is a small chip in one of the driving lights. Seats and the rest of the interior are very nice, and I will include linen dye for seat touch up. About 6 years ago it finally needed a head gasked. We were moving so I paid someone to do it and the head was also hot-tanked.
It has always been garaged, but now after being neglected and barely barely driven for 5 years, there are annoying things wrong.

1. A lifter makes noise for a minute or two after being started when it's cold. Maybe a Seafoam fix?
2. The Seat Belt warning light is on. I think this is from the airbag(s,) and they are so old that they should probably be disabled for safety from what I understand anyway.
3. The sunroof gears were stripped somehow when the head gasket was done, so I replaced them recently and adjusted the clutch that's supposed to keep them from stripping. For some reason, I can crank the sunroof up manually and it goes down under power to the first position, but won't go up when the switch is pressed. Maybe it's the micro switch by the rearview mirror, I don't know. This was pretty much what made me decide that I don't want to work on it anymore, so someone else can figure it out.
4. There is finally a tiny dash crack starting to form.
5. The wideband gauge has been dying a slow death. Now sometimes it works for a few seconds and then goes dead.
6. Power Steering hoses are original and seeping, and there is a slow oil leak from the front that gives a few drips when it's driven.

I have a CPR V1 front spoiler and the original batwing that go with it.

Here are threads showing some of what I've done to it over the years-
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-pictures.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...ming-belt.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-pictures.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...placement.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-speakers.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...-pictures.html
I'd welcome opinions on what it's worth, and/or if I'm missing any details that should be there.
Kevin

Old 11-14-2021, 07:31 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 205 Likes on 133 Posts

Beautiful car! Bring a Trailer is where the high dollar cars have been selling lately, Take a peek there for recent sales. If you want top dollar I'd go there. GLWS
Old 11-14-2021, 08:48 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Not sure about Bring a Trailer. They wanted me to list my car at 16K with no reserve. I sold it for 27K and had several offers. Maybe it would have worked out but seemed pretty risky.
Old 11-16-2021, 02:32 PM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

Absolutely _love_ the "Stealth" MAF. For all I've heard... MAF is a fantastic upgrade. But I really love the stock look. I assume you would do this again?

Good luck with the sale.
Old 11-17-2021, 11:34 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll be sorry to see it go.

Originally Posted by Millermatic
Absolutely _love_ the "Stealth" MAF. For all I've heard... MAF is a fantastic upgrade. But I really love the stock look. I assume you would do this again?

Good luck with the sale.
Well it was a lot of work, but I thought that keeping the stock look was worth it, so I'd do it again.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Hi all