Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Stuck shifter component

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 01:54 PM
Nevadarain72
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Stuck shifter component

Hi all. I'm in the (now much delayed) process of installing the three shifter components from Only944. I've successfully installed the cabin shifter and the linkage arm, but the shifter part that is supposed to be replaced with the short shifter just will. not. budge.

I've removed all three bolts involved with holding it in place, but it seems like 34 years of road grime have pseudo-welded the thing onto the transmission rod. In the picture below, what looks like a cast iron cover is in fact just gunk that I have since scraped off. I have used a short prybar to try and get it to pop loose on three different occasions without success. I've sprayed it with rust penetrant the last two times and the thing might as well still have a bolt holding it in place. Any suggestions on how to get it off? I was more worried about getting the linkage arm installed, but while that was tricky it didn't have any unexpected issues.

Old 12-17-2021, 01:31 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Please show a picture of it after you've removed all the gunk.
Old 12-17-2021, 04:14 PM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

The key is to getting your penetrating fluid into the area you mentioned as 'the cast iron cover'. My new best friend is AERO KROIL fluid, which has worked much better for me than other brands. Hard to locate and a bit pricey, but have not broken any studs, bolts, or other since using.

Anyways, you may want to gently tap on the outer edge of the linkage to try to 'wake it up', though careful not to apply to much force as that could damage internal components. Then, keep using a prying measure to work it loose. Could also use heat...

Once these are installed, you will be happy for your efforts - transformed my car.

rick
Old 12-18-2021, 03:51 PM
GarageYears
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmm... So, I'm about to do the exact same procedure on my car. Just so I understand, the part that is stuck is the arm that is darker in color in your picture, which had the 10mm bolt securing it to an indented notch-hole in the shaft that sticks out the side of the transmission?

I screen captured the pictures below from this video by Roaring Tigers Video:

Do you have a blow-torch to apply some heat directly to the arm - obviously be careful not to set anything on fire, but a little heat should be all that's needed. I usually apply the heat and then wait 60-120 seconds to allow whatever expansion to occur and then start applying some prying force.

With 10mm bolt still installed

10mm bolt removed

New short shifter ready to slide onto the shaft
Old 12-21-2021, 02:47 PM
Nevadarain72
Advanced

Took a bit longer to get back to the garage with all the holiday stuff approaching, but here are a couple of pictures post-degunking:

Scratches are from the prybar.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:46 PM
GarageYears
Rennlist Member

Default Well, damn...

As mentioned previously, I was about to do the same update - shifter, shift linkage arm and short shifter from Only944.

Guess which part I'm stuck on?

Yes, the damn shift linkage is stuck to that same bloody shaft, as you found.

So far I have successfully replaced the shift linkage arm, which was also a bloody nightmare (literally drawing blood), but completed. Took WAY longer than it seemed it should but there you are.

Anyway, my shift linkage is now disconnected from everything except that shaft. I have soaked it in AERO KROIL fluid (thanks to 'huskeric'), heated the 'arm' part that is stuck to the shaft and used a two-pronged pry tool on the end of an 8" bar with a 5lb club hammer to NO EFFECT. I don't think it has moved at all.

My next idea is to use a 2-arm puller which I have ordered from Amazon - similar to a bearing puller, but more compact because there isn't a whole lot of room to work with. Hopefully I can get the puller jaws to seat on the 'back edge' of the arm, with the threaded rod against the shaft and separate the the two parts.

Has anyone else done this update and how did you get the arm from the shaft?
Old 12-27-2021, 11:26 PM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I think you are on the right track by ordering a 2 jaw puller. This sounds very similar to a stuck tie rod end or the like. Unfortunately, using a pickle fork here is not a wise idea.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:45 PM
GarageYears
Rennlist Member

Default Success!

It's off!

I emailed Kyle from Only944 last night and he replied very promptly, suggesting that the bearing puller was the answer - he'd heard from other customers that had the same issue.

He suggested a set of pullers from Harbor Freight, which I got this morning, and within 30 minutes of arriving home the arm is now free of the shaft. I used the smallest puller from the set which is the 3" one. https://www.harborfreight.com/three-...-pc-63953.html

Some tips - I think soaking the arm/shaft in penetrating oil overnight helped. Remove the large center tip from the puller BEFORE you start. The arm will catch on the larger center if you leave it attached and you will have to remove the puller and re-attach it. Lining up the puller is a pain, but you just have to be patient. It will catch and then do it's magic. I used a LONG extension bar and a ratchet to turn the puller center bolt from the outside of the car - there's no room closer to the transmission once you have the puller installed.

The sound when the bar first released from the shaft was very satisfying - a decently loud 'snap!' as 35 years of rust let go. I tried to take a pic of the puller installed on the arm below.

Puller in place and extension bar.

The shaft is now free!

This was the puller set from Harbor Freight. $25
The following 2 users liked this post by GarageYears:
jmj951 (12-28-2021), Nevadarain72 (12-28-2021)
Old 12-28-2021, 07:57 PM
Nevadarain72
Advanced

Originally Posted by GarageYears
It's off!

I emailed Kyle from Only944 last night and he replied very promptly, suggesting that the bearing puller was the answer - he'd heard from other customers that had the same issue.

He suggested a set of pullers from Harbor Freight, which I got this morning, and within 30 minutes of arriving home the arm is now free of the shaft. I used the smallest puller from the set which is the 3" one. https://www.harborfreight.com/three-...-pc-63953.html

Some tips - I think soaking the arm/shaft in penetrating oil overnight helped. Remove the large center tip from the puller BEFORE you start. The arm will catch on the larger center if you leave it attached and you will have to remove the puller and re-attach it. Lining up the puller is a pain, but you just have to be patient. It will catch and then do it's magic. I used a LONG extension bar and a ratchet to turn the puller center bolt from the outside of the car - there's no room closer to the transmission once you have the puller installed.

The sound when the bar first released from the shaft was very satisfying - a decently loud 'snap!' as 35 years of rust let go. I tried to take a pic of the puller installed on the arm below.

This was the puller set from Harbor Freight. $25
Bravo and well done! I'm headed out of town this week so I won't be able to get to it before then, but now I have a plan forward for when I get back! What length of extension bar did you end up needing to make it work?
Old 12-28-2021, 08:46 PM
GarageYears
Rennlist Member

The bar is 22" overall with a swivel joint at the end. This was useful as the shaft is slightly too far after to use a straight extension - I had the swivel at the puller end and that allowed me to get enough angle to have the bar exit the wheel arch cleanly.

The following users liked this post:
Nevadarain72 (12-30-2021)
Old 12-31-2021, 05:28 PM
GarageYears
Rennlist Member

Final update - all the new parts are on the car (shifter, short shift linkage and linkage arm) and the result is excellent. My car only has 48K miles on it and the shift wasn't 'bad' in an really significant way, but now it is tight and shall we say "snappy".

The hardest (worst?) part of installation for the three parts was the linkage arm, since there is very little room to work (unless you have the luxury of doing this with the transmission removed from the car). I certainly tore up both my hands getting that done.

The stuck linkage part of the job was frustrating, but when it came off (finally) using the puller, it seemed trivial.
Old 01-08-2022, 12:18 AM
TJ Elliott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did this job as well and encounter the same issue with the linkage frozen to the shaft. I purchased a $10 battery terminal puller and that worked great. It likely has a limit to how hard it will pull but it worked fine in my case. It has a T handle on the end of the screw so no need to get a ratchet in there. I almost bought the more expensive puller but happy I didn’t in the end.
GarageYears (01-09-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 02:04 AM
Nevadarain72
Advanced

And finally success for me as well! Bought the puller set above from Harbor Freight and got to work. Mine didn't end up needing the extension for the added leverage; just a ratchet on the puller and slowly but surely backed it off the shift shaft. Cleaned off the shifter shaft and installed the short shifter without issue. I already had the linkage arm installed, so it was just a question of hooking everything up. Now onto the next task while she's still up on jack stands.

Mad props to GarageYears for the feedback and information; I was about at my wits end until you chimed in.
GarageYears (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:17 AM
GarageYears
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nevadarain72
And finally success for me as well! Bought the puller set above from Harbor Freight and got to work. Mine didn't end up needing the extension for the added leverage; just a ratchet on the puller and slowly but surely backed it off the shift shaft. Cleaned off the shifter shaft and installed the short shifter without issue. I already had the linkage arm installed, so it was just a question of hooking everything up. Now onto the next task while she's still up on jack stands.

Mad props to GarageYears for the feedback and information; I was about at my wits end until you chimed in.
Well, I think if you hadn't posted this originally maybe I wouldn't have approached this the same way and worked through it quite as diligently!

As they say "a problem shared, is a problem halved".

Great to hear you had success!

Quick Reply: Stuck shifter component