Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

1989 Excellence Magazine 944 Turbo - Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2022, 03:22 PM
will951
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sub'd to this build thread as well. Very cool find.
Old 02-01-2022, 11:29 PM
vaportrail
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GarageYears
Since I am horrible at finding those old threads... once you have the replacements installed and you think they are 'good', would you mind posting the part number of the struts you ordered? At some point mine will need replacing.

Also, did you have to mod them to retain the electric connections for the rear heated glass (and I think the rear wiper - maybe your car has that deleted?).
The Jeep spec rear struts worked perfectly. I bought them on Amazon. They have the electrical spade connectors just like the old ones.

They feel like they are worn out and barely hold the hatch open - which sounds like is ideal to avoid the delamination issues..I would not trust them to hold the hatch open if you live where it is cold.

Link:

Amazon Amazon

Be careful - the electrical/spade connections were brittle and I broke one (maybe it was already broken). Easy fix with a standard crimp on spade connection.
The following users liked this post:
GarageYears (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 10:00 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by vaportrail
The Jeep spec rear struts worked perfectly. I bought them on Amazon. They have the electrical spade connectors just like the old ones.

They feel like they are worn out and barely hold the hatch open - which sounds like is ideal to avoid the delamination issues..I would not trust them to hold the hatch open if you live where it is cold.

Link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be careful - the electrical/spade connections were brittle and I broke one (maybe it was already broken). Easy fix with a standard crimp on spade connection.
Are you saying that the new Amazon jeep ones barely hold the hatch open?
I have found the proper Porsche struts in the past for 14.00$ and they work properly as they are spec’d for our cars.
I would have to do some digging to find where it was.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:04 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Purchasing and or adjusting this will fix the lift issue you are referring to.

Find no 24 and 17

Originally Posted by GarageYears
You mentioned replacing the hood/hatch struts...

Be really careful with the rear hatch struts.

I had the same thought as you, and replaced both hood and hatch struts shortly after I received my car. At which point I noticed a creaking noise from the rear hatch when going over bumps in the road. The new (OEM) rear struts were stressing the hatch surround enough to pull the glass away from the metal frame.

This is common on 944s - there really isn't much holding the glass to the frame and new struts basically push the glass away from the hinges. It's just a rather poor design. Looks nice when new. A real PITA to fix. Once the frame separates there's not a lot you can do. There is a process on Pelican that someone did which claims to re-attach the frame to the glass, but several 'experts' (including one from the PCA) stated this is difficult thing to do and to stay away if possible. My local Porsche shop also said it was almost impossible to fix.

In my case I still had the original rear struts and I put them back on the car, and the glass is mostly re-seated. The old struts are still good to hold the hatch open, but the electric release doesn't pop the hatch open like it would with new struts. I also have a new rear hatch seal I will install to cure the tiny water leak. With the new struts I had a 'big water leak'. Not that the car sees rain, but I noticed it when washing the car.

There are alternates to the OEM struts - I think there are struts from a Jeep that are the same dimensions, but much softer, and hence won't push the glass off the frame. The other common suggestion was to buy a broom handle and trim it to length :-)

Anyway, in the grand scheme of what you will need to do, this is really minor, but may save you the same experience I had.
Old 02-02-2022, 01:11 PM
Autobreza
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Jeep struts I ordered with the above part numbers DID NOT have the electrical connections for the interior light, and could not be adapted to the parts from my old struts.

What p/n did you order?
Old 02-02-2022, 02:27 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 634 Posts

I welcome any feedback. I am aware that this project wont be cheap or easy. This car deserves to be back on the road.
"cheap" and/or "easy" are never in a 951 owner's vocabulary. great cars when running right, but the ROI with these is marginal from a driving enjoyment perspective. just don't keep a tally of the invoices - for your well-being.
Rob 3 (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 06:00 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Dave at Modderman Porsche was the only person in SF Bay Area I ever let touch my 944 Turbo. Give him a shout.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:44 AM
s85b50
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

General advice that I heeded regarding the rear struts, is to get new struts that has about the half~2/3 of compressive strengths compared to the new OEM ones.
I believe SG214008 are the ones. They work like tired OEM struts, with just enough strength to hold the hatch in place.
GarageYears (02-11-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 06:28 PM
Autobreza
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by s85b50
General advice that I heeded regarding the rear struts, is to get new struts that has about the half~2/3 of compressive strengths compared to the new OEM ones.
I believe SG214008 are the ones. They work like tired OEM struts, with just enough strength to hold the hatch in place.
Thanks!
Old 02-27-2022, 03:37 PM
vaportrail
Advanced

Late February update!

With lots of help from a local Rennlister - the Turbo is alive.

I've done hours of cleaning to the literal rats nest in the engine bay. So far - the only real rodent damage was a spark plug wire which was chewed through.

Timing belt was inspected and in good shape. The new timing belt kit from FCP Euro just arrived. It took about two weeks for them to ship it and another 1.5 weeks for Fedex to get around to delivering it.

I drained all the fuel.
Clutch master and slave replaced and bled
Brake systems flushed
New spark plugs and dropped oil in each cyl.
Found some Boxster wheels+tires on Craigslist for $200.

First of three oil changes is happening later today

Against better judgement we fired it up - all systems go. It started right away and runs very, very well. https://photos.app.goo.gl/jdmnfSGnUqsaY4xb6

Ordering the timing belt tools today, hopefully a new belt installed next weekend and then a road test!

Big Thanks to this community and Mark who knows everything about this car.

The following 6 users liked this post by vaportrail:
968to986 (02-28-2022), BLUE952 (03-20-2022), GarageYears (02-28-2022), Mark Dickey (02-27-2022), Nashvegas (03-09-2022), Type65 (02-27-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-27-2022, 03:42 PM
vaportrail
Advanced

Stay tuned for another update to detail out all the many aftermarket parts on this car. No expense was spared.

Off the top of my head:
Various fueling upgrades
Lindsay racing oil cooler
968 6 Speed Trans
Adjustable boost control
Billet Wastegate

There's much, much more. We're still unraveling this car.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:17 PM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Awesome! Can’t wait to read your first impressions of driving the car with that 968 crank.
Old 02-27-2022, 05:47 PM
Type65
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 165 Posts

Glad to see you are making progress! It's always a great feeling the first time you get your project car to run and even better the first time you get to drive it, which will hopeful be soon!
Old 02-27-2022, 09:20 PM
thom4782
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfl503
Have you already checked with ABP Repair / BauerWerks in Oakland? They are usually booked out 2 weeks, not 2 months.
I've tried a number of shops over 20 years with my 951 and 986. Favorite is Vanguard Motors in SF. Excellent work...great attention to detail.
Old 02-28-2022, 02:09 AM
vaportrail
Advanced

I may need to post this elsewhere, but I am looking for a few items:

*Lindsay Racing oil cooler (I have one that suffered physical damage). I only need the cooler, not any of the plumbing: https://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Por...1-3XP-OIL.html
*Front bumper. White would be awesome
*Passenger side fog lamp lens, also amber turn signal lens

Quick Reply: 1989 Excellence Magazine 944 Turbo - Build Thread