Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Vitesse Stage 2 kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2022, 12:39 AM
notnilc20
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vitesse Stage 2 kit

I bought a second hand Vitesse stg. 2 maf/turbo kit. I was hopiing I could get the wiring details from someone here who has installed one before back in the day. Admittedly I dont know much about this kind of thing. I have a wiring diagram from PerfectPower, but is this the computer that Vitesse used for their kits? I did try to contact Vitesse and they said they no longer support this kit because it is outdated. Thanks for any help.
Old 04-19-2022, 12:16 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I bought my Vitesse kit secondhand in like 2008 and was told support only extends to the original purchaser so I was on my own. The dude wouldn't even tell me where he prefers we source 12v power for the MAF. (Protip- There is 12V available at the cycling valve plug which is surely deleted on any 951 at this point).It's been 14 years and I still have no idea what any of the switches on the chipboard do

If the product wasn't so good I would have tossed it due to the lack of support - but once its set up it just works...so I still run it.

Next time I pop by the garage I'll draw up a diagram for you
Old 04-19-2022, 12:32 PM
Mike Goebel
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by MM951
I bought my Vitesse kit secondhand in like 2008 and was told support only extends to the original purchaser so I was on my own. The dude wouldn't even tell me where he prefers we source 12v power for the MAF. (Protip- There is 12V available at the cycling valve plug which is surely deleted on any 951 at this point).It's been 14 years and I still have no idea what any of the switches on the chipboard do
WOW he must be really looking for return customers.

Mike G.

Old 04-19-2022, 12:35 PM
notnilc20
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MM951

If the product wasn't so good I would have tossed it due to the lack of support - but once its set up it just works...so I still run it.

Next time I pop by the garage I'll draw up a diagram for you

That would be so helpful! Even some detailed pics would go a long way. Thanks man!
Old 04-19-2022, 12:43 PM
MM951
Race Director

For sure - you will absolutely love the way the car drives with the Vitesse kit. I literally had Toyota like drivability and reliability once I had good grounds (iceShark may he RIP) , new engine harness (thanks to LR) , and the Vitesse hardware/software. I put around 200K miles on my 951 so far under my ownership with at least 180K of those miles with the Vitesse Racing stuff on it and never had an issue with it once installed and sorted.
The following users liked this post:
notnilc20 (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 03:53 PM
notny41
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had talked with John about mine that I got with the car when I bought it. He did point me to this doc. I don't know if it will help or not:https://ln5.sync.com/dl/1bb19c8b0/qz...8njeh-jvupj95c
notnilc20 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 04:05 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

OP - based on the pictures you sent, you do not have a "Stage 2 kit". Some of your parts date back to 2003. You have a S2 turbo from 2006-2007, and you are the 4th owner if not the 5th.
The particular PB you have was discontinued back in 2004.
As I told you (as well as the seller of your parts), the instructions were unique to the PB you have and were lost (due to HW crash) years ago. So be careful which wiring diagram you follow.
Based on the pictures I have seen, you have a plug-and-play MAF pigtail, so no wiring (except for switched +12V).
​​​​
Having 1000s of items in the field, in many cases some exchanged hands numerous times. Not knowing the condition of the parts, and considering the number of owners, no one including us can offer free support over and over again.
Over the years, when possible, we always helped non original owners.

As for the dip switches on the ChipBoard, they are used to select different images. We do not keep track of this information. We always ask the original owner to keep track of it!!!!!

As everyone can tell from the above posts, Vitesse products are well designed and well built. People are still using them 20+ years later. The support policy is in place for a reason! So when buying used, make sure you get everything, including the instructions we originally provided.

Some installation instructions were unique!!! There are various PB models as well as MAF styles, not to mention software releases. Each installation document is unique to the hardware you have. Using incorrect instructions could damage your HW.

​​​​​​

Last edited by fast951; 04-19-2022 at 04:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by fast951:
fejjj (04-21-2022), mtnman82 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 04:13 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Notny41, I know you are trying to help the OP, and it's appreciated! However, this is the perfect example of a hardware, software and instructions mismatch.
Once I figured what "you" have, I was able to send you the proper instructions.

The installation posted here, is not compatible with every MAFs. The hardware is totally different.

​​​​​

Originally Posted by notny41
I had talked with John about mine that I got with the car when I bought it. He did point me to this doc. I don't know if it will help or not:https://ln5.sync.com/dl/1bb19c8b0/qz...8njeh-jvupj95c

Last edited by fast951; 04-19-2022 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2022, 11:56 PM
huskeric
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951
OP - based on the pictures you sent, you do not have a "Stage 2 kit". Some of your parts date back to 2003. You have a S2 turbo from 2006-2007, and you are the 4th owner if not the 5th.
As I told you (as well as the seller of your parts), the instructions were unique to the PB you have and were lost (due to HW crash) years ago. So be careful which wiring diagram you follow.
Based on the pictures I have seen, you have a plug-and-play MAF pigtail, so no wiring (except for switched +12V).
​​​​
Having 1000s of items in the field, in many cases some exchanged hands numerous times. Not knowing the condition of the parts, and considering the number of owners, no one including us can offer free support over and over again.

As for the dip switches on the ChipBoard, they are used to select different images. We do not keep track of this information. We always ask the original owner to keep track of it!!!!!

As everyone can tell from the above posts, Vitesse products are well designed and well built. People are still using them 20+ years later. The support policy is in place for a reason! So when buying used, make sure you get everything, including the instructions we originally provided.

Some installation instructions were unique!!! There are various PB models as well as MAF styles, not to mention software releases. Each installation document is unique to the hardware you have. Using incorrect instructions could damage your HW.

​​​​​​
off original topic, but relevant and thought I would share my positive experience w/VR on a used wasted spark purchase. I had this unit sitting on my shelf since 2013 and finally was able to get to the installation - and quickly realized I was missing the instructions. I chose to seek this info from other Rennlisters, as I realize 'time is money.' After getting nowhere, I did reach out to John and relayed I was not the original owner of said unit. Within hours, he asked to me email him directly and he would send me the directions. Once received, the install was successfully completed.

We are fortunate to have John a part of this community.
The following 2 users liked this post by huskeric:
fejjj (04-21-2022), mtnman82 (04-21-2022)
Old 04-20-2022, 01:17 AM
notny41
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by notny41; 04-20-2022 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2022, 02:41 AM
notnilc20
Intermediate

Default wiring

Originally Posted by fast951
​​​​

​​​​​​
John Thank you for chiming in. Yeah I completely understand what you mean by trying to give support to second hand owners when it's difficult to determine what they are working with. I only mention it in my OP because If I do not, the overwhelming response will be "try contacting vitesse for support" etc etc. So by no means was I trying to send a negative message. That being said, you mentioned that you do not believe I have a stage 2 kit based on the photos I emailed you. I have attached a bit more detailed photos here again. Hopefully it will help.
The maf connector and temp sensor look to be plug and play as you mentioned, just need to find a good 12v source.

Looking at the wiring for the PB, I see a purple/blk, grey, and blk wire used to connect to the serial port with a USB connector to wire to a laptop.
Blk/wht, green/yellow and green all connected to a single green wire
A yellow, purple and brown/blk wire.
brown soldered to a blue wire.
red and blk wire I'm assuming for power and ground

And the seller also threw in an extra harness that he said wasn't really connected to anything but was told that it was for if you wanted to run a wasted spark application. ???

Finally I have a screenshot of a wiring diagram from perfect power. This was supplied by the seller. Is this a smt6 box? It seems that not all the wiring is there in the diagram however.

Again,I appreciate any help provided. Thanks in advance.

The mystery harness for wasted spark application?

Old 04-20-2022, 10:23 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

OP...with all due respect...
How much work have you done on your car previously? Are you comfortable doing this install?
If you are not, this may not be a good project for you to take on.
Do you plan on installing the turbo yourself? Or do you have a tech who will do the job?
Neither the turbo install or wiring at the DME are for the faint of heart. . Ask me how I know.
20 years I've been working on my 951, stuff still goes wrong for me messing with the DME harness.
Just my 2 cents, I don't want to be negative, everyone has to learn somehow, but will be an intense project.
You may want to consider a new air filter on that MAF too.

Last edited by mwc951; 04-20-2022 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:37 PM
notnilc20
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mwc951
OP...with all due respect...
How much work have you done on your car previously? Are you comfortable doing this install?
If you are not, this may not be a good project for you to take on.
Do you plan on installing the turbo yourself? Or do you have a tech who will do the job?
Neither the turbo install or wiring at the DME are not for the faint of heart. . Ask me how I know.
20 years I've been working on my 951, stuff still goes wrong for me messing with the DME harness.
Just my 2 cents, I don't want to be negative, everyone has to learn somehow, but will be an intense project.
You may want to consider a new air filter on that MAF too.

Yes I can handle this. I just need to know what wires go where. Although I've had my 951 for a couple years, I'm still fairly new to it. But I've worked on my previous 996 doing a IMS solution and before that did a full restomod engine swap on an old Toyota ae86 and before that other projects....This isn't too scary for me but maybe it should be.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:46 PM
mwc951
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 34 Posts

Good deal.
I'm sure that IMS project is quite an undertaking!
May want to consider re selling what you bought,
the current Vitesse MAF kit would get you close enough that you *might* not even need a PB.
Do a search for V-MAF+
Keep that harness intact, if you can!
And if you insist on installing a PB, the SMT-8 is more current technology than the 6.

Last edited by mwc951; 04-21-2022 at 12:07 AM.
notnilc20 (04-20-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 11:40 AM
MM951
Race Director

I've been super busy but I plan on being at the garage tomorrow morning and I'll shoot you some pictures. My recollection is you plug the MAF adapter harness into the AFM plug, source 12v from the cycling valve connector, and find a good ground. Thats all for the MAF.

I don't think you'll need the piggyback - it is incredibly close right out of the box and in 14 years and 180K miles I haven't felt the need to adjust anything. Perfect AFRs, idle, etc.

Quick Reply: Vitesse Stage 2 kit