Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Does anyone have any info on this 944 S2 3.0 turbo build?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 06:43 PM
stuartb
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Does anyone have any info on this 944 S2 3.0 turbo build?

In a moment of madness, I've bought this. You'd think I'd already suffered enough restoring and building a restomod Skyline R33 GTR

And what do you do with a car that you have no idea about, that wasn't fully complete and has been driven 3000 miles since 2007 and only a handful since 2012? Well, you drive it all the way across Europe of course... UK To Croatia, 1100 miles, 2 days.

Milton Keynes to the South Coast, then Folkestone, Calais (France), Belgium, Germany, Austria, Slovenia and then finally on to Croatia.

Prep work included changing the battery, fiddling with an oil pressure sensor wire (that still doesn't work), removing part of the rollcage so I could use the handbrake, and checking the fluids. Bought a battery booster and all the usual stuff needed for a trip.

There were a few hairy moments as the alternator only decided to start properly charging after 700 miles, and it nearly didn't start a few times as a result... the clutch depressed and I had to pull it back with my foot, once, after the first day in the morning, but all in all, a success.
Only used a quarter of the oil indicator (3/4 to half), but I was cruising at 70 mph with a few 100 mph squirts, but overall, very reserved driving. Managed 28 mpg average.

All I know about the car, is that the engine was built with CP pistons (lower compression), some sort of forged rods, augment automotive daughter board on the OEM ECU, what appears to be wasted spark setup with a strange piggyback on the distributor block?, a KKK 28/8 turbo, toyota supra intake manifold (partly, chopped up), a porsche TB, custom tubular manifold, turbosmart recirculating valve, a boost controller.
Turbo S Gearbox + LSD, refurbished torque tube, some sort of upgraded clutch, and various other things. Fire suppression system, rollcage, recaro pole position seats, etc.

Apparently it managed 300hp @ 0.65 bar ,and they stopped as they had oil pressure issues - the oil pressure relief valve was cleaned or replaced, not sure, and it never went back for the final mapping.

If anyone knows anything about the car, please let me know!

We have a few plans, will start by stripping it down and inspecting drivechain+engine.

In germany

The build

In the UK

At the eurotunnel

In Austria

Old 07-13-2022, 07:07 PM
Chapman951
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice find. Sounds like you know quite a bit already.
Believe i have seen this car on one of the facebook 944 community pages.

Alpine white or Grand Prix white?

looks good… digging the headlights. No sunroof option is rare.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:54 AM
stuartb
Intermediate

Yep I know the basics from the adverts, but nothing more. Hoping to stumble on a built thread. I'm not sure how to search FB community groups. Colour, not sure yet!
Old 07-14-2022, 05:58 AM
sherry66
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, I built it and sold it to Tom as I wasn't using it and have been concentrating on my other 16v turbo . It was built for the track so very harsh , low and loud , respect for driving it to crotia . Never used much after putting the 16v engine in after the 3L8v scored up its bores , but you have run it in well now !!
They are 8v JE pistons with valve reliefs for 16v machined in with Pure Performance Motorsport connecting rods and 968 crank . Its an S2 we did a sunroof delete with a 924 roof skin . Turbo is k27/8 on s2 headers and turbo crossover just the flanges have been swapped. There is a video of it on you tube of it on the dyno at Augment Automotive . Never had any oil pressure problems after the oprv cleaned from being on dyno. We think that was just the rings wearing in and dirty oil . Always run on mobil 1 motorsport oil .
The strange coincidence is we have a place in Hvar I have just got back from , could have dropped it off if you had waited till september .
Enjoy ,
Simon
The following 3 users liked this post by sherry66:
333pg333 (07-16-2022), J1NX3D (08-23-2022), kerosene350 (09-11-2022)
Old 07-14-2022, 06:15 AM
sherry66
Instructor

And the gear case with oil cooler along with the lsd is all turbo s but gears and cw/p are S2 .The clutch is a sintered sprung 6 Puck I had made locally from a oe clutch plate. Not sure what's going on with clutch pedal as master ,slave and hoses all new.
There is a build thread across on Tipec under S2 Repair on this car and my others if you need more information.

Last edited by sherry66; 07-14-2022 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:22 AM
stuartb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sherry66
And the gear case with oil cooler along with the lsd is all turbo s but gears and cw/p are S2 .The clutch is a sintered sprung 6 Puck I had made locally from a oe clutch plate. Not sure what's going on with clutch pedal as master ,slave and hoses all new.
There is a build thread across on Tipec under S2 Repair on this car and my others if you need more information.
I thought I might find the builder on here! Great!

If you could point me in the direction of the threads, so I can do a bit of reading, that would be excellent.

Who knows, maybe we see each other on Hvar and I bring the car!

Thanks for the extra info. Be good to chat one of these days.

Regards
Stuart

Old 07-14-2022, 01:01 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Congrats for your purchase, sounds like a good car. Wish you a lot of fun. 16V engines are fun.

Simon, why did you use a small-ish 951 throttle body?
Old 07-14-2022, 03:08 PM
sherry66
Instructor

Thom it was the first 16v I did so tried to make everything simple with oe intercooler and throttle body and crossover using the k27 so everything bolted straight up .

Last edited by sherry66; 07-14-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-14-2022, 03:16 PM
sherry66
Instructor

Stuart pm me if you need any information .
Old 07-14-2022, 04:15 PM
stuartb
Intermediate

Stuart pm me if you need any information .
will do now, thank you
Old 07-14-2022, 04:15 PM
stuartb
Intermediate

Thom it was the first 16v I did so tried to make everything simple with oe intercooler and throttle body and crossover using the k27 so everything bolted straight up .
To be honest that is what I like about the car. Most stuff is porsche, and that adds to the charm. My Skyline is bits from all over, and it's not quite the same as if I had achieved the same result with all Nissan parts
Old 07-14-2022, 05:06 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Nice trip and car. What part of croatia did you go to?
Old 07-14-2022, 05:20 PM
stuartb
Intermediate

I live in Croatia full time now, so the car will be exported to Croatia soon.

This will be the 3rd UK car here. I think I own about 50% of the countries RHD cars.

This is my middlehurt UK GTR which will be its garage buddy, running a fully forged Abbey Motorsport engine and full modernisation. New loom, standalone ecu, DBW, E-WG, etc. 620hp / 730nm. I wonder if the Porsche will give it a run for its money when fully set up? It's still a 2.6 after all.

Last edited by stuartb; 07-14-2022 at 05:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
J1NX3D (08-23-2022)
Old 07-16-2022, 12:28 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

That would be an interesting comparison between the 2 cars. Yes, definitely let us know when you have the 944 sorted .
Old 08-22-2022, 10:23 AM
stuartb
Intermediate

We started preparing the car for the track and we stumbled upon a few problems we needed to solve.

Firstly, we're getting blue smoke on the overrun, so potentially an issue with the turbo that needs solving and there are engine oil leaks all over the place.
Secondly, the vibration from the engine within certain RPM is probably connected to the fact the turbo back / downpipe has no flexi, so we have solidly mounted all the way back. We're not yet sure what to do about that.
The timing was off, the balance shaft was one tooth incorrectly set, so now the strange noises and whine coming from the timing belt are solved.
The coils mounted off the cam cover caused it to crack due to the weight, so we've (with great difficulty) managed to weld it back together and relocate the coils. Now we need to source a blanking plate.
Various bolts were loose, from bonnet catches to suspension parts and needed retorquing.
We've relocated the fuel pressure gauge as it was hovering too close to the manifold.
The gearbox oil came out with broken parts and metallic flakes, so we've pulled the box which is not in the best condition and found the aluminium drive gear for the cooling pump has just disintegrated.
We can't buy new from Porsche as only the open diff one is available so sourcing a new one from the USA (remanufactured).

The car is not really as advertised, but you live and learn with these things. A lot of the major work has been done, it just needs a lot more work - we hope to have some basic set-up done and ready for Grobnik track day in September.

Video of engine running after being retimed with new belts (balance shaft+timing) and coils relocated (I've discovered that balance shaft belts arent cheap!). Still sounds diesel-y as a lot of the noise is from vibrations and resonating from the exhaust & downpipe setup, we just have no room to do anything about it:

Last edited by stuartb; 08-22-2022 at 10:29 AM.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have any info on this 944 S2 3.0 turbo build?