Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Engine rebuild shops and cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 09:40 PM
BrianRMV
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine rebuild shops and cost

I'm not ready to have my engine rebuilt yet but I'm starting to research the idea a bit. I'm not remotely qualified to do it myself, so I'm trying to find out who has a history of 951 rebuilds, and what the rough cost will be. I have 210k on the engine. It runs well, but I suspect that it's not optimal. I know there is a little scuffing in one of the cylinders. There are things I know I'll have to have worked on at some point (clutch, oil pan gasket, wire harnesses, etc.) that will be a lot cheaper with the engine out. I don't put many miles on the car annually, so this work would go a long way towards it being functional longer than I am. Any suggestions on shops and guesstimates of cost would be appreciated. I'm in NW Washington state. My preference would be to take the car to a shop rather than pull and ship the engine.

Thanks for any input.
Old 11-15-2022, 06:11 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Used to be quite a few 951 race cars in WA running Wolf EMS from Random Engine Management, Bob Boyer. Searching doesn't find anything recent so he may be gone, but any of those old racers would the right people to ask for a local engine builder rec.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:51 PM
BrianRMV
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I've done a few searches and don't come up with many options. My first thought is to send the engine to LR, but I'm looking for options in case they can't fit it in.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:36 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I would try asking around your local PCA chapter first, esp the Club Racing people.
Old 11-17-2022, 02:23 AM
four0four
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've got Bearing Services down in Portland doing a bunch of machine work for mine - It's my impression they'll handle a lot more than that, though. They're not cheap, but they are the same shop that does the work for some big name vintage dealers, so...I'd give them at least a call

Expect to be a very small fish in the pond in general, though - Shops are busy, and you're a one-shot job, probably.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:00 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts

PM sent.

Quick Reply: Engine rebuild shops and cost