Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbocharger assessment

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 09:11 PM
brocknlucas
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbocharger assessment

Greetings to all fonts of wisdom 951 related...

As Newbies to both engine rebuilding and the 944 T itself, we are rebuilding the engine of a 1986 model with a bad #2 conrod bearing. While we have every thing apart, we want to make sure we get all of the bits and pieces sorted out before putting it back together again..

Objective is to have the rebuilt engine/car as reliable as possible for fun road use, and if cheap gains to HP and performance can be achieved without breaking the bank, so much the better.

Can you point us to any procedures in addition to the Workshop manual for evaluating the condition of the Turbocharger (k26-6) and its seals while out of the car and whether or not a rebuild is advisable? The car previously tended to burn oil, but we are not sure one could specifically point to the TC as the culprit.

Much obliged for any guidance provided

B&L

Last edited by brocknlucas; 01-17-2023 at 09:25 PM. Reason: specified turbo number...
Old 01-18-2023, 12:51 AM
Millermatic
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 102 Posts

My two cents as a former newbie ‘86 951 owner (who still has a lot left to learn)...

The turbo on a 951 is a bit of a headache to get to. I think there’s a lot of value to doing all of the “while you are in there” things that you can on a now 37-year-old car.

If you don’t know the history and don’t have tons of experience... send the turbo out to be rebuilt while you’ve got everything apart.
Old 01-18-2023, 12:30 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 387 Likes on 252 Posts

There's nothing easy, nor cheap on a 951.
But it's worth the effort.
Just send it out now...
Old 01-18-2023, 06:43 PM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Send it to Charlie at Evergreen Turbo and be done with it. Will give you honest opinion and provide upgrade ideas. Look up Evergreen here on Rennlist, plenty of recommendations.
The following users liked this post:
spencang (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 11:34 PM
hp18racer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 944M3
Send it to Charlie at Evergreen Turbo and be done with it. Will give you honest opinion and provide upgrade ideas. Look up Evergreen here on Rennlist, plenty of recommendations.
Excellent advice....
Old 01-23-2023, 01:47 PM
vaportrail
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

I sent my turbo to Evergreen as I was having an oil blow by issue, Turns out my turbo was fine but I did some upgrades. These older turbos benefit greatly by doing updates to the impeller wheel. My 951 went from zero to full boost at 4k RPM on the old turbo, to boosting linearly starting from 2.8k. Also I can only turn my boost control up to 45% or so and I'm getting the full 17-18PSI, It's been an amazing upgrade and I'd do it again.
Old 01-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Toolbelt0
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

These cars are plenty fun even in stock form. My best advice is too upkeep them in there best original form. Maybe a chip upgrade with some additional boost helps a lot in the fun department. At most a very fun turbo upgrade like Evergreen. But, even that turbo will overcome the shortfalls of the DME electronics ability to read hp past 300 hp.
There are lots of resources to keep these cars running forever. You have Koons wiring harnesses, Ftech 9 for DME's. KEP for beefer clutch etc. Electronics are aging and this is probably the best investment one can make.
Unfortunately the DME electronics aren't that easy to overcome for added HP and have been fiddled with by numerous hp chasers with limited success. So for me at least, I feel that, if you want to chase big HP, I think its best to go all out and start with a stand alone.

Quick Reply: Turbocharger assessment