Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

No Spark on 951 after storing for a year

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2024, 10:10 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

did you open up any drains under the battery tray? what happens to the water that goes there?
btw I liked it better before you sprayed black. you should respray the black with better coverage.
good luck!
Old 01-03-2024, 12:47 AM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
did you open up any drains under the battery tray? what happens to the water that goes there?
btw I liked it better before you sprayed black. you should respray the black with better coverage.
good luck!
Yes, the drain is fine and never was plugged.

i know the final paint looks bad but it’s quite difficult to get rattle can paint in there at all and especially difficult with gloss paint to get any kind of even coverage. But once the battery is in, you can barely see any of it and the bit you do see looks pretty similar to the OE 35 year old weathered paint. And once it gets dirty, i doubt it’ll be different at all.
POR-15 specifies to not leave areas that might be exposed to UV light bare. It’s a bit confusing if UV light actually weakens the product or if it simply causes the shine of POR to be affected. I read sections on their own website which sort of alluded to both so not sure what the true answer is but i figured i would paint it. I agree the primer looks better but it definitely doesn’t match the rest of the under hood paint. And the light in the photo makes it look much worse than in real life. It’s not bad but it is definitely not a concours paint job; i just wanted something to stop water and hopefully keep it from getting into the ECU as well as keeping the rust away for the time being. I’m not naive enough to expect the rust to be cured but depending on how effective POR is, i should be ok for awhile. And by the time it appears again, i should have a welder and can fix it properly, although getting a decent bead down in that area will not be easy at all!
Old 01-29-2024, 12:07 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

makes sense and much better than before!

Quick Reply: No Spark on 951 after storing for a year