Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Power, where is the sweet spot for the road?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 07:45 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by sherry66
All buttoned up Blade , but that’s a keeper . Onto the 924 .
Nice turbo on piston heads that was owned by Lee noble that’s had a few mods . Gives an idea how much it affects value playing around with these cars even with decent history .
That turbo is a real Triggers broom. And you have to wonder what someone was thinking, to sink even half of that money in to it. I seem to recall it being for sale 2 or 3 times, but 170k is the kiss of death for buyers, unless it's a very special car.
Old 06-21-2023, 07:55 AM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eldavo
I’ll see if I can get down August - October unless you fancy a trip to Croft in August?
Croft would be a bit of a trek, without the mapping being somewhere close. Cadwell is only about half an hour away.
The following users liked this post:
Eldavo (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 08:25 AM
Eldavo
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
Croft would be a bit of a trek, without the mapping being somewhere close. Cadwell is only about half an hour away.
Get it mapped by Dan at DanST in Shipley on the way up
Old 06-21-2023, 08:55 AM
blade7
Drifting

Get it mapped by Dan at DanST in Shipley on the way up
I'd like to try the autotune to start with, how close did you get with that? I'll wait until I've fitted the big turbo and binned the gutted AFM, plus fitted the boost solenoid and wasted spark, before getting it mapped I think.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:06 AM
sherry66
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Oh dear , I have 184,000 on my odometer !
But it is a bit special just like my mum said about me .
I'll put the 16v head to one side till you have had a go in Davids car Blade .
Eldavo (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 12:24 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by sherry66
Oh dear , I have 184,000 on my odometer !
But it is a bit special just like my mum said about me .
I'll put the 16v head to one side till you have had a go in Davids car Blade .
What's that old saying about don't waste time building something, that you can buy? You don't have a modified exhaust manifold, inlet manifold and cam cover for that head do you...I expect it needs new valve guides too.
Eldavo (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 02:35 PM
sherry66
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Comes with cam cover , variocam and both cams . I will include 16 exhaust manifold and a turbo one you can cut flanges of to mate to your crossover . David has a great welder to do intake , my welder has retired .
As for valve guides , any 944 engine with the head of is worth doing the guides as they dont last long . I think its around £150 as most places dont remove , replace and ream porsche guides but use there own .
See what you make of Davids first , i think you will like .
Old 06-21-2023, 03:06 PM
blade7
Drifting

I wonder what a very good 2.7 head + cambox goes for these days.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:12 PM
Eldavo
Track Day

I'd like to try the autotune to start with, how close did you get with that? I'll wait until I've fitted the big turbo and binned the gutted AFM, plus fitted the boost solenoid and wasted spark, before getting it mapped I think.
Autotune was ok for getting the fuelling in the right ballpark but it doesn’t do spark advance and that is VERY conservative for obvious reasons.
Old 06-21-2023, 06:36 PM
blade7
Drifting

Autotune was ok for getting the fuelling in the right ballpark but it doesn’t do spark advance and that is VERY conservative for obvious reasons.
Did you have the spark advance mapped on your 8v engine?
Old 06-21-2023, 07:56 PM
Eldavo
Track Day

Did you have the spark advance mapped on your 8v engine?
Yup - it was making something like 180bhp when I got there and nearer 350bhp when I left
Old 06-22-2023, 01:24 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
The entire exhaust back pressure discussion is an important one in terms of optimising these engines for whatever use scenario you are targeting.

The other area where I think we could perhaps look at things a little differently is not to talk about boost pressure- which is nothing more than a measure of restriction - an important practical limitation though it is.
I think we should be talking about an engine's VE in terms of the air mass it can flow in lb/min.
You can apply a rule of thumb to convert that air flow to crank bhp - approximately 10 crank hp per lb/min airflow.
Two engines with different VE's will flow different amounts of air at any given boost pressure - and as an engine is essentially a pump - we need to be thinking of the engine system in terms of pumping efficiencies rather than pumping restrictions.
Basically no two tuned 951 engines are the same - we all have various combinations of parts, whether they be factory, aftermarket or own build - so we all have slightly different "systems" - so let's look at the air flow mass of our systems to identify which are being most efficient before they encounter unacceptable levels of restriction.
That said, we tailor our build to our intended use - so some might choose to sacrifice top-end efficiency for enhanced low-end or mid-range transient response - all valid - it's horses for courses.
This is a great point, especially for those going all-out with a full engine build and custom turbo, manifolds, etc. There are many options in 2023, can have an ultra-responsive torque monster of an engine with a slightly restrictive turbo setup, or a high-revving race engine with aggressive camshafts and an efficient, low-backpressure turbo setup to enhance high-RPM power, or anything in between. Budget, talent, and quality are the only limitations

For those keeping stock-ish engines, however, the "old school" discussion method of boost pressure numbers and the pros and cons of the limited amount of bolt-on turbo options are still valid, as this type of build is clearly geared towards someone on a budget and/or wants to keep the car close to stock parameters, and datalogging is limited. That said, I do remember some of the folks running MAF setups comparing peak raw voltages back in the day---though that is subject to the parameters of the various 951 MAF setups at the time.

To your point about measuring overall air mass, Banks Power (does mostly diesel tuning) here in the USA has the same idea, but takes it a step further:

https://official.bankspower.com/density/

Last edited by Droops83; 06-22-2023 at 01:35 AM.
Noahs944 (06-25-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 02:47 AM
blade7
Drifting

Yup - it was making something like 180bhp when I got there and nearer 350bhp when I left
I'm surprised it started that much down on something like the Lindsey/Promax chips, that must also have fairly conservative ignition mapping. If mine feels that flat, I'd be interested in trying your map, for a drink .
Old 06-22-2023, 06:17 AM
Eldavo
Track Day

I'm surprised it started that much down on something like the Lindsey/Promax chips, that must also have fairly conservative ignition mapping. If mine feels that flat, I'd be interested in trying your map, for a drink .
It made 308bop on the LR/Promax chips. The 180 was on VEMS with the bobby basic map. Just ping me your email and I’ll send you the map I used - but the caveat is it was done for my engine, with my hybrid turbo, 80lb injectors, bigger valves and a different cam so as they say in the USA - YMMV!
Old 06-22-2023, 08:58 AM
blade7
Drifting

Nice one, I'll PM you my email over on PCGB.
Eldavo (06-22-2023)

Quick Reply: Power, where is the sweet spot for the road?