Need some clutch wisdom - suddenly won't go into gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2023, 02:35 AM
Black89
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some clutch wisdom - suddenly won't go into gear

Long time lurker, first time poster

This happened all of a sudden - start the car in the garage and can't get it into gear. Clutch feels fine, same "weight" as previous but it's not releasing. I got under the car today and can see through the inspection hole (cover missing of course..) that the rod rests in the normal position, and extends to what would seem to be normal from my research. I can't measure it directly, but when engaged, the rod is far enough extended that I can't fit my pinky between it and the wall, so hydraulics seem fine. As getting to the internals is a sizable job I wanted to see if anybody had any other thoughts before I commit myself to having it pulled apart.

Seems that it's either:
- clutch disk stuck / jammed with something?
- bent fork

fwiw it did this once before - in that case, stopped the engine, restart and it was good to go again

car is 89 951 with 106K miles. May well be original clutch

Any insights appreciated!
Old 08-14-2023, 02:37 AM
JET951
Drifting

Received 83 Likes on 48 Posts

Most likely a broken clutch fork. Seen it quite a few times
Old 08-14-2023, 08:49 AM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Received 330 Likes on 267 Posts

Could also be a failed pilot bearing or a dry spline interface at disk / driveshaft. With wheels blocked, try engaging the starter with trans in reverse and clutch pedal depressed.
Old 08-14-2023, 11:34 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Location: Formerly the DPRK, now seeking political asylum in Oregon
Received 385 Likes on 250 Posts

If it sat for a long time, sometimes the clutch disc sticks to the flywheel.
Try starting it in gear, brakes locked down, clutch pedal depressed as Gage recommended above.
Might unstick it. Happened regularly on my ancient Dodge pickup.
Old 08-15-2023, 02:28 AM
Black89
6th Gear

Thanks all. Will give the break it free test a try (without fuel pump running). She's just been sleeping for a couple of weeks

re broken fork, wouldn't that affect pedal feel? Clutch pedal feel is normal - same weight, same free play as before. Is there anything that can be seen through the inspection hole - I do have one of those snake cameras
Old 08-15-2023, 09:49 AM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I agree with you that a broken fork would feel different. But can easily be confirmed with camera.

I would perhaps bleed the system first. Make sure you are getting full extension of clutch cylinder.

Old 08-20-2023, 07:38 PM
Black89
6th Gear

Update. tl;dr looks like pilot bearing

Tried turning it over (no DME relay) with it in gear, clutch disengaged - almost felt normal so definitely no serious jam. Popped the DME relay back in and started in gear with clutch disengaged - car wanted to creep just a bit but idled fine - so some drag. Letting the clutch out I could feel it start to grab around normal point, so does not appear to be disk related and also rules out hydraulics. Still wouldn't go into gear though. Repeated and rev'd a bit a few times in gear and clutch disengaged, and back to normal for now at least.

Everything says pilot bearing to me, so there's a clutch job in the not too distant future for me now. From the inspection hole, clutch is probably about 50% (eyeballed it as roughly half way between the 18 and 34mm values)
The following users liked this post:
Nowanker (08-21-2023)
Old 08-20-2023, 07:42 PM
Eldavo
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this once not long after fitting the Only 944 short shift kit. I hadn’t loctited the spiked bolt that goes into the engagement rod on the gearbox. Worth taking a look to see if it’s worked it’s way loose (under the rubber bellows on top of the gearbox).
Old 08-21-2023, 11:20 AM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black89
Update. tl;dr looks like pilot bearing

Tried turning it over (no DME relay) with it in gear, clutch disengaged - almost felt normal so definitely no serious jam. Popped the DME relay back in and started in gear with clutch disengaged - car wanted to creep just a bit but idled fine - so some drag. Letting the clutch out I could feel it start to grab around normal point, so does not appear to be disk related and also rules out hydraulics. Still wouldn't go into gear though. Repeated and rev'd a bit a few times in gear and clutch disengaged, and back to normal for now at least.

Everything says pilot bearing to me, so there's a clutch job in the not too distant future for me now. From the inspection hole, clutch is probably about 50% (eyeballed it as roughly half way between the 18 and 34mm values)
Nice diagnostic procedure!

It kills me to see how often people just start throwing parts at a problem before any troubleshooting.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:28 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

The damage may already be done but I recommend not running it in this condition as the pilot nub of the driveshaft will wear quickly.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:03 PM
944M3
Rennlist Member

I know it’s difficult translating troubleshooting and what’s actually happening. So I’m probably missing something.

Not sure why a bad pilot bearing would stop the car from going in gear. A bad pilot bearing from my experience just whines and maybe rattles when bad. It’s more of an annoyance but won’t stop the car from going in gear.

You mentioned the car moved forward when you tried starting with DME relay out? If the car was in gear and you engaged the starter motor then the car should have lurched forward almost violently. I’ve actually moved my car up the driveway into my garage just using the starter motor. Meaning cranking it several times.

Also, a 50% disk is more than enough clutch material.

Again, maybe I’m missing something but sounds like something in the transmission. I believe a previous poster suggested you check the rod and if it’s attached correctly. Also you can try manually changing the gears at the tranny. You should be able to easily feel the gears engage. Does it “feel”normal?
Old 08-21-2023, 01:15 PM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gage
The damage may already be done but I recommend not running it in this condition as the pilot nub of the driveshaft will wear quickly.
I don’t believe this is true. It would take a lot of torque to strip or wear out the teeth (ends) of a driveshaft. Parts would break elsewhere with that much torque.

A pilot bearing is just that, a bearing. The spline or end of the driveshaft is not inserted or placed in the bearing. It goes through the bearing like a ring.
Old 08-21-2023, 01:33 PM
944M3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944M3
I don’t believe this is true. It would take a lot of torque to strip or wear out the teeth (ends) of a driveshaft. Parts would break elsewhere with that much torque.

A pilot bearing is just that, a bearing. The spline or end of the driveshaft is not inserted or placed in the bearing. It goes through the bearing like a ring.
I reread this and realize you are not referring to the driveshaft ends. Never mind lol
Old 08-21-2023, 02:04 PM
Nowanker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gage
True... Synchro damage also.
Old 08-21-2023, 05:57 PM
Gage
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944M3
So I’m probably missing something.
Correct. I believe you have confused the pilot bearing with the clutch release (throw out) bearing.

Quick Reply: Need some clutch wisdom - suddenly won't go into gear