Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turn signal relay

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 03:03 PM
RC944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Turn signal relay

I replaced the turn signal bulbs in my 86 944 Turbo with LEDs. Then the turn signal wouldn't work due to the LED bulbs drawing less voltage. I ordered a low-voltage relay that allows adjusting the rate of flashing. The turn signals now work, but only if my running lights are off. I want to drive with my running lights & fog lights on for safety, but I need the turn signal to function properly as well. The label on the relay reads: E1- (lower left), +1B (lower right) and L (top center). Thanks for any help!
Old 04-20-2024, 12:10 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

There is probably a solution for your particular setup, would likely require trial-and-error with various flasher relays until you find something that works. If you like tinkering with electronics, then carry on.

If not, I would implore you to reinstall high-quality nickel-base incandescent bulbs and spare the effort. A 944 with good wiring/bulb contacts and with reflectors in good shape has turn signals that are quite visible in all weather and lighting conditions. Both my 951 and 944S2 have great lighting (H4 headlights and relays are highly recommended, though you can go LED headlights without relays if you want).

I went through the same journey with my 1973 BMW 2002tii, which has never been known for bright or visible bulbs, and the original reflectors deteriorate badly. I used Nashua foil tape to restore the taillight reflectors and eventually found a particular NAPA EL-13 electronic flasher relay, which is the only type that allows the turn signals to function properly with LED bulbs in this particular car. Maybe try that one?
Old 04-20-2024, 12:16 PM
RC944
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for your insight. It's easy to put the standard bulbs back in. I appreciate your responding.

Quick Reply: Turn signal relay