Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Bay Area PPI

Old 10-13-2004, 12:41 AM
allstar_02
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bay Area PPI

I live in San Jose CA and was wondering where a good place to get a 944/951 checked out. (A PPI). What does PPI stand for? What are the usual prices to get a car inspected?
Old 10-13-2004, 01:04 AM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pre Purchase Inspection. 80 to 120 with a leakdown test is a decent rate. Don't bother with a shop that won't or can't do a leakdown.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:15 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in the Bay Area as well. For PPI, it stands for pre-purchased inspection (or something very close to that ).

Depends on where you go (Porsche dealer, independent Porsche shop, gas station, etc.), I would say the price would be somewhere between the $100-$200 range. I had my 1991 964 PPI done in Rector Motors Porsche, Burlingame, couple years ago, and they charged me $180.

If you are trying to purchase a car from a seller, I might suggest to have the PPI done in a Porsche dealer (e.g. Anderson-Behel-Stevens Creek Porsche, Claridges Porsche in Fremont). It is because there will be less argument for the seller to argue with, if there are any "previously-unknown" problems found in the car during the PPI.

However, I also use an independent Porsche shop (www.heyerperformance.com) in Mountain View. It is a reputable shop for local Porsche owners. They can also do an excellent job for the PPI.

With best regards,
- Alex.
Old 10-13-2004, 01:30 AM
allstar_02
Intermediate

Somebody else recommend HEYER PERFORMANCE. I went to their site and it says that a full service cost $585 for a 951. Is that the same as a PPI? If not what is their PPI price, if you know.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:09 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

I like Precision motor works in Santa Clara
Helmut is the guys name. He is very fair in price and seems pretty comptent.
Good luck
regards
Ed

ps no affiliation
Old 10-13-2004, 03:29 AM
oi-punx
Racer

I'll second Helmet Bezak at Precision Motorworks. He has done some good work on my 951 and his prices, like Eddie said are very competitive. In all fairness he has made a few (easily avoidable) mistakes while working on my car but he was professional about making things right. You can PM me if you want the details.

On another note if you want to spend more money you may wish to take the car to David Moddermann at Moddermann in Mountain View. He found several things wrong with my '84 944 (most were very obvious) and I ended up dropping my asking price by several hundred dollars as a result. The buyer wanted to take it there as they race 944's and know them inside and out.

Are you looking at the white '87 car in San Jose that was on Craigslist for $4k? You'll have to come to one of our meets if you end up buying it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bay Area PPI