Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

need help deciding on turbo: doesn't have to fit stock manifold. quick spool desired

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2004, 11:43 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the intercooler i have some exotic plans for. what i'd like to do is rear mount the radiator and put a large front mount intercooler in place of the stock radiator. i figure i could use a lower right endtank for air coming in from the turbo (because it would be in the right place), and an upper left endtank for a straight run into the throttle body. i would use the stock s2 air filter location (where the 951 intercooler is) because that would provide cooler air and not having the filter under the hood would free up space. i'd put the afm between the intercooler's output and the throttle body, as there should be space there

i know it's kind of a crazy plan, but i enjoy that sort of development work. i don't know if it's even possible, but it seems like it would be with some planning. the turbo is the biggest thing i'm not sure of, and from what you guys are saying it sounds like a real challenge, if not impossible
Old 12-09-2004, 01:36 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It will certainly be a challenge; it'll quickly end up being one of those "five-year" projects (like mine is, and I have the luxury of a pre-manufactured set of components!) There's a lot of "other stuff" to consider like what c/r you want to run, intake system capacity and flow rates, exhaust system, oil cooling, blah blah blah. . . I'm also doing a lot of aesthetic improvements on the car; it's going to be sort of a "show car" with occasional track use / street use so I'm redoing all the body, paint, new wheels, etc. To FULLY complete the project the way I want to is going to take at least three or four years and close to $12,000 based on my current estimates. That's why I say "take your time". You'll end up with something truly unique and special and you'll want it to be perfect. Perfectionism is a blessing and a curse on projects like this. It forces you to answer to your ideals and make something really nice, but it takes forever (both in terms of time and money) to get there!

You should talk with Danno and John.. (Callaway 928), they've both been interesting resources to me.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:47 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here's the GTR's setup:

Old 12-09-2004, 01:52 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

#1 - All of the cars you are viewing are tube frame up front except for Bob Howards car and he has no headlights. If the car has headlights you will not be able to fit this in (check your S2 engine sale thread) for what you will need to dump)

#2 - why even bother. For 300HP there are better, cheaper solutions. If you are going to that amount of work your goal should be much higher.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:10 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ohh don't get me wrong I'm in no way saying this is the route to go..just posting a pic of an exhaust side turbo setup. I still don't understand why, if your looking for 300 lowend horsepower, you don't just run an SC?

All that fab work and wanting to run standalone is insane expensive for a 300 hp goal.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:11 PM
Matt H
Race Director

His motor is toast so he is doing a Turbo motor swap. It was in another thread.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:13 PM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ahh thx
Old 12-09-2004, 02:59 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

the fab work will be enjoyable for me and i don't really see it becoming very expensive. i don't even really see the whole project becoming too expensive so i figured i'd give it a shot. if i do the numbers and it doesn't seem worth it, then i'll reconsider. right now i haven't had the time to start the analytical work, just generating ideas. i like to come up with slightly crazy ideas and then see if they'll work. school semester's almost over so i'll have more time to put in soon and i'll be able to see if what i want is practical or not
Old 12-09-2004, 03:14 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dualblade
the fab work will be enjoyable for me and i don't really see it becoming very expensive. i don't even really see the whole project becoming too expensive so i figured i'd give it a shot. if i do the numbers and it doesn't seem worth it, then i'll reconsider. right now i haven't had the time to start the analytical work, just generating ideas. i like to come up with slightly crazy ideas and then see if they'll work. school semester's almost over so i'll have more time to put in soon and i'll be able to see if what i want is practical or not
If you do come up with a working right side turbo mounting system, there might be a couple of people interested in obtaining your plans.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:36 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It's already being worked on. . . But you didn't hear that from me. . .

Old 12-09-2004, 03:56 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why not use a 951 intercooler?

Since youre eventually going to a standalone, you can get rid of the cap and rotor so that saves some space, and since you have no power steering all that junk is out of the way, so as long as you can figure something out to make sure the waterpump -> rad hose and boost pipe dont interfere, I think a 951 I/C could be very workable. Also I think the rear mount rad would be a very very bad idea... Not enough airflow back there to be totally effective, and adds the to NIGHTMARE cooling system. Plus more losses due to pumping it around, more weight for prolly double the amount of coolant, then the weak spots of the hoses running back there... And bleeding it. MR2s are a bitch to bleed, and they use a similar setup, front mount rad, mid mount engine. Im sure if it was possible the designers would have used a rear mount rad of some sort. Those cars have a small engine, and need 12+ liters of coolant. A stock 951 needs 7-8 liters. And our cars are LONGER than an MR2, with a bigger engine.
Old 12-09-2004, 04:26 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

i'd actually like to talk to one of the tuners about the rear mount as i know they attempted it (lindsey i think). i'd like to hear how it worked out and if it didn't, why not? also, are fans able to provide enough air flow, or do you need the combination of incoming air and fans? i have some ideas of how i could do the rear radiator with ducting to help improve airflow but i'm just curious how much air is necessary
Old 12-09-2004, 04:39 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dualblade
i'd actually like to talk to one of the tuners about the rear mount as i know they attempted it (lindsey i think). i'd like to hear how it worked out and if it didn't, why not? also, are fans able to provide enough air flow, or do you need the combination of incoming air and fans? i have some ideas of how i could do the rear radiator with ducting to help improve airflow but i'm just curious how much air is necessary
Well you need airflow, running fans all the time simply loads the electrical system. And its not like these cars have ride height to their advantage, so ducting would be tricky.

And where would you mount it and how would you provide full airflow behind it?
Old 12-09-2004, 04:46 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

i would cut out the spare tire well in the trunk, replace it with a flat metal plate to seal off the trunk, and mount the radiator horizontally to the bottom of that. i'd have low profile fans on the bottom of the radiator sucking the hot air down, and some mini-ducting behind the tranny to get air up to the radiator. i'd space the radiator a few inches off the metal plate to allow for air flow. since it'd be at the back of the car, the air would have nowhere to go but through the radiator, with the assistance of the fans. that was my idea at least...

Quick Reply: need help deciding on turbo: doesn't have to fit stock manifold. quick spool desired