Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

need help deciding on turbo: doesn't have to fit stock manifold. quick spool desired

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 11:11 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help deciding on turbo: doesn't have to fit stock manifold. quick spool desired

so i will likely be building my own manifold for my turbo project. i'll be using a stock engine, but i'm looking to keep the turbo on the exhaust side so i'll be custom fabbing a manifold. because of this, i can flange it however i want. since i don't have to stick to the usual replacements for our cars, is there a recommended one for good midrange/reasonably quick spool? this is at least starting out as a street car so i don't want to be off boost till 4000rpm. the goal is a balanced machine that's quick. i'm not looking for insane hp numbers because then things just start to break. i don't really have a specific number i'm looking for, maybe something around 300hp with the proper supporting mods? once i get things running i will move to standalone engine management down the road. however transplanting a turbo engine into my cab is enough for now. i'd like to get things running first and then do ecu. i figure, only try one major change at a time so it makes troubleshooting easier.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:18 PM
TRACKIN951
Burning Brakes

why not just start off with a clean 951! You will have acheived your goal of 300hp with a simple set of chips. Much easier and Im guessing more reliable for sure.
If you do the project that would be pretty cool to see a 944 with the turbo on the exhaust side though!
just my 2 cents
Old 12-08-2004, 11:28 PM
jimbo1111
Banned

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I think he wants to turbo the s2.
Old 12-08-2004, 11:30 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Andrew, Installing the turbo in the right side of the engine will be interesting, it will take lots of work en fabrication to make it work (if at all possible) on a street car.

Having the turbo in the stock location is not bad. The LR 2-piece crossover pipe makes removing the turbo a snap. Using a intake manifold to clear the turbo makes the turbo removal even simpler...

There are many turbos that spoolup quickly and make way over 300+hp..
Old 12-08-2004, 11:38 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast951
Andrew, Installing the turbo in the right side of the engine will be interesting, it will take lots of work en fabrication to make it work (if at all possible) on a street car.

Having the turbo in the stock location is not bad. The LR 2-piece crossover pipe makes removing the turbo a snap. Using a intake manifold to clear the turbo makes the turbo removal even simpler...

There are many turbos that spoolup quickly and make way over 300+hp..
as far as fabrication, i have not done the measurements yet so i don't know if it's possible. i was planning to put it around where the power steeing pump is. that'll be gone for the manual steering conversion so i was thinking a turbo could fit in the front corner area of the engine bay. i'd just make the exhaust manifold so that it curves towards the front of the car instead of the back. like i said, i haven't measured yet so is it guarenteed that won't work?
Old 12-08-2004, 11:41 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by dualblade
as far as fabrication, i have not done the measurements yet so i don't know if it's possible. i was planning to put it around where the power steeing pump is. that'll be gone for the manual steering conversion so i was thinking a turbo could fit in the front corner area of the engine bay
You generally want the turbo high enough to allow gravity to drain the oil back to the motor. Otherwise you need some kind of pump. Check out Maximum Boost by Corky Bell. Just about anything can be done with enough money. See this:

http://members.rennlist.com/tholyoak/callaway3.html
Old 12-08-2004, 11:46 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

how much height do you need? i was figuring to tap the oil pan on the passenger side for a short return line. i'd then just plug the other side that's used for the return in the stock setup. i actually do have maximum boost and i will be going through it thoroughly before i modify anything. where is the feed for the turbo on the stock setup?
Old 12-09-2004, 12:24 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm not sure you have enough room to put the turbo in place of the PS pump. You still have the problem with the exhaust out of the turbo.. Installing the turbo low forces you to use a oil catch/accumulator tank then use an oil pump to drain the tank into the crankcase (a la 930). You can install the turbo in place of the right headlight bucket, but this is not possible on a street car. A race car with no lights, solid engine mounts.. might work..

On the 951 the oil feed is on the camshaft cover..
Old 12-09-2004, 01:09 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by fast951

On the 951 the oil feed is on the camshaft cover..
That must be on the rare East German 951....
Old 12-09-2004, 02:02 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Good catch Tom and the ROW have the oil feed on the balance shaft cover ... Long day!
Old 12-09-2004, 02:50 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Excellence #118 Apr 2003 has an article on a 951 w/ the turbo on the exhaust side. Car was running a destroked 3.0ltr-->2.6, setup looked tight but it certainly cutdown on the length of plumbing required. I'm sure someone on here has pics of that car (IIRC called the "rainbow coast" car). The factory 944 turbo GTR also had it's turbo on the exhaust side...I have some pics at home of it I'll upload later. Granted both are full out race cars.

Cant really see the setup on this GTR but it's the only one I can find surfing now. I have pics of the turbo setup at home w/ the cars fenders off...I'll opst them later. PS the intake on this one is also different.

http://www.flat-6.net/forum/f6_attac...77&twidth=1024

Last edited by cheetah chrome; 12-09-2004 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-09-2004, 02:52 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The Calloway turbo is on the right isnt it?
Old 12-09-2004, 03:31 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey I think this is the exact car that Cheetah Chrome is referring to. Exhaust side turbo....very sweet. Notice the intake filter infront of the intercooler!

http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...TCARSBOBHOWARD
Old 12-09-2004, 03:47 AM
cheetah chrome
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thats the one. Very nice set up..but trying to do that on a street car w/ the goal of 300hp is a huge overkill.
Why not just supercharge the S2 motor...there's 300 lowend horsepower right there.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes the Callaway turbo goes on the right. It incorporates a custom exhaust manifold where the turbo (IHI-6) hangs off the bottom of the manifold with the wastegate on top; this is immediately downstream of where the #4 cylinder dumps into the common manifold pipe. I'm currently working on a web site that shows the manifold and all the other Callaway parts but for now here's a picture I took right after my Callaway kit showed up (that's why it's so dirty looking) :P

You can see how the wastegate goes on top with the turbo below. In the upper right you see the IHI-6 turbo with the initial portion of the exhaust system coming straight back off it. A setup like this certainly is adaptable to your car; the obvious issues would be oil feed (the IHI-6 derives its supply from the sending unit with a return in the oil pan - a bung would have to be added to yours), controlling and fuel metering. The Callaway kit uses an intake plenum (you can see it immediately behind the section of exhaust pipe) with two additional injector ports in it - this allows much more fuel to be added than would ordinarily be possible, all using stock n/a injectors! In my setup I'll likely run 75# injectors which means I will get the extra two ports in the plenum for other things (maybe H2O injection and nitrous)

Anyway, there are a lot of possibilities. The other thing you need to consider is how to duct the intercooler. Callway's conversion came with an intercooler (not shown in that pic) that hung kind of up and in front of the condenser on the early n/a cars so it got maximum airflow from the bottom duct in the valence. If you're really interested in doing this kind of setup, let me know; I have a lot of measurements and other information on the Callaway kit and have been talking about it with a couple of others in terms of adapting the same kind of idea to other cars. . . Best of luck whatever you decide. It's going to be a LOT of work, but it'll be worth it if you take the time, go slowly, don't skimp or cut corners, and think everything through.

BTW the Callaway setup spools VERY fast due to the turbo location - and no %*$^*#$^!!! crossover pipe to worry about.

Quick Reply: need help deciding on turbo: doesn't have to fit stock manifold. quick spool desired