Old 01-19-2005, 02:18 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default New Sleeves (MID) are finaly here

Hi Folks, after lots of waiting the first set of Darton MID sleeves are finally in my hands…
I like ‘em!
Here are some pictures I just shot, I will be installing them as soon as I get a chance.
These are the 2.5 liter versions (max 104mm)
The 3.0 versions will have a max of 106mm – I should have a set of those later this week.
Be forewarned – it takes awhile to get these, if anybody is interested let me know as it will take a while to get more.

Chris White
Attached Images    
Old 01-19-2005, 02:28 PM
9five1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh wow those are purdy....... Contact info / website?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:30 PM
J Chen
Drifting

Hi Chris,
Can the 3L sleeves be fitted to the 2.5 block
with reliabilty ?
Old 01-19-2005, 02:36 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was thinking they would be locked together at the top, looks like a better way than my dry sleeves.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:42 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

You can look at Darton’s website but you won’t find any info on these. The sleeves in the pictures are the first set to be released after testing was finished. I worked with the Darton guys on this (supplied them a block and general requirements) so I was first on the list!
When I get a chance I will update my website (I am ashamed to say it has been almost 3 years…).
I will be offering sleeve blocks with JE pistons as a kit (bores finished to the pistons ready for installation)
The 3.0 sleeves will not fit the 2.5 block – the height of the webbing is quite a bit different. We tried to get the 2.5 sleeves to take a 106mm but it would start compromising the strength of the block. In theory you could take the 3.0 sleeves out to 108mm but it is not recommended.
Hopefully this will also take care of the head gasket problems – the large top flange is machined to fit the block creating a solid top deck. Should be much stronger than stock free standing set up.

If any body wants any other details – drop me a line @ whitechristopher@earthlink.net

Chris White
Old 01-19-2005, 02:49 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
– the large top flange is machined to fit the block creating a solid top deck. Should be much stronger than stock free standing set up.

Chris White
Answers my question, very very nice !!!!
Old 01-19-2005, 03:29 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job Chris. A product for all of us that plan to keep our cars long term, will eventually need.
Old 01-19-2005, 03:47 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

David – I just read what I posted and it didn’t come out quite right!
The block is machined to fit the sleeve flanges (not the other way around).
One plus of this method is that a single replacement sleeve can be obtained and pressed into place to replace a damaged sleeve with out any extra machining. This is a good deal for race engines since the investment in machining the block does not have to be repeated.

Chris White
Old 01-19-2005, 03:58 PM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

Beautiful!
It's a shame to hide them inside the block!
Bengt
Old 01-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

Hi Chris,

Excuse my ignorance but what does MID stand for?
Old 01-19-2005, 04:14 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And then you can save the bad ones, weld a bottom on it, glue a handle on it, boom race grade coffee cup!

Whats the pricetag on a set of those?
Old 01-19-2005, 04:57 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

MID – Modular Integrated Deck
A fancy Acronym to describe the fact that the sleeves are for each cylinder (Modular) but when installed together they will create an interlocking nearly solid deck.

Too big for a coffee cup….but a beer bottle will fit inside with some room to spare for the ice!!

The price for the whole package – sleeves installed with a plateau hone, JE pistons, Total Seal rings – will be between $2,800 and $3,000. I will see how long the machining process takes. I can also assemble the whole short block if anybody is interested.

Chris White
Old 01-19-2005, 05:01 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

MID – Modular Integrated Deck
A fancy Acronym to describe the fact that the sleeves are for each cylinder (Modular) but when installed together they will create an interlocking nearly solid deck.

Too big for a coffee cup….but a beer bottle will fit inside with some room to spare for the ice!!

The price for the whole package – sleeves installed with a plateau hone, JE pistons, Total Seal rings – will be between $2,800 and $3,000. I will see how long the machining process takes. I can also assemble the whole short block if anybody is interested.

Chris White
You obviously havent seen the latest Tim Hortons coffee mug But I am taking this down a different addiction path.

Is this something that only you will be offering, or is the maching something that any decent shop can do? These just went on my way long term hopes/dreams/plans list, but shipping my block down to you and back would be a kink.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:26 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Good question, To do it right you need a shop with true CNC block boring equipment, you don’t want to do this on regular boring equipment. It might not make sense (financially) to do this once since there is some programming and set up time for the CNC mill. There is a trick or two to it but if you fine a very competent machining shop they could machine the block. Then you need to make sure they have a torque plate so that the bore/hone of the cylinders is done correctly (you have to make your own – none are available commercially).
Shipping a bare block is not that expensive, typically about $100 or less.

So the answer is yeas….sort of…maybe…..

Chris

PS - I am only an hour and a half from Canada....does that help?!?
Old 01-19-2005, 05:34 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good question, To do it right you need a shop with true CNC block boring equipment, you don’t want to do this on regular boring equipment. It might not make sense (financially) to do this once since there is some programming and set up time for the CNC mill. There is a trick or two to it but if you fine a very competent machining shop they could machine the block. Then you need to make sure they have a torque plate so that the bore/hone of the cylinders is done correctly (you have to make your own – none are available commercially).
Shipping a bare block is not that expensive, typically about $100 or less.

So the answer is yeas….sort of…maybe…..

Chris

PS - I am only an hour and a half from Canada....does that help?!?
An hour and a half from the wrong end of Canada relative to me

I think that answers my main question there. I know theres a great headwork guy in Vancouver, but I dont know if he does blocks. Anything of this caliber is HOPEFULLY a good ways down the road for me, im hoping my block isnt planning to blow up or anything like that soon <Knock on wood>

Quick Reply: New Sleeves (MID) are finaly here