Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 12:24 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rims Rims Rims...

Hey all,

Every one likes to buy new rims and tires to make there car look nice, of corse at the same time trying to get the lightest rim possable. I have been looking at rims for my 86' :\ 944 turbo and of corse the offsets of the 86' just had to be different from the other years. I have been eyeing the C2 Turbo wheels on Wheelenhancement.com which go for 960$ plus shipping. Now that is alot of money for a factory porsche wheel let alone any wheel(i don't know how much they weigh but i belive it is under 20 pounds). NOW on tirerack.com they have the mille miglia cup wheels which are basicly replicas of the C2 turbo wheel. I have HEARD that the mille miglia wheels are heavy (any one have the weight of the wheel 17X 7.5 and 17X 9) but they only go for 820$. Money is a issue cause im broke. Literaly..

My question is would it REALLY be worth it to get the lighter wheel for more money or go with the heavier but cheaper wheel. Please don't tell me to go buy BBS's or some thing cause im not payings 1500$+ for rims.

Any comments welcome though,
Ian...
Old 01-22-2005, 12:44 AM
Adam H
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's worth it, especially for only $140 or so. When you're spending that much, don't cheap out.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:10 AM
icat
Race Car

You can get a set of 993 Cups for well under $1000. I paid $800 for mine. The extra cost is of course in the studs and spacers required to run the late offset wheels. BTW, the C2's are very heavy wheels. Weights can be found here...
www.wheelweights.net
Old 01-22-2005, 01:35 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

see there are a lot of different rims but the spaces/adapters for the 86' hub to a late offset hub was about 400$ (wheelendhancement) thats alot of money for spacers. I didn't realize the c2 wheel is heavy. I do like the 993 cup wheel but I deffenitily like the squared look of the C2 turbo wheel a lot more. Maby there is a lighter vershion of the C2 turbo look wheel??
Old 01-22-2005, 01:43 AM
BoostGuy951
Three Wheelin'

BTW, Porsches don't have rims, they have wheels. Hondas have rims.
Old 01-22-2005, 05:36 AM
FAST44
Advanced

Check out EBAY.. Some good deals to be had. The knock off's have wider front wheels. The take off Porsche wheels are usually 7" in the front. Usually the knock offs are boat anchors. Some of the after market wheels are over 25 lbs. for the 17's.
Old 01-22-2005, 09:39 AM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostGuy951
BTW, Porsches don't have rims, they have wheels. Hondas have rims.
Actually all wheels have rims...and centers.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:37 AM
tconn
Three Wheelin'

Stock Porsche wheel are going to be lighter and much stronger than aftermarket wheels, unless you go with the high dollar forged wheels.
I've looked into replacing my clubsports but have realized that to get wheels as light or strong I'd have to spend $4k to upgrade.

If your that broke why not take your stock wheels and have them refinished
(polished,chromed,anodized,painted) and buy a good set of tires.
You would come out way ahead money wise and have better wheels
than if you went with mille miglas.
Just my opinion.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:53 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Money is a issue cause im broke. Literaly..
Then why buy wheels? If you are broke why spend your money on a set of wheels?

My question is would it REALLY be worth it to get the lighter wheel for more money or go with the heavier but cheaper wheel. Please don't tell me to go buy BBS's or some thing cause im not payings 1500$+ for rims.
If the difference is 140 bucks why cheap out? However, I have said numerous times that on the street you will never know the difference and it is as true now as it was the first time I said it.

Futher, really light weight wheels have a tendancy to crack and bend under the pressure of every day pot hole driving.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:49 PM
ztnedman1
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Its not worth it. Why buy cheap replacement wheels for good Porsche wheels. Plus the prices you have dont include shipping, installation, etc... to get them on your car with new tires plan on doubling that price.
Before you buy anthing, first make sure you are not BROKE, and second i make sure i have about double the money the item costs just so i know i can cover any unplanned costs.
Spending more than a grand on you first mod for your car is rediculous. Spend the money to get it running first WAY before you spend money on looks.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:11 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

I was probley going to get the factory C2 wheel cause I knew it was lighter and i guess 140$ really ins't that much... My stock wheels are in very good condition with no curb rash or any thing. I wanted to keep those as winter wheels though. Thanks for the input guys.

-Ian
Old 01-22-2005, 02:44 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've got Mille Miglia Cup1 replicas with excellent tires for sale in Hartford - you'd save shipping and tire cost. They're replicas, so heavier, late offset, so you'd need spacers, and in merely ok condition, but you won't get anything better for the price.

Sam
Old 01-22-2005, 03:00 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are broke.... $20 in Dupli-Color wheel paint from your local auto parts store and little elbow grease, makes a nice improvement.
Old 01-22-2005, 03:08 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

I changed out my 17" Mille Maglia 993 Cups on the 951 about a 2 months ago for 17" CCW wheels. The benefits from reduction of unsprung weight can not be overemphasized. The improvement in turn-in, rebound, and overall ride quality is dramatic even going to a much larger set of tires. Personally I would hold out for a good set of used OEM wheels or spend the extra money on lighter after-market wheels if I was in your shoes. The resale on a good set of light wheels will remain high where the aftermarket heavy wheels suffer a loss right out of the box. Example: My MM set recently sold with good tires for $600; the PO had nearly $2200 invested in them just 18 months ago.

New wheels
Old 01-22-2005, 04:30 PM
VA951
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Sam Lin, a couple of questions. Is Hartford the Ct one? Are the cup1s 17x7.5 and 9 and what ballpark price are you looking at? And define OK.
Thanks
Bob

Quick Reply: Rims Rims Rims...