Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Anyway to seal a leaking Turbo Coolant pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 12:51 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've replaced mine as well. It had burnt out, and took out the fuse and relay with it (trifecta!). Fortunately, I found a replacement relay at Hershey for $5. My $0.02 would be that this thing is likely to go south on you any time now, even if you could fix the leak, which has not been accomplished by anyone I know. Mine runs more than once after the car shuts off, sometimes even after 20+ minutes, so I tend to think that it's worthwhile to have and that you may as well just replace it.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:58 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Hylomer, made by Permatex fixed the same problem when the turbo waterpump O'ring seal dried up from inactivity. Its available over the counter at all auto stores.
Good luck.
Raj
Old 02-12-2005, 03:08 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
I opened mine up where the two plastic housings mate together and found a rubber gasket that dropped right out. Wouldn't replacing the gasket suffice?

Mine was working just fine with only 65K miles on it, but it was leaking from where this gasket should seal the plastic housings.

From the way it's designed, I believe the coolant only circulates inside these housings, and not upwards past the impeller and electric motor.
I was lazy and didnt want to bother trying to source that And I had loads of Ultra Grey around. Held up fine that I can see for 6k miles so far.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:33 AM
FAST44
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like its's gone. I believe the best price is at Vertex Auto. It was when I had to replace mine. Seems like I paid around $135... Good luck.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:16 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Ian's Euro Auto, a Rennlist sponsor. I think that I paid less than that but can't remember for sure.

Quick Reply: Anyway to seal a leaking Turbo Coolant pump?