Engine Oil Flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 12:07 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine Oil Flush

Is it a good idea to add some "oil flush" chemical/cleaner to the engine before replacing the oil?

I aim to get rid of any gunk(sp?) that is in there (oil is old, just noticed that today) or is this a bad idea on turbocharged cars?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:19 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always added a litre of ATF to the oil in my NA before an oil change. I'd usually take it out for a spin to the nearest 7-11, get a slurpree, return and change the oil with a nice cold slurpee.

When I first got it, I drove around with a litre of ATF in the oil for 3000km's, every time it got a bit low, I topped it up with ATF, it really quieted down the lifters.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:20 AM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

er, the ATF is something i like to stay away from. Though i know people who did use it.........just sounds weird to me (don't ask).
Old 03-31-2005, 02:08 AM
Mikeaagesen
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do you drain a little bit of oil out so you dont overfill? Then add automatic trans fluid? This is suppose to help quiet the valvetrain? Sorry, I have never heard of that before. I wouldn't mind trying it I guess.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:22 AM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Just put the cleaner in its not going to hurt any thing! just put it in, start the motor and run it for like 4-5 minutes... turn off the motor and drain the oil.... just like any other car!

I doubt it will harm the turbo unless it says on the can, WILL HARM TURBO, or DO NOT USE ON TURBO MOTORS.

-Ian
Old 03-31-2005, 04:01 AM
DDP
Rocket Scientist
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ATF fluid...mmmm, so if I filled up a car that has a spun rod bearing with ATF fluid that would cover up the sound? I wonder if someone has done this and sold a car with a spun rod bearing, ugh, that would suck.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:13 AM
jns
Racer

I was going to use some engine flush that was a 5 minute flush type but saw a label on it in small print that did indeed say to not use in turbocharged cars. I think those types are made of kerosene and/or diesel fuel. If I did use it, I would want to change the oil a couple times afterward to make sure all of it was out of there.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:22 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The ATF will help clean crud out of the lifters, oil passages, etc. I don't drain a litre of oil before, however mine usually leaked about 1/2 of a litre by oil change time, so it wasn't much over-full once it was added. It worked great on mine, but now a lot of people are arguing that it swells the seals. I never experienced this, but I only did it about 5 or 6 times.

ATF would probably make rod knock more noticeable, as it thins the oil a bit, as well as adding a lot of detergents to it.

A lot of engine flushes are pretty much just kerosene, have to be careful.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:31 PM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hosrum ... get a can of engine flush ... usually in the 1 liter size. Jack up the car and remove about a liter of oil and replace the drain plug. Add the can to the engine and start it up. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES put the car in gear and drive it!!! This will kill the motor quicker!

Run it for about 20 to 30 minutes and turn off the engine. Remove drain plug .... BE VERY CAREFULL >>>IT'S HOT and drain the oil/sludge. Leave the drain plug off and pour in a few liters of new oil and let it all drain out!

Replace the drainplug and continue with the oil filter and refill the motor.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Jaak Lepson; 03-31-2005 at 07:29 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:52 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Jaak: Thanks, i used engine flush on my other cars and on my 88 NA without problems. The issue of a turbocharger was just "floating" around in my head
Old 03-31-2005, 01:58 PM
FAST44
Advanced

Just a side note- I have had the proffesonal? engine oil flush done at a quick lube place which has a filter on the machine to collect the junk in the crankcase, they cycle it through the engine via the oil filter connection. This was done to a non P car. I have had my car since almost new so I have never done it. If you have run synthetic for a while it should not be a problem. If you leave your dino oil in for longer than 5000 mi it might be a problem... I don't think any of us leaves thre iol in there cars for long.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:40 PM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Originally Posted by Jaak Lepson
Hosrum ... get a can of engine flush ... usually in the 1 liter size. Jack up the car and remove about a liter of oil and replace the drain plug. Add the can to the engine and start it up. Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES put the car in gear and drive it!!! This will kill the motor quicker!

Run it for about 20 to 30 minutes and turn off the engine. Remove drain plug .... BE VERY CAREFULL >>>IT'S HOT and drain the oil/sludge. Leave the drain plug off and pour in a few liters of new oil and let it all drain out!

Replave the drainplug and continue with the oil fliler and refill the motor.

Hope this helps!
You think running an engine stationary for 30mins is good advice???

Yes if you want to knacker it..

1. Buy an engine flush
2. Read the instructions on the back of the tin
3. Follow the instructions on back of tin
4. Remember asking for advice on rennlist is going to get 20 different opinions.
5. 19 of them will be bollox.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:39 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Fast44: Come to think of it, yes we do have "quick lube" places that have external machine that "clean" the engine. Maybe i shoudl talk to them and see what they have to say?

slim_boy_fat: Like i said, i used the engine flush thing a while back, on the NA. No problems, but i read the instructions VERY carefully and it did mentione adding the stuff to the engine, allow the engine to idle for 5 mins and a big DO NOT REV THE ENGINE NOR DRIVE DURING THE TIME THE CLEANER IS IN THE ENGINE warning LOL.

I know a few audi owners here who used that "flush" and drove the car, damaged the engine and got used blockes for a "repair"

I am just asking about this since there is more "plumging" and "draining" for the turbocharger, opposed to NA cars.
Old 03-31-2005, 04:39 PM
slim_boy_fat
Racer

Originally Posted by hosrom_951
slim_boy_fat: Like i said, i used the engine flush thing a while back, on the NA. No problems, but i read the instructions VERY carefully and it did mentione adding the stuff to the engine, allow the engine to idle for 5 mins and a big DO NOT REV THE ENGINE NOR DRIVE DURING THE TIME THE CLEANER IS IN THE ENGINE warning LOL.
5 mins NOT 30 mins bit of a difference there.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:11 PM
hosrom_951
UAE Rennlist Ambassador
Rennlist Member

Slim: Yes, i recall leaving the stuff in the engine for 5 mins in the NA.

One question though, when the oil cooler seals fail and you get the oil + water mix in the system. Don't you flush the coolant AND the engine oil?? isn't one of these "engine flush" products used as well?

Quick Reply: Engine Oil Flush