Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

A 951 is a Handymans dream car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 10:38 PM
Porsche951redt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A 951 is a Handymans dream car!

Well it took me a while but it just hit me. This car is perfect for people who love fixing small little things and just plain old tinkering. I love doing that too so hey guess i found the right car! The problem is i like fixing small things on occasion... NOT EVERYDAY. It just seems there is something new wrong every day, but hey it comes with the territory i presume.

Anyway here is my current worry. My power roof will not close. I checked the relays they are in perfect condition. When i press the open button it unlocks perfectly. However, as soon as i try and close it i can hear this gigantic clicking noise coming from the motor. It kind of sounds like when you put a playing card in the spokes of a bicycle. It seems that it can only open the hinges but not push them back into place. Can it be that the gears in the motor can only run one way? Or is it an electrical problem. I researched on the forum and found something called micro switches. I have no clue where they are located or what they do. Could they be the culprit?

So to sum it all up:
*My poweroof can open but not close, why?
*The clicking noise what does that indicate?
*If the relays are fine could the micro switches be the problem?
*If so what are micro switches and what do they do/look like?

Thanks, and back i go to find more things to fix
Old 06-13-2005, 10:44 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 951 has to be worked on once a week.

Also the sun roof used plastic gears and after 18 years they are probably broken up. I just ordered two new ones from paragon.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:46 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts

Do a manual conversion, don't give in to the Dark Side of constant sunroof issues...now about those other little nagging fix-its, get used to them, they won't go away.
Old 06-13-2005, 10:48 PM
Ian Carr
That Guy
Rennlist Member

Yeah after replacing 99% of the engine stuff, interior stuff is now breaking...!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:20 PM
Porsche951redt
Racer

Originally Posted by KuHL 951
Do a manual conversion, don't give in to the Dark Side of constant sunroof issues...now about those other little nagging fix-its, get used to them, they won't go away.

How do i do a manual convertion? Oh and btw i just went to pick up my gf tried the power roof for ****s and giggles and now i dont even have that clicking noise when trying to close it. But open it? It will open any day!!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:40 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche951redt
How do i do a manual convertion? Oh and btw i just went to pick up my gf tried the power roof for ****s and giggles and now i dont even have that clicking noise when trying to close it. But open it? It will open any day!!
The manual sunroof conversion is real simple(30 minutes), disconnect the lifting arm cables at the rear of the SR area, remove 4 screws, use the manual latches from a 924/early 944, reinstall the same 4 screws with the new latch. Now all you do is twist the latch 90 deg. stand them up and prop them into the groove in the roof and it stays put in the tilt position. Unlatch the front catches(they stay the same) and remove it for open air. I have one more set of manual latches, if you get frustrated PM me.

Steve
This what it looks like in the tilt position and closed from inside..

Old 06-14-2005, 12:37 AM
M Danger
Three Wheelin'

actually if you have any early set up 86 and before, chances are its just a slipping clutch and all you have to do it tighten the nut! just look at the motor and see the big nut that turns.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:42 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

someone should make aluminum sunroof gears....i'de buy that. even though Im going to manual.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:13 AM
Porsche951redt
Racer

I have an 89 951 is there anything different i have to do then what you just mentioned? And worst case scenario, if my gears inside the motor are busted how much is it to replace them? BTW thanks alot for the info khul!
Old 06-14-2005, 11:29 AM
R.B.
Instructor

Slightly off topic. It was nice to see your car up and running on Columbia St. yesterday at lunch. I was in the Black 951.

R.B.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Matt Sheppard
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think the gears are made of plastic for a reason - like a fuse if you encounter problems. Engineers would have it break before the clutch in the motor assembly.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:54 PM
EdC
Pro

In the 1.5 years and about 20k miles on my 1988 Turbo S I've replaced the sun roof gears and a heater clip to get the heater to stop on full heat. Oh yeah, one battery, one set of tires and brake pads and other routine maintenance. I really haven't had to "tinker" all that much for a vehicle almost 18 years old. The only remaining unsolved "tinkering" issue is a reluctant ignition lock. All in all, I had more little things go wrong with a '95 Z28, may it rest in peace. Must be I'm either lucky or my time is coming. The described manual sunroof conversion seems priceless for its simplicity. Think of the weight savings!
Ed
Old 06-14-2005, 03:05 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Campeck
someone should make aluminum sunroof gears....i'de buy that. even though Im going to manual.
Someone does sell an aluminum gear, as some one said earlier, the metal gear won't fail but instead it will tear up the clutch and stretch cables if your limit switches are not adjusted right. Such a lousy design on such a nice car...why didn't they just put the motors in the roof like everyone else's car with a sunroof that still works?
Old 06-14-2005, 05:46 PM
Porsche951redt
Racer

Originally Posted by R.B.
Slightly off topic. It was nice to see your car up and running on Columbia St. yesterday at lunch. I was in the Black 951.

R.B.

Yea that was good i sent you a PM. That is a really sleek black you have on your car, either that or a whole lot of elbow grease and wax.

Quick Reply: A 951 is a Handymans dream car!