Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rennlist not a democracy...but still for the people

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Exactly, we're not filling anything - if anything we're helping to bail water out of a leaky boat. John has said quite pointedly in the past that Rennlist does not make money and in fact costs him out-of-pocket to operate. I'm sure if someone challenged this claim, he'd prove them wrong. . . Anything involving large-bandwidth networking is expensive and one has to consider the hardware costs (servers with backup capability, routers, etc.) and services (T1s ain't cheap; IIRC he's running far more capacity than that). Plus there's all the administrative costs - trying to keep track of who's who, who's registered, responding to abuses and moderating, etc. etc. etc. It's his time AND his money.

As the saying goes, if you don't like it then go start your own board.

Personally I don't mind being restricted to an "occasional" sale if it keeps the spam and other schite outta here.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:58 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tifosiman

That is the funniest crap I have read all day. Thanks for the great entertainment.

John's not filling his coffers. If you take some time to research some of his posts on this subject, you would see it is the exact opposite. Hey, it's John's forum. We are all guests here, whether we are paying members, sponsors, or users. If you don't like his rules, leave. Why all of this discussion pertaining to changing them? Because some people got miffed at the rules? In general, the majority of Renn agrees with the rules and abides by them. If the few people that are here squacking about it don't like it, find the door, and go start your own forum and come back in a year and tell us how it is doing with no sponsors, no way to support the site, and about 20 people contributing to its content.
Who said he was...glad I amused
I have read up plenty on the Dunkle/Rennlist financials.

Like you said, and I and tons of people have said it is his party we are just here to play, but if you go to Disneyland and half the rides are closed, do you take it and like it, do you come back????
Old 07-22-2005, 02:02 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by testarossa_td
Who said he was...glad I amused
I have read up plenty on the Dunkle/Rennlist financials.
Really? It shows.

Like you said, and I and tons of people have said it is his party we are just here to play, but if you go to Disneyland and half the rides are closed, do you take it and like it, do you come back????
****-poor analogy, but I will play along.

Well, if I went to Disneyland, and there was a BIG SIGN that I HAD TO READ before I ENTERED THE PARK and got in FOR FREE (or paid), that said "Half of the rides are closed, that is the deal, if you don't like it, Midevil Times is right up the road"....................guess what? I'd make a decision and go for it. Not go into the park, then BITCH ABOUT IT LATER.

How was that?
Old 07-22-2005, 02:06 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by tifosiman
Really? It shows.

****-poor analogy, but I will play along.

Well, if I went to Disneyland, and there was a BIG SIGN that I HAD TO READ before I ENTERED THE PARK and got in FOR FREE (or paid), that said "Half of the rides are closed, that is the deal, if you don't like it, Midevil Times is right up the road"....................guess what? I'd make a decision and go for it. Not go into the park, then BITCH ABOUT IT LATER.

How was that?
**** is all I got
When you are banned for NOTHING(except helping out Rennlisters) and you go to the charter for help and find those "rules" are of no value then you see this kind of stuff happening, makes you wonder.

This thread was started to further an understanding..now it is closed

Just kidding. Thanks for your input Tifo. You are a valued member of this community.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:08 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Just kidding. Thanks for your input Tifo. You are a valued member of this community.
As are you, that is why this is remaining civil.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:27 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Well, it looks like everybody is bored with the subject which in dispute resolution means we got somewhere.

We all acknowledge that what we have to say on the subject is of little to no value because JohnD holds all the cards.

Ted was not wrong in closing the thread-he was only following orders- See the above comment.

Like it or Lump it Rennlist is what it is. Find your place in it, or replace it
Old 07-22-2005, 02:36 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh yeah, I really miss being a mod.

These type of threads get very ridiculous. I haven't read the whole thing but I've skimmed it a little and I've seen this all before.

Bottom line- John's board=John's rules. If you don't like it, click the big X in the top right corner of your browser.

If Ted (or any mod) takes an action you disagree with, PM or email him and discuss it. It's his call and in my experience John will back his mods. He picks people whose judgement he trusts and then lets them do their job. The moderators job here is not easy. I know that more than any of you. There are things that a mod will do that you don't agree with. You may win the argument, you may not. Get over it and move on.
The "free speech" and "democracy" argument is an old and tired one. This is a privately owned BBS, neither of those apply.

There's plenty of room on the 'net to start a Porsche Anarchists board.

Edited to add: John does not issue orders to any of the mods.
He NEVER told me who to ban or what thread to close. He has better things to do and if he sees a thread that should be deleted or closed, he does it himself. For the most part, he usually stays out of the mods way and lets them do their job.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I almost hate to dredge this up, but there's always:

http://www.porscheforum.com

Always good for a few laughs. Ahhh, the stroll down memory lane. . .
Old 07-22-2005, 03:29 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Gee, thanks Jeff! A few of us worked VERY hard to clean that forum up and its stayed that way for a while now. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a look at it again before using it as the poster child for all things bad about internet forums! It still gets plenty of inquiries from novice 944 owners looking to "soup up" their NA's, but all in all, its become a fairly credible site.

A note to any erstwhile troublemakers, that forum is also moderated, so behave yourself if you visit, please.

Regards,
Old 07-22-2005, 03:30 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Pete, thanks for the kind words. You, better than anyone, know how it is!

The site rules are what they are. That thread was against the site rules. While you can argue that the rules are right or wrong, you can not aruge that the thread in question was indeed against the rules. I did what I am here to do; nothing more and nothing less. . .
Old 07-22-2005, 03:45 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

I'm merely saying that there ARE other places people can go - if not start their own sites. FWIW I'm glad it's getting better if it is. . . Although for the longest time it's been kind of the laughingstock of the P-car community because of a few individuals over there. My understanding is their "for sale" items posting policy is different than here, as is Pelican's. That's all I'm trying to say.

I was "afraid to dredge it up" because of what happened over there a few months ago; I'm not in any way encouraging anyone to start a repeat. If that site actually is becoming a resource then good, I'll check it out more often. I'm personally kind of suprised they haven't been shut down by Porsche N.A. yet though. . .
Old 07-22-2005, 03:59 PM
testarossa_td
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porsche-O-Phile
I'm personally kind of suprised they haven't been shut down by Porsche N.A. yet though. . .
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
You said the name Porsche® N.A. now they are doomed
Old 07-22-2005, 04:02 PM
User 41221
Banned

lol I'm not sure I'd call it a "resource" just yet, its mostly Karl or I giving tech advice and stomping out any potential silliness before it gets started, but its not what it was like when you were there last, either.

I'm also surprised that they have dodged the bullet on legal action as well, but I have no direct knowledge of anything related to that matter, so I don't worry about it. I've just taken it upon myself to monitor it until it does get shut down, so that anyone dropping by there looking for real advice doesn't get burned by some of the "expertise" that some of the yahoo's were offering up. I also try to direct them to Rennlist as often as I can, without appearing to be a troll over there.

My comments weren't intended to flame you at all, so I hope you didn't take it that way. I probably could have said what I did differently, so my apologies for that.

Rennlist is still the best thing going, in my opinion. I don't always agree with the policy decisions being made, but its not my priviledge to do so. I have the utmost faith in John, and thats good enough for me. If I don't like whats going on with any particular site enough, I generally won't make a fuss, I just quit visiting it. And as you can tell, I'm still here.

Regards,
Old 07-22-2005, 04:06 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Man, did anyone get my "Midevil Times" reference? I must not be firing on all cylinders today .
Old 07-22-2005, 04:13 PM
User 41221
Banned

Shrek II? lol

Quick Reply: Rennlist not a democracy...but still for the people