Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

The MegaSquirt Thread (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2006, 02:58 AM
IanS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, that does look cool. How well did it work on the Audi?

Is it going to be able to handle our flywheel trigger, or are you going to add a 60-2 trigger?

It looks like someone was working on getting it to work with the 944 with the 'auditrigger' setup: http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?pa...agnusKarlstrom
Old 05-08-2006, 11:32 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts
Default It runs!

Well, tonight AlexE and I got his 944 turbo running with Megasquirt 2/EDIS 4. We had a couple wiring issues to get figured out and one nice backfire. Once everything was in place, it fired right up and idled on its own. With our shot-the-dark style tuning, the base map turned out to be enough to make it idle at 13:1 afr. Once we're able to get the EGT up and running and wideband piped in to MS2 module we'll be off to do some road tuning.

SUCCESS!

Link to Pelican Thread

Last edited by JustinL; 05-09-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-09-2006, 12:45 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congradulations!!
I have been tuning my own chips, and let me tell you, it's a pain in the ****. This could be perfect for the 944 community. Please keep us all updated on the details.

My hat goes off to you,
John
Old 05-09-2006, 01:31 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats!

Howd you mount the EDIS?
Old 05-09-2006, 01:41 AM
AlexE
Pro

Part I
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hlight=project

PartII
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=278424

PartIII
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=280745

PartIV
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showt...hreadid=281724

Here is the info on the build up.........

Will post the details on the tuning on Pelican.

Big Thanks to JustinL............ he is one sharp cookie.........
Old 05-09-2006, 01:33 PM
nize
Banned

woohoo ! *** kicking. let the exodus begin...
Old 05-10-2006, 03:20 AM
Raceboy
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by IanS
Wow, that does look cool. How well did it work on the Audi?

Is it going to be able to handle our flywheel trigger, or are you going to add a 60-2 trigger?

It looks like someone was working on getting it to work with the 944 with the 'auditrigger' setup: http://www.vems.hu/wiki/index.php?pa...agnusKarlstrom
Since my 931 don't have ANY triggers from factory, I use 2 Hall sensors and have the machinist to fabricate aluminium crank sensor wheel.
On 951, it can utilize stock sensor (you have to specify the sensor type when ordering).
We are probably going to install one on my friends 3.0 8v 951 in a week or so but we are going to use 2 Hall sensors (not the stock ones).
Old 05-11-2006, 02:41 PM
JustinL
Drifting

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexE
Big Thanks to JustinL............ he is one sharp cookie.........

Thanks, and no problem man! Will work for food

I've got my Megasquirt hooked up now too. Right now it's only datalogging, but hopefully once I hook up the last couple wires I'll be able to take it on the road and let it just control fuel.

My passenger footwell is a MESS of wires with the MS, Link AFM, DME and KLR.

Link to My MS2 thread with stock harness

Last edited by JustinL; 05-13-2006 at 02:39 AM.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:06 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Time for an update...

I did a test between two variations of the divide by three circuits that I got last night. I tested beab951's (I think I got the forum name right...) and a simple one that uses a cheap little 4017B Decade Divider. For what I need them to do with MegaSquirt, both seem to work identically and equally well, all the way up to 35,000RPM. I went with the 4017 chip, since its circuit is much simpler, it only needs a few wires.

This is the test layout. The chip on the right is the 74HCT109E chip that Beab951 suggested. The middle one is the 4017. The line in between is the output from the MS Stim.

The red signal is the input from the stim. Once the VR signal goes through the LM1815 filter chips, it looks identical to that as well, a 5 volt sqaurewave. The blue is the divided signal.

This is the results of the first image. Both are running off the same signal. I did this test to see if one was significantly faster/different than the other, but that doesnt seem to be the case.

This is a crappy picture but oh well. The green board is the MSNE Daughterboard. The two side by side ICs are the LM1815s for the VR sensors. The output of one of them goes to that brown prototyping board. The circuit closest to the camera on that board is the 4017 divider. That divides the signal, then its output goes to the MS CPU. The ouput of the other LM1815 goes straight to the MS board, since that LM1815 is for the reference sensor that triggers off the TDC stud.

For the curious, on that protoboard is also my barometric correction circuit, and a complex little bugger of a circuit that handles my table switching. Its a push on push off circuit, so that I can use a central locking switch to switch between fuel/spark/boost tables on the MS. When its activated it lights the red light inside the switch... Its the Make-Car-Go-Faster Switch

And the price of the 4017? 35 cents each. But you get a price break at 100, down to 31 cents each!!

http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...ualkey51120000

I will post the circuit diagram when I get home tonight, but I have it memorized. Pins 8, 13, and 15 are grounded. Pin 16 goes to 5 volt (can be 12 or 9 or whatever, but I hooked it to the regulated 5 volts). Pin 10 and 7 are jumpered together (this makes the 4017 count to three then repeat, since pin 7 is the 4th output). Signal in goes to pin 14. Signal out goes to pin 4. And thats all it is.

I havent run the car with it yet, but testing indicates the LM1815 and the divider all should work fine. Its the triggering and returns I have to figure out for the MS, since I have decided to go wasted spark with TEC3 coilpacks. I might still give the stock ignition system a try, maybe dyno both back to back to see if there is a difference just for ****s and giggles.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:19 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

And a few more pics...

This is the GM IAT sensor mounted in my intercooler pipe.

This is a bit of an older pic, but not much has changed.

Thats the table switching circuit I mentioned.

Testing the tach output (I dont think ive posted these yet...). Contrary to popular belief, the tach itself seems pretty accurate. Its slightly off around 3000RPM (maybe off by 1-200 RPM) but its bang on higher than that, all the way up to 7400RPM here.

GM boost control solenoid in its new home.
Old 07-28-2006, 02:14 PM
skene
Burning Brakes

Dude, I think you've got a serious vacuum leak there...and you're going to blow your engine running it that high!!

Seriously though, awsome project! I'd be interested in seeing how it all turns out. Those things seem to have a ton of functionality built into them.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:56 PM
DanG
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by theedge
GM boost control solenoid in its new home.
PWM capable? What about those MAC solenoids you bought before? Have any of the MS guys agreed on a go-to EBC solenoid yet?
Old 07-28-2006, 05:43 PM
nize
Banned

i'm curious, how does the megasquirt compare to the wolf3d ems ? i'm wondering if it's cheaper time-wise to just go with the plug-and-play solution;
http://www.lindseyracing.com/Merchan...ry_Code=WOLF3D
Old 07-28-2006, 06:11 PM
IanS
Instructor

I'm glad the 4017 by itself works.

Have you seen the development of the new high-res MSnSE code? It should give you significantly more stable idle AFRs, especially if you're running big injectors.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:17 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IanS
I'm glad the 4017 by itself works.

Have you seen the development of the new high-res MSnSE code? It should give you significantly more stable idle AFRs, especially if you're running big injectors.
Yeah I keep an eye on the dev forum to see if I can pick anything up. The Hi res stuff does look nifty, but im only running 55lbs (these are the magical 55s from Rolex's car though ) so I think ill be ok for now. I might try it at some point anyway just for ****s and giggles.

Quick Reply: The MegaSquirt Thread (pics)