Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Relay, under glove box????

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:01 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i get a clicking noise regardless of whether my a/c is on or anything.

mostly on the drive to work, but sometimes happens when the car's already warmed up.

it's under the glovebox area, i thought something was terribly wrong and it was the DME or something.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 PM
mods951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im also getting a clicking noise from the passenger side footwell. It happends with the ac on and without it. Sometimes my ac will be blowing hard (set on 4) and then all of a sudden it will slow up like i changed it to the #2 setting then speeds up again.
Old 08-09-2006, 11:06 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The climate controller controls the solenoids which are turned on and off depending upon the environmental conditions and settings. On my first 951 these things started making all kinds of racket just before my controller died. I replaced them first to no effect. Then the controller died altogether (could not control temperature). Replaced controller and everything was fine.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:06 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mods951
Im also getting a clicking noise from the passenger side footwell. It happends with the ac on and without it. Sometimes my ac will be blowing hard (set on 4) and then all of a sudden it will slow up like i changed it to the #2 setting then speeds up again.
I have JUST noticed that also.

I also did, as suggested, turning the climate **** back and forth when my AC doesn't seem as cold, and heard the clicking and then it got cold.

So I guess the solinoid is going bad? or would it be the controller itself?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:09 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommye
The noise is most probably the control motors for the heating/vent flaps.
They usually start audibly clicking a while before they break....
It's normal for them to move at startup. Just turn the temp **** or vent levers to test !

Tommy
I have noticed a strong exhaust smell in the cabin more so when AC is engaged. Could these flaps be letting under hood exhaust smell in if they are going bad???
Old 08-10-2006, 11:51 AM
R.B.
Instructor

What is the part number on the controller? I can't seem to find the right one in PET.

Also what is the part number for the little white clips that hold the flap rods under the drivers side dash?

Thanks,
R.B.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:09 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 95Juan
i get a clicking noise regardless of whether my a/c is on or anything.

mostly on the drive to work, but sometimes happens when the car's already warmed up.

it's under the glovebox area, i thought something was terribly wrong and it was the DME or something.
HOLY ****!!!............I have been hearing this same clicking for months under the glove box...........I was taking the attitude that maybe if I dont look under there and dont *** with it it will go away and everything will be OK.......besides the car is running fine but I thought for sure it was the DME dieing since this seemed to start right after I had an issue with my MAF that shorted some of the MAF wires.

OK so I read through this thread and I am still a little unsure what is the cause of the clicking?? Can ayone take a few pics and visually show what is cliking under there?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:21 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

I don't have a picture, but the solenoids are up under the dash to the left of the glovebox. They have wires and vacuum lines connected to them. There are two of them close together. They act as vacuum switches actuated by the climate controller. If you hear the clicking you can usually reach up underneath the dash and feel the vibration from the solenoids. I'm not aware of any motors in the system as most of the temperature controls are vacuum actuated (at least on later cars). This is a very common issue on these cars.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:34 PM
95Juan
Mexican Ambassador
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Roger, since you're smaller than me, i can only assume that you'll have more luck reaching up in there and getting pics of these things.

So i propose this- you get pics of these things and i'll buy you a burrito.

Old 08-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

I will check under there this weekend.....but unless the clicking is happening I wont know what solenoid is causing it or even if it is a solenoid. Plus my AC has never worked and so I dont mess with the temp controls so I wonder why I have this clicking now?

I suggest we mae a run to HMB and you buy me a buritto from Tres Amigos..........
Old 08-10-2006, 02:41 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

can this (climate control) just be bypassed? but still have temp control?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:50 PM
dme
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddk911
can this (climate control) just be bypassed? but still have temp control?
The climate controller is the dash controller for the heat and AC.
My car made the clicking sound for awhile and then my controller failed altogether. You don't need the AC to hear the clicking. Mine started dying in the winter and finally I had no AC and no temperature control. I recently bought a spare controller with a bad AC (snowflake) switch which I'm currently trying to fix so I'll have a spare.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:21 PM
mods951
Instructor

i kept moving my tempature from cold to hot and the clicking went away and it doesnt surge anymore. I dont know how long it will last though but im keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:42 AM
tommye
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are 3 control motors - 1 for the temp. mix flap, 1 for the defroster flap and 1 for the fotwell flap. (see Clarks Garage).
These units are used in other car brands as well and they do break from time to time. Often preceeded by louder and louder clicking noises.......
However, it is normal that they make a little noise - you can test them with the engine off (ignition on).

Good luck !
Tommy
Old 08-11-2006, 03:00 AM
Andial951
Legend Killer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tommye
There are 3 control motors - 1 for the temp. mix flap, 1 for the defroster flap and 1 for the fotwell flap. (see Clarks Garage).
These units are used in other car brands as well and they do break from time to time. Often preceeded by louder and louder clicking noises.......
However, it is normal that they make a little noise - you can test them with the engine off (ignition on).

Good luck !
Tommy
How do you test them? Tap on them? Move the controls around?

Quick Reply: Relay, under glove box????